Sign the Petition - A Light for Aly Purvis

R

Rienell

I don't mean to be insensitive. I do feel for the families and that whole situation was dreadfully awful. But this is a "band aid" petition asking to fix a symptom and not the real problem.
I would like to see a history on how many accidents have happened at that exact site before I vote yay on this petition. If I see a trend and agree, I will vote yay. Where can one find such information?
Otherwise, putting a stop light there is only going to back up traffic and cause more delays on 4 which we don't need unless it's absolutely necessary.

Khurley

I saw on the news last night that there have been 5, 4, and 2 accidents at the Skinners Turn intersection over the last 3 years - this is the first death.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I don't mean to be insensitive. I do feel for the families and that whole situation was dreadfully awful. But this is a "band aid" petition asking to fix a symptom and not the real problem.
I would like to see a history on how many accidents have happened at that exact site before I vote yay on this petition. If I see a trend and agree, I will vote yay. Where can one find such information?
Otherwise, putting a stop light there is only going to back up traffic and cause more delays on 4 which we don't need unless it's absolutely necessary.

Hmm...let me think about this. Busy intersection, traffic light...busy intersection, no traffic light...busy intersection, traffic light. Yeah, I think a traffic light is a good idea.

hammishsqueak

We're all mad here.
Okay, since my boyfriend's father said this, he may or may not be making it up :duh: He told me once that the county generally doesn't consider putting up a light somewhere until there have been at least three fatal accidents. He said that there used to not be a light at White Sands and that after a few fatalities they put up a light. Sounds odd to me.

tommyjones

Okay, since my boyfriend's father said this, he may or may not be making it up :duh: He told me once that the county generally doesn't consider putting up a light somewhere until there have been at least three fatal accidents. He said that there used to not be a light at White Sands and that after a few fatalities they put up a light. Sounds odd to me.

you are right, they shouldput lights at ALL intersections. :sarcasm:

BTW, they have to have some way of determining if there is a need, The engineers can only do so much to keep people from making stupid mistakes.

R

Rienell

Well, compare that to the ratio of accidents/deaths at other similar intersections over 3 years and that should warrant the justification for a light.

I know someone will probably come in here and blast me, saying "how many ppl have to die before we put a light in!". If that's the case, we have to put a light at every intersection there's been a death. We can't do that. I'm sorry this girl lost her life, but it was an accident due to bad judgement.. not a DOT inadequacy.

I could get hit in the head by a meteroite within the next three years while walking around, but I'm not going to wear a helmet unless it becomes more common, see.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Well, compare that to the ratio of accidents/deaths at other similar intersections over 3 years and that should warrant the justification for a light.

I know someone will probably come in here and blast me, saying "how many ppl have to die before we put a light in!". If that's the case, we have to put a light at every intersection there's been a death. We can't do that. I'm sorry this girl lost her life, but it was an accident due to bad judgement.. not a DOT inadequacy.

I could get hit in the head by a meteroite within the next three years while walking around, but I'm not going to wear a helmet unless it becomes more common, see.

Well, why don't you show us where you get the statistics to determine your ratio? While you're at it, why don't you show us how the DOT determines how busy an intersection is. And just as a bonus, maybe you could give us links to those statistics.

R

Rienell

Well, why don't you show us where you get the statistics to determine your ratio? While you're at it, why don't you show us how the DOT determines how busy an intersection is. And just as a bonus, maybe you could give us links to those statistics.

You didn't even read my post, else you would've seen that I asked those very questions initially. Where is this information found at?
I'll vote yes, if it's warranted. But I don't think making these sorts of decisions based on emotion instead of rational logic is a good idea. That's all I'm saying... back up the need.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
You didn't even read my post, else you would've seen that I asked those very questions initially. Where is this information found at?
I'll vote yes, if it's warranted. But I don't think making these sorts of decisions based on emotion instead of rational logic is a good idea. That's all I'm saying... back up the need.

Why would you be opposed to having a traffic light at a busy intersection?

R

Rienell

Why would you be opposed to having a traffic light at a busy intersection?
Like I previously mentioned, a light there will back up traffick and cause unnecessary delays. I drive from Prince Frederick to DC everyday; It's hard enough trying to make a simple U-Turn let alone cross completely over ANYWHERE on Rt 4 during peak hours. Not just there.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Like I previously mentioned, a light there will back up traffick and cause unnecessary delays. I drive from Prince Frederick to DC everyday; It's hard enough trying to make a simple U-Turn let alone cross completely over ANYWHERE on Rt 4 during peak hours. Not just there.

Wah. Leave earlier.