"public parks" a place to play ball??

robbie

Son plays baseball in school, etc. Today they had off in Charles. A bunch of them meet up at Bennsville to hit, practice etc. before the weather gets bad. In no time they are told they have to leave the field. They do not litter it up or tear it up, just want to practice ball. They go to White Plains, same thing. None of the high schools will let them practice there also. Where do teenagers go just to play a little ball???
They are not hanging out partying, getting into trouble, etc. They just are out getting some fresh air and trying to improve their skills.
With all the trouble kids are getting into etc. why not let them play. I know the fields have a lot of upkeep but at least put one aside where you don't mind if they tear up a little grass or something. I thought public park meant "public". At least I know my tax dollars are paying for facilities that my kids can't use. Thanks for the vent.

I have the same problem to. Here the parks and rec have every public park reserved for team sports and no where for just anyone to go and have fun

hurricane

It's 5 O'clock somewhere!
Son plays baseball in school, etc. Today they had off in Charles. A bunch of them meet up at Bennsville to hit, practice etc. before the weather gets bad. In no time they are told they have to leave the field. They do not litter it up or tear it up, just want to practice ball. They go to White Plains, same thing. None of the high schools will let them practice there also. Where do teenagers go just to play a little ball???
They are not hanging out partying, getting into trouble, etc. They just are out getting some fresh air and trying to improve their skills.
With all the trouble kids are getting into etc. why not let them play. I know the fields have a lot of upkeep but at least put one aside where you don't mind if they tear up a little grass or something. I thought public park meant "public". At least I know my tax dollars are paying for facilities that my kids can't use. Thanks for the vent.

Back in early September, a friend of mine and I went over to Hallowing Point Park on a Fri and a Sat to play "Home Run Derby". :whistle: While we got some strange looks from the workers there on Fri, no one asked us to leave. In fact, on Sat morning, one gentleman was leveling the infield of the field we had used on friday, so I went up to him to ask if it was ok to use another field. He pointed us to the one behind him. :howdy:

Your mileage may vary

-H

hurricane

It's 5 O'clock somewhere!
From the Charles County Parks and Rec site.

White Plains Park is located at the intersection of DeMarr Road and St. Charles Parkway. Facilities include an 18 hole golf course, lighted tennis courts, tot lot and playground, and several small picnic pavilions available on a first come, first served, basis. Athletic fields (for official league use-by permit only) include three soccer fields, one lighted softball field, one lighted baseball field, one lighted Little League field and one lighted football field. Also a field is available for community pick-up play.

-H

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Assuming the kids weren't causing trouble, and if the fields aren't reserved for league practice/play, then they should be open to the public since we are paying for them. Perhaps they were doing field maintenance today? Find out if anyone you know has had a similar experience. Write a letter or call your county commissioners and ask what their policy is on use of public facilities. Get your friends to write letters and if you don't get a response, threaten to vote them (the commissioners) out next time if something isn't done. Or write an editorial in the paper. I was not aware of this problem and I'm sure many others aren't either but taxpayer-supported public parks should be open to the public.

robbie

Thanks so much. I am going to call tomorrow. The boys just left when they were told. I don't think they think to ask if there is a field that they can use. If one field is set aside for public use, then I wonder if it marked with a sign or something so they know where to go. In this day and age of kids sitting in front of the computer screen or xbox all day I love to see them get out and practice. Some of these kids go to different schools and meet up to play even though they play for different teams.
I have to say though, with all the accidents this week, I was glad to see him walk through the door! My prayers to the kids families.

robbie

I looked at the Bennsville park info. and it says a field is set aside for public use also. Why didn't the two men who told them to leave just tell them where they could play?? They said the park was almost empty.

That is interesting - never thought about this one...

I do know the big three (Laurel Springs in LaPlata, Oak Ridge in Hughesville and White Plains Regional) fields are by permit only. These permits are issued to Little League and High Schools.

Bennsville has a seperate community field - no permit needed, the other fields need a permit...

When we wanted to play ball we went to TC Martin Elementary or St. Mary's Bryantown Church (across the street) and played/practiced ball... there was never any problems, but that was also 25 years ago! I would suggest a local school...

CC Parks and Rec Field Page