Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Houses in St Marys to require Sprinkler System

czygvtwkr

New Houses in St Marys to require Sprinkler System

I think this is a little on the silly side. First off how many people have died in St Marys because of a house fire?

One of the BOCC's reasoning was to eliminate the costly loss of a fire. Have you ever seen a sprinkler system go off when it wasn't supposed to? I have twice in the last 5 years and it makes quite a mess and for the most part would ruin everything in the house. In this same 5 years I haven't seen a fire. Finally it seems that there are no certified installers in St Marys. Most home fires occur in poorly maintained older houses, but of course they will not have the sprinkler systems.

Don't these guys have something better to do? How about cleaning up the Great Mills Road area?

2. 11-07-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Patch Tuesday View Post
    I'm with the BOCC on this one. If it saves even one life, then it's worth it. Besides, townhomes have been required to have sprinklers for years now and I haven't read any horror stories or heard of any mishaps...

Would be great if some of the firefighter folks add some comments...

I had a sprinkler system at my last house it kept the grass nice and green
    Forget RedBull I've got GOLD WINGS!

HATE IS THE POISON YOU CONSUME HOPEING SOMEONE ELSE WILL DIE

Anything to save a life...

Side note - the water STINKS to high heaven in those things when they go off (PHEW!!!) Stale and Stagnent...

Anyhow - I think it is more along the lines of life saving vice property loss... yes, they make a mess... the BOCC thinks of property, but indirectly they are saving lives.

I bet those Fire Fighters in DC wish there were operating sprinklers in that BLDG that went up last week...
    Last edited by clevalley; 11-07-2007 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougstermd View Post
    I had a sprinkler system at my last house it kept the grass nice and green
    Inside silly goose!!! :

That was funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patch Tuesday View Post
    I'm with the BOCC on this one. If it saves even one life, then it's worth it. Besides, townhomes have been required to have sprinklers for years now and I haven't read any horror stories or heard of any mishaps...

Would be great if some of the firefighter folks add some comments...

The Amish are the ones fighting this one.
    huh??

Quote Originally Posted by spike2763 View Post
    The Amish are the ones fighting this one.
    Years ago, didn't SMC pass an ordinance that new houses required indoor plumbing, which put a squeeze on the Amish?

czygvtwkr
    Quote Originally Posted by clevalley View Post
    Anything to save a life...
    If their goal is to save lives I think there are other issues they could address that actually have a significant number of deaths attributed to them.

The most likely houses to burn down are older ones or ones that are jam packed with flammable crap. These houses are also the most likely to not have sprinklers in them, not to mention if they did are also the most likely to have a sprinkler system that needs work done to it for it to be reliable.

And both of the instances I saw where sprinklers went off accidently the water was black, stinky, and somewhat like diaraha being rained down.

:snort:

Which member of the BOCC owns (or has ties to) a plumbing company?

Quote Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post
    Is your google broke?

They call me ... Sarcasmo kom526's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    New homes on public water will have to have sprinkler systems. Maybe this is an indirect way to to curb new housing developments.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.

Somewhere, a teacher is crying with their red marker after reading your dribble.

11. 11-08-2007, 07:54 AM

czygvtwkr
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    :snort:

Which member of the BOCC owns (or has ties to) a plumbing company?

Was thinking the exact same thing.

If I ever buy a house that has one in it, I will be installing a quarter turn valve and turning it off. Insurance companies are more likely to drop you after your house has water damage (due to mold) than if it burns down.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.