Coming Home...sort of

WPoFD

Wpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofd

Last edited:
P

Patch Tuesday

First a little background: About 17 years ago I left Maryland to pursue my professional and academic development. Now I am coming home...sort of. I grew up in Montgomery and Frederick Counties; however, I am soon relocating to Southern Maryland for work (the job location is California, MD).

My concern(s), with which I hope you can help me, is that I don't really know the area. If you've ever moved outside of your "stomping grounds," you know exactly what I'm talking about: you move in and two months later you realize you chose the wrong neighborhood, but now you've signed a lease and you're stuck. When I was in the military this problem was fairly easy to solve: talk to other soldiers. So, I'm reaching out the folks at somd.com for help.

After I was hired, one of my future coworkers said "You do NOT want to live in [name of nearby town]." So I'd like to avoid any problems and know what neighboord(s) I'd like to live in BEFORE I get out there. Anywhere within 30 minutes of California is fine, in either Calvert or St. Mary's counties.

What am I looking for? As a 35-year-old professional male, I want a nice, quiet neighborhood where I can rent a house (not a room or apartment). Because I'm childless, I'm not concerned about schools (though I realize the nicer neighborhoods and school tend to be located near one another). Yes, I've browsed somd's classifieds, and my new company is providing relocation and a realtor service, but I want to hear the totally biased truth from YOU.

So...Where to live? Where to avoid?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There's also rentals advertised on the local MLS...

HomesDatabase

Check the property in the Maryland Tax Records to get the owners name:

Real Property Search

Then check the Maryland court records (check the three SOMD counties individually for accurate results) to make sure the landlord doesn't have a negative history of financial problems or other unsavory issues...

Maryland Judiciary Case Search

You can also request a free account here to view how many properties the landlord owns and how highly leveraged they are financially against these properties. You don't want to rent from a flipper that's going into foreclosure:

MDLandRec.Net A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland

:coffee:

Last edited by a moderator:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
After I was hired, one of my future coworkers said "You do NOT want to live in [name of nearby town]."

Contrary to what many people say, not all parts of Lexington Park is bad. Just stay away from the Great Mills Roads areas of LP City.

P

Patch Tuesday

Contrary to what many people say, not all parts of Lexington Park is bad. Just stay away from the Great Mills Roads areas of LP City.

I always thought the Cedar Cove area (Just outside Gate 3) of Lexington Park, off of Long Lane, was a hidden gem...

happy2b

I use to live in Lexington park, moved to Lusby and I would never go back to LP. Lusby is more quiet, even though their are more shopping centers being built. There are a number of communities you can choose from depending on the $ you want to spend. If you are looking to rent a house, Ches. Ranch, or Drum point are probably your best options. If you are looking to buy, P. Frederick or Lusby area. The condos in Solomons are a lot of $ for not much substance so I would steer clear. Hope that helps, thats just my opinion. Been here 12 years!

happy2b

One more thing, may I also make a suggestion. Since your company is offering relocation services, dont pick a realtor who's just looking for a sale. I personally have used Century 21, they are in California and in a new building just b4 target shopping center. My realtor was Mary Ann Schimpf and she has been there forever! She knows the areas well and can offer you a lot of information. Some of the newer realtors are just looking for a sale and are not as interested in your needs. So even if you dont pick her, go with someone who's been in the business for a while. The area has changed a lot in the past few years. Hope that helps.

WPoFD

WPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDWPOFDv

Last edited:
P

Patch Tuesday

Any information about the area helps, e.g. what banks are best and/or most prevalent. I used to bank with Chevy Chase many years ago, but I’m unsure how many branches and ATMs exist in SoMd.

The housing info is the most important, however. Thanks again.

Anyway, this precisely the insight for which I was looking -- please keep it coming.

What kind of density are you looking for? In other words do you want a lot of privacy, or is a subdivision fine? Do you consider a townhome as a house? Do you want to be close to stores, restaurants etc? What price range?

happy2b

Well, I love Calvert as opposed to St. Mary's. Great place to live. Better group of residents in my opinion. What company will you be working for. Reason I ask is certian banks such as Cedar Point FCU or Navy Fed. your company has to be a member to join. I prefer Ced. Point. FCU instead of the local banks. They offer many perks and no fees. They have many ATM machines in calvert and s.m., 3 Bank branches in S.M. and 2 in Calvert. Their web site is CPFCU.com.

WPoFD

Wpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofd

Last edited:

greyhound

Well, I love Calvert as opposed to St. Mary's. Great place to live. Better group of residents in my opinion. What company will you be working for. Reason I ask is certian banks such as Cedar Point FCU or Navy Fed. your company has to be a member to join. I prefer Ced. Point. FCU instead of the local banks. They offer many perks and no fees. They have many ATM machines in calvert and s.m., 3 Bank branches in S.M. and 2 in Calvert. Their web site is CPFCU.com.

Calvert.....Bad Bad bad!!!!!!!:popcorn:

P

Patch Tuesday

A house or townhome is ideal for me; while I'd like privacy and peace, I realize it's a financial tradeoff. I'm just fine with a subdivision so long as it is quiet, safe, and nice. What I don't want is an apartment complex.

As far as price, I've reviewed the websites shared in a previous post and I'm thinking somewhere between $1500-$2000 is realistic for my expectations.

I'm not a fan of rural living, e.g. no dirt or gravel roads, well water, or looooong drives to shopping. My Army "roughing it" days are over; plus I rather enjoy living in a modern, first-world society. :yahoo: Just kidding.

Thanks again and keep it coming.

Here's a couple of possible choices. These things sell for between 500-600k, and they're a real bargain for these rent prices.

They're located along the water just below downtown Leonardtown, future home of Leonardtown Wharf. Huge police presence just down the road and they're not gonna tolerate a lot of rowdiness in this area. You'll be in walking distance of eats and drinks...

- Property Finder

- Property Finder - IRENE & LEN PARRISH

Wildewood is another area you should consider that is very close to where you'll be working...

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I would say try the Wildwood area as well. You will have your choice of condos, townhomes and houses. I am pretty sure you can find something in your price range and you will be close to pretty much everything.

WPoFD

Wpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofdwpofd

Last edited:

greyhound

I can deal with that; people in Montana were the same way. My standing explanation that, in service to my Nation I sacrificed my body so as to preserve those freedoms and liberties we enjoy and was subsequently retired as a disabled vet, typically shut up those types. Regardless, anyone who does not recognize the abject idiocy of such a ridiculous position is not someone whose opinion matters to me anyway.

Wow.....

It was just a Calvert County Joke. Get used to it if you are going to hang around So. md. Forums.

WPoFD

Last edited: