"Walk to end homelessness" in Charles County, Sat. Nov 17 @ 9 a.m.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Greetings, I'm posting this here because there are forms involved--and this makes it easy for all...

-----

Please plan to join us for the 5th annual "Walk to end homelessness" in Charles County. An enjoyable 3 mile walk through La Plata, raising awareness and generating funds to help shelter our homeless through the Safe Nights program and to eventually end homelessness right here in our county. Saturday November 17th, 2007, La Plata Town Hall, walk begins at 9:00 a.m.

Flyer, sponsorship form and registration form attached.

*Walk sponsored by the Charles County Homeless and Emergency Shelter Committee

Attachments

• End Homelessness Walk Flyer.pdf
    63.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Pledge Form.pdf
    95.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Registration Form 2007.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 43

GreenHornet

I think the homeless people need to walk into a few local establishments and apply for a JOB! The only people who can end homelessness are the bums that don't want to work!

Walk for the homeless people = ridiculous!

TruPeace

Well some homeless people actually do have a job but can't afford housing. Too many are ignorant the subject of the homeless because of stereotypes.

Pete

Repete
I think the homeless people need to walk into a few local establishments and apply for a JOB! The only people who can end homelessness are the bums that don't want to work!

Maybe they are walking them over to PG county, thus eliminating the homeless in Charles County. :shrug:

GreenHornet

Well some homeless people actually do have a job but can't afford housing. Too many are ignorant the subject of the homeless because of stereotypes.

Oh wait let me apologize... Nevermind I stand by what I said and I don't feel sorry for homeless people under any circumstance. I work hard and pay my taxes. They should too.... If they need more money they should work more than one job.... Heck, they should team up and rent an apartment and combine their income so they can afford to pay rent! Anything should be better than being homeless! If they are illegal immigrants (like many of them are) they should leave our great country because I'm tired of my hard earned wages supporting them in their quest for freedom. You want to come into America? Do it legally like my ancestors did. This isn't an ignornat stance I'm taking it's a rational one. I'm not talking about stereotypes here I'm talking about homeless people who should be working, earning a wage and living somewhere other than under a bridge or in a shelter financed by liberals who like giving away honest hard working Americans money!

Cheers!

somdprincess

The one and only Princess
Oh wait let me apologize... Nevermind I stand by what I said and I don't feel sorry for homeless people under any circumstance. I work hard and pay my taxes. They should too.... If they need more money they should work more than one job.... Heck, they should team up and rent an apartment and combine their income so they can afford to pay rent! Anything should be better than being homeless! If they are illegal immigrants (like many of them are) they should leave our great country because I'm tired of my hard earned wages supporting them in their quest for freedom. You want to come into America? Do it legally like my ancestors did. This isn't an ignornat stance I'm taking it's a rational one. I'm not talking about stereotypes here I'm talking about homeless people who should be working, earning a wage and living somewhere other than under a bridge or in a shelter financed by liberals who like giving away honest hard working Americans money!

Cheers!

If you do not want to do it then don't. No one is forcing you to. There are plenty of people who do want to help. So don't belittle someones cause just because you don't support it.

GreenHornet

If you do not want to do it then don't. No one is forcing you to. There are plenty of people who do want to help. So don't belittle someones cause just because you don't support it.

Trust me I don't and wasn't planning on walking for the homeless. I just stated an opinion to which someone responded. I simply responded back that's all. This is just my opinion. Being an opinion it's neither right nor wrong and you can choose to agree, disagree or ignore my comments. Responding to them (as you have) keeps the conversation alive.

To all who are offended: Ignore me or I'll keep responding. This is a forum and that is how forums work. To all the forum members who will be walking to end homelessness I applaud your efforts.... Just out of curiosity though, will the homeless people join in and walk for their own cause? I would hope the answer to this question is yes; otherwise you may want to spare your energy for something of greater importance, a more worthwhile cause..... Again this of course is just my opinion which shouldn't be interpreted as a fact.

Cheers!

keekee

Cheers!

AMEN!

I bust my a$$ at work every day so that I can support myself & my family. Why should I pay for those who sit around & wait for handouts?

I'll be danged if I'm going to support their lazy azzes any more than I already have to thru taxes.

:cussing:

Chainsaw Slayer

AMEN!

I bust my a$$ at work every day so that I can support myself & my family. Why should I pay for those who sit around & wait for handouts?

I'll be danged if I'm going to support their lazy azzes any more than I already have to thru taxes.

:cussing:

Those lazy bumbs just need to get a job. Also a lot of homeless people are content with their lifestyle and don't want to get a jobb or a home.

MMDad

Lem Putt

There may be some who work, but they are the exception, not the rule.

In the US, almost all homelessness is caused by either substance abuse or mental illness. Marching to cure homelessness is trying to treat the symptom while ignoring the problem.

If you want to end homelesssness, work on mental illness and substance abuse. Without those two factors, there wouldn't be a problem.

queencity28

Cheers!

The majority of homeless people have some sort of mental illness. And I remember reading on CCN.com that around 25% of the homeless in our country are war vets. Your high and mighty attitude that a job is going to fix the problem is pretty ignorant. In fact, you never know what life may throw at you. Layoffs, illness, extraordinary circumtances.... the majority of Americans are close to a couple paychecks away from being homeless.

GreenHornet

The majority of homeless people have some sort of mental illness. And I remember reading on CCN.com that around 25% of the homeless in our country are war vets. Your high and mighty attitude that a job is going to fix the problem is pretty ignorant. In fact, you never know what life may throw at you. Layoffs, illness, extraordinary circumtances.... the majority of Americans are close to a couple paychecks away from being homeless.

Ignorant huh?

I'm a war vet and I have a job. If someoene is two pay checks away from being homeless than it sounds like money management is the issue. Extraordinary circumstances can all be over come with the correct attitude and willingness to change the future. There are VA programs for vets and there are Government programs for people with disabilties already in place to help those which fall into this category. layoffs - look for another job... Can't find one right away? take two jobs working for less money if need be...You worked, so collect the un-employment if you need to until a job becomes available. Can't make the mortgage payment? Sell, downsize, do whatever it takes.

High and mighty stance? That's your opinion..... Truth of the matter is, is that your "facts" are unsubstantiated. The vast majority of homeless people are addicted to drugs, lazy or they just made very poor choices (their fault). Why should honest hard working Americans have to pick up the Bill for these people?

There are simply too many worthwhile causes out there to be waisting time on those who are un-willing to help themselves.....

Cheers!

somdprincess

The one and only Princess
Ignorant huh?

I'm a war vet and I have a job. If someoene is two pay checks away from being homeless than it sounds like money management is the issue. Extraordinary circumstances can all be over come with the correct attitude and willingness to change the future. There are VA programs for vets and there are Government programs for people with disabilties already in place to help those which fall into this category. layoffs - look for another job... Can't find one right away? take two jobs working for less money if need be...You worked, so collect the un-employment if you need to until a job becomes available. Can't make the mortgage payment? Sell, downsize, do whatever it takes.

High and mighty stance? That's your opinion..... Truth of the matter is, is that your "facts" are unsubstantiated. The vast majority of homeless people are addicted to drugs, lazy or they just made very poor choices (their fault). Why should honest hard working Americans have to pick up the Bill for these people?

There are simply too many worthwhile causes out there to be waisting time on those who are un-willing to help themselves.....

Cheers!

Oh come on, You cannot base everyone else on what you do or have. You show me some valid statistics backing up your claims. Hard working people do not HAVE to do anything. This is a choice. Simple as that. You have no idea about all the homeless people you are only assuming. So your facts are just as unsubstantiated.

It is a personal choice to help others. You made it clear you don't want to so why try and hammer it in to those who do?

Novus Collectus

WASHINGTON — Veterans make up one in four homeless people in the United States, though they are only 11 percent of the general adult population, according to a report to be released Thursday.

And homelessness is not just a problem among middle-age and elderly veterans. Younger veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan are trickling into shelters and soup kitchens seeking services, treatment or help with finding a job.

The Veterans Affairs Department has identified 1,500 homeless veterans from the current wars and says 400 of them have participated in its programs specifically targeting homelessness.

The National Alliance to End Homelessness, a public education nonprofit, based the findings of its report on numbers from Veterans Affairs and the Census Bureau. 2005 data estimated that 194,254 homeless people out of 744,313 on any given night were veterans.
Study: 1 out of 4 Homeless Are Veterans :: WRAL.com

GreenHornet

Oh come on, You cannot base everyone else on what you do or have. You show me some valid statistics backing up your claims. Hard working people do not HAVE to do anything. This is a choice. Simple as that. You have no idea about all the homeless people you are only assuming. So your facts are just as unsubstantiated.

It is a personal choice to help others. You made it clear you don't want to so why try and hammer it in to those who do?

As I so clearly pointed out in another post on this thread

"To all who are offended: Ignore me or I'll keep responding. This is a forum and that is how forums work. To all the forum members who will be walking to end homelessness I applaud your efforts.... Just out of curiosity though, will the homeless people join in and walk for their own cause? I would hope the answer to this question is yes; otherwise you may want to spare your energy for something of greater importance, a more worthwhile cause..... Again this of course is just my opinion which shouldn't be interpreted as a fact."

I'm not trying to hammer anything to anyone. I'm simply just responding to posters who are responding to me.... Want me to stop responding? It's simple for even the most simplest of minds to figure out. Stop responding to my comments.

My facts may be unsubstantiated but that's not my point. My point is that your facts were unsubstantiated. Here's one of your quotes just to prove my point: "You have no idea about all the homeless people you are only assuming. So your facts are just as unsubstantiated." Yes my facts are just as unsubstantiated as YOURS.

Cheers