cell phone for kids

HappyCats

Thinking about getting my kid a cell phone. Has anyone tried the "Kajeet" phone for kids? Just curious how coverage is and how much $$ do you keep in the wallet for usage?

TIA:howdy:

somdprincess

The one and only Princess
10 going on 16:whistle:

If it were me those gophones are great. They are inexpensive and can be brought at target and it is prepaid which avoids surprises in the bill and with plans they offer for a small amount you can get unlimited texting which seems to be the big thing now

HappyCats

If it were me those gophones are great. They are inexpensive and can be brought at target and it is prepaid which avoids surprises in the bill and with plans they offer for a small amount you can get unlimited texting which seems to be the big thing now

thanks for the input. We are just starting to look. The Kajeet one is available at target too. Its prepaid. It also gives you the capability to limit calls in and out. Also you can block it from working, like when they are in school, just in case they sneak it in.

I know it really depends on the kid as to how much $$ to keep on it, but I am more curious about whether anyone has used it and if the coverage is good.

somdprincess

thanks for the input. We are just starting to look. The Kajeet one is available at target too. Its prepaid. It also gives you the capability to limit calls in and out. Also you can block it from working, like when they are in school, just in case they sneak it in.

I know it really depends on the kid as to how much $$ to keep on it, but I am more curious about whether anyone has used it and if the coverage is good.

nope I always had the go phones but my kids are older maybe that is why it works so well for them. I have to be honest I never even heard of that phone. It would be interesting to see the coverage in our area

HappyCats

Why do they need a cell phone @ 10?

Split family situation. She goes to her Dad's every other weekend. Sometimes, I call to talk to her and have to leave a message. It doesn't get returned for almost 24 hours. I shouldn't have to wait to talk to my kid.

I don't think it would hurt, it just might teach her some responsibility BUT I want to have some control over it.

besides...its almost Christmas! :yahoo:

HappyCats

nope I always had the go phones but my kids are older maybe that is why it works so well for them. I have to be honest I never even heard of that phone. It would be interesting to see the coverage in our area

Thanks for your honesty. If she was older, I would be more willing to get her one that had less control features on it, but I don't want her :blahblah: all the time... that's not why we are considering giving her one.

somdprincess

Thanks for your honesty. If she was older, I would be more willing to get her one that had less control features on it, but I don't want her :blahblah: all the time... that's not why we are considering giving her one.

I hear ya. Besides 10 really is not a bad age for them to start using the cell phone. You know your kid best and the situation.

It gives me a peace of mind that I can call them or they can call me if they ever need to.

MDTerps

Back in the saddle
Does dad have a phone you can call when the child is with him? My childs time is split 50/50. If I need to talk to him I will call the home phone if I don't get an answer I will call dads cell. There is no need for my almost 10 year old to have a cell phone.

JMO~ Different strokes different folks.

bubble_gum_yum

I actually think its a good idea although, I do think it should be a very basic phone with limited features. The phone will teach the child a bit of responsibility and it gives the parent immediate access to her regardless of where she's at. If it turns out that the phone is more of a nuisance ... it can always be taken away :shrug:

somdprincess

I actually think its a good idea although, I do think it should be a very basic phone with limited features. The phone will teach the child a bit of responsibility and it gives the parent immediate access to her regardless of where she's at. If it turns out that the phone is more of a nuisance ... it can always be taken away :shrug:

I agree, very well said.

C

czygvtwkr

Virgin Mobile works pretty well in this area, the service is cheap and you can get a new phone for $20 when they loose it.

HappyCats

Does dad have a phone you can call when the child is with him? My childs time is split 50/50. If I need to talk to him I will call the home phone if I don't get an answer I will call dads cell. There is no need for my almost 10 year old to have a cell phone.

JMO~ Different strokes different folks.

Yes he does and he is a good dad, it just seems that lately, he hasn't been answering either very often. I am getting tired of not being able to talk to her. Just trying to figure out a good solution.

somdprincess

Yes he does and he is a good dad, it just seems that lately, he hasn't been answering either very often. I am getting tired of not being able to talk to her. Just trying to figure out a good solution.

Well good luck, I know how frustrating it is when the kids are gone and you want to talk to them and can't reach them

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
I am thinking that Kajeet is under the Sprint/Nextel network. For the most part, whereever Sprint works so will Kajeet. I added my son to our family plan for 10 bucks a month, is that an option for you?

somdprincess

I have one step child from my hubby and the childs mother can be a real pain in the butt sometimes. We got the kids cell phones because of after school projects, if they are with friends at the mall or just out. You never know when a cell phone can come in handy.

She refuse to let the child use the phone. Hubby had to have the lawyer take over it and they actually had to go to mediation because of it.

She now lets the child bring and use the phone. We of course only call if we cannot get a hold of them with the land line. But I cannot believe she made us go thru all that.

We put my son on our family plan - we got him a regular phone and restricted it... he could only call the numbers we programmed and put in the speed dial.

Anyone could call his number, but only a select few had it.

I would say it depends on the child... our son was 9 and my mother watched him (70) when we went to work. Half the time she forgot her cell phone or did not turn it on when they went somewhere. I finally got ticked and just went out and got him one, I figured the 9 year old would remember and it gave him some "big-boy" responsibility. At 9 he was very responsible and never abused it. He is now 11 and has one that is un-restricted. All of his friends are on the same network and they call each other (kind of funny) and talk... it is better that tying the house phone up and does not cost us anything... plus I have the peace of mind knowing that if he is at school and something happens he can pull it out, power it on and call... he uses the MP3 player feature on the bus to listen to music or audio-books.