Another teen dies in wreck

I

Inkpen

Here is another one...
And the driver did not have a license....

Teen Death Toll in Crashes Spirals Up
17-Year-Old Dies in Montgomery, the Seventh Victim in Md. in Recent Days

By Daniel de Vise and Megan Greenwell
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, November 13, 2007; Page A01

The silver Toyota Corolla carrying 17-year-old Christian Cruz and three friends on a midnight food run swerved off a slick Montgomery County road and hit an elm tree early yesterday, making him the seventh suburban Maryland teenager to die in a traffic accident in little more than a week. Neither Cruz nor any of his 15-year-old friends in the Corolla was licensed to drive.

More of the story from the Washington Post
:

Seven children in a weeks time.
So very sad.....

OldHillcrestGuy

This happened around 10pm. What were these two doing out driving around that late at night on a Monday?? Friday/Saturday, I can understand. Would raising the age limit help any, I wonder? Maybe can't get your license until 18?? Unfortunately that penalizes the "good" kids who are responsibible at 16/17 but this is very sad that all these lives are being lost.

This accident happened just before 10pm on Sunday night with no school the next day because of Veterans Day.
It hasn't mentioned who was at fault in any article I have read so far, these kids may have been coming home from a part-time job, and taking your quote, these kids might just be the ""good kids" who are responsible at 16/17".:shrug:

robbie

My teen is driving now and I can't believe the pressure that he gets from other kids wanting a ride. They KNOW he cannot have others in the car and still its constant pressure. We have gotten into arguments over this. He doesn't let them in so far because we've made it clear that they keys would be gone!!
I have heard his friends comment about how they never get pulled over if they have others in the car. I just wonder how many times the police even bother to pull them over if they suspect they are at the age where they cannot have any passengers. They all say this like its a joke.

wineo

loving life
My teen is driving now and I can't believe the pressure that he gets from other kids wanting a ride. They KNOW he cannot have others in the car and still its constant pressure. We have gotten into arguments over this. He doesn't let them in so far because we've made it clear that they keys would be gone!!
I have heard his friends comment about how they never get pulled over if they have others in the car. I just wonder how many times the police even bother to pull them over if they suspect they are at the age where they cannot have any passengers. They all say this like its a joke.

According to my niece it depends on the officer that stops you. She says her friends have been stopped with other kids in the car and nothing happened to them. She was not allowed to have anyone with her untill it was legal and she had many arguments with her mom over friends riding with her.

OldHillcrestGuy

This might fall under what use to be called reasonable cause, I could be wrong, help me SMCOP, I think at one time when seat belt rules came into effect, officers could not randomly pull you over if they saw the belt wasnt being worn, they needed another voliation, maybe a moving one or equipment repair to stop you.:shrug:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
This might fall under what use to be called reasonable cause, I could be wrong, help me SMCOP, I think at one time when seat belt rules came into effect, officers could not randomly pull you over if they saw the belt wasnt being worn, they needed another voliation, maybe a moving one or equipment repair to stop you.:shrug:
:yeahthat: They can't possibly be pulling over kids for looking too young to have passengers. There is too much variation in how mature kids that age look.

Floyd2004

-Void-
This is why I stay off the streets in the summertime when the little boys and girls are out of school ripping down the streets.

Teens or not, people need to learn to slow down and take your time.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

IF the cop stops a teen.. because they LOOK like they are too young to be driving with others in the car.. isn't that PROFILING!??

I do believe it's another UNENFORCABLE law. that makes the politicians feel good about themselves, because they can say.."LOOK what I did to save your kids" when in fact they've (Apparently) done nothing.

A cop MAY give an underage driver a ticket for the above IF they stop them for another reason, but I honestly don't think they are going to pull someone over on 235 because the cop THINKS the driver looks too young to be driving with someone else in their car.

~mellabella~

I work for an insurance agency, and to see some of this really tears me up. I hate to see irresponsibility lead to such tradgedy. It's senseless, really.

Plan B

The boys, together for a Sunday-night sleepover, set out for food sometime past midnight. Cruz did not drive, according to his mother.''
''...The boys were heading west along Bonifant Road through a wooded area of Wheaton when the driver lost control, skidding across the eastbound lane, off the road and into a tree. A piece of the car's silver body lay behind the bent tree trunk yesterday at the muddy accident site.''

Looks like they were hungry.
And unsupervised.
Had access to keys.

Our living God have mercy...

IF the cop stops a teen.. because they LOOK like they are too young to be driving with others in the car.. isn't that PROFILING!??

I do believe it's another UNENFORCABLE law. that makes the politicians feel good about themselves, because they can say.."LOOK what I did to save your kids" when in fact they've (Apparently) done nothing.

A cop MAY give an underage driver a ticket for the above IF they stop them for another reason, but I honestly don't think they are going to pull someone over on 235 because the cop THINKS the driver looks too young to be driving with someone else in their car.

They pull them over for some other reason or just call the tags in.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Here is another one. They were flown to the hospital and I pray they will be okay. Something has to be done to stop these wrecks.

Two Teens Hurt in Another Serious Crash - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News
take away the keys
It cannot be repeated enough times that distracted drivers have wrecks. One moment spent on a distraction in the car takes their attention away from what's gong outside the car. Friends, phones and music all seem to be priorities. Every teen driving thnks they are in control and it won't happen to them. The problem is they aren't in control and they don't recognize the severity of the consequences.