HELP! Dog poisoning in Mechanicsville area

devenny99

It appears one of my dog has been poisoned with either antifreeze or propylene glycol. Has anyone else had this happen to their animal and how did you handle it? My husband and I have beaten ourselves up about where she could have gotten into either one and we can't come with anything. Right now she is still alive but it is costing us a small fortune and we don't even know that she will still live after all is said and done. But we would do it again - we love our animals very much! I'm very mad to think that someone could be so brazen to come on my properly and do this to my animals. I have a fenced yard and I live in a very nice neighborhood. I have 3 dogs and this was done to the mildest mannered of all 3 of them. We've never done anything to anyone - my husband and I are both very friendly people and go out of our way to befriend our neighbors. HOW SAD TO THINK THAT YOU ARE NOT EVEN SAFE IN YOUR OWN HOME!

A

amotley

hope the pup is doing ok and you find out where it got the poison from!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
It appears one of my dog has been poisoned with either antifreeze or propylene glycol. Has anyone else had this happen to their animal and how did you handle it? My husband and I have beaten ourselves up about where she could have gotten into either one and we can't come with anything. Right now she is still alive but it is costing us a small fortune and we don't even know that she will still live after all is said and done. But we would do it again - we love our animals very much! I'm very mad to think that someone could be so brazen to come on my properly and do this to my animals. I have a fenced yard and I live in a very nice neighborhood. I have 3 dogs and this was done to the mildest mannered of all 3 of them. We've never done anything to anyone - my husband and I are both very friendly people and go out of our way to befriend our neighbors. HOW SAD TO THINK THAT YOU ARE NOT EVEN SAFE IN YOUR OWN HOME!
Do you let your dogs run around the neighborhood? Could they have possibly gotten out of your fenced yard? Do you know for certain someone went into your yard to poison your animal?

surfer1

Maybe I am asking the obvious but have you checked your vehicles for an antifreeze leak? Also we thought the same with our cat last fall and it turned out to be the tainted food from China. Do you happen to have older food in your stock? Good luck It is very sad when a pet is sick! He is lucky to have such loving owners.

lips_sealed

i love a man's forearms
This happened to my rottie. I didnt realize until he started getting pretty sick. The vet confirmed the poisoning. He was losing weight, and not eating. It was awful. His kidneys began to shut down, and we had no choice but to put him to sleep. To this day, we do not know who did it. I did have my suspisions, and I confronted that neighbor. Of course he acted like he knew nothing about it.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

does anybody who claims that "somebody poisoned my pet with antifreeze" realize that it is one of the most attractive smelling/tasting things to cats/dogs?

I mean, i hope your dog is ok in the end, but yall need to stop blaming this on people other than yourselves for letting your dog run around and get into this stuff somewhere....

SURE, maybe your dog stays on your property and it is a bold statement of me to say that you let him out...but chances are that he got out at some point and just got into the stuff because it attracts them. maybe you should watch your pets a little closer if you truely care about them that much?

but again, i hope everything works out. its sad that it happened no matter what the cause.

devenny99

TO PCJONNYB AND CHASEY_LANE -- my dogs never get out of my yard because they are supervised when they go out to do their business.
TO DOLEMITE, PIXIE GIRL, AND SURFER1 -- we have beaten ourselves up for the last 24 hours to try to figure out how this happened and we can't figure it out. My husband does all his "antifreeze" work in the garage and the dog never goes in their.
Of course, we know that antifreeze is very sweet tasting and harmful to pets - we are not stupid!
Thanks for all your input and your prayers.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

TO PCJONNYB AND CHASEY_LANE -- my dogs never get out of my yard because they are supervised when they go out to do their business.
TO DOLEMITE, PIXIE GIRL, AND SURFER1 -- we have beaten ourselves up for the last 24 hours to try to figure out how this happened and we can't figure it out. My husband does all his "antifreeze" work in the garage and the dog never goes in their.
Of course, we know that antifreeze is very sweet tasting and harmful to pets - we are not stupid!
Thanks for all your input and your prayers.

the only reason i said something was cuz i know there was someone else that posted a very similar thing on here and they DIDN'T realize that pets are attracted to antifreeze. People are dumber than you'd like to think. I hope you at least get your dog better, that would mean more imo than finding out who did it (or how it happened).

good luck :huggy:

Have you been using a swiffer wetjet mop? I understand the chemicals in it's solution contain antifreeze and I am sure a lot of people dont realize it. Just a thought.
Good luck with you pet...hope he recovers.

belvak

Happy Camper
Have you been using a swiffer wetjet mop? I understand the chemicals in it's solution contain antifreeze and I am sure a lot of people dont realize it. Just a thought.
Good luck with you pet...hope he recovers.

According to Snopes, not true. Hope the dog recovers!

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

You know Inky, that was a "targeted" incident.

i could swear i read yet another one too that claimed to have had the neighbor poison the dog but yet there was NO evidence of it besides the neighbor simply didn't like the dog barking or some nonsense.

thats what set me off on this one, and i don't want anyone to think I don't care about the dogs...fact is, i care about the dogs' wellbeing than their stupid owners (in the cases where it is just the owner's stupidity that the dog was poisoned and then they still try to blame it on some other person).

bcp

In My Opinion
Not to sound ignorant or anything, but if it were my dog I suspect I would be heading to the vet instead of wasting his time while typing about it.

but, thats just me, maybe Im a bit strange or something.

I hope the dog turns out ok.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Not to sound ignorant or anything, but if it were my dog I suspect I would be heading to the vet instead of wasting his time while typing about it.

but, thats just me, maybe Im a bit strange or something.

I hope the dog turns out ok.

that was my first thought, but then after reading the post i decided that the person had done all that and was just basically told to wait it out or somethin like that. so they were asking for any advice from forumites or whatever.

bcp

In My Opinion
I re-read it and it does seem like she is posting after the fact.
So, I guess I do sound ignorant.
sorry.

there is another thread honoring me right now.

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!
Being the proud owner of 2 dogs and a cat, I am sadden that the dog is ill. Sounds like it is a "wait and see". It appears they got the dog to the vet in plenty of time to give the animal a chance. How did you come to find out it was anti-freeze? Do your dogs bark a lot? Have you had any compliants about your dogs from other neighbors?

Don't mean to be so friggin nosy, but I find it odd someone would intentionally poison your dog for no apparent reason. I mean even in my most disgusting days of being a teenage boy, I would never posion an animla for kicks. Either the dog accidently got into something (possibly mis-diagnosed by the vet?) or your dogs irrated someone real bad.

Bottom line, I hope your pet has a speedy recovering.

devenny99

Thank you everyone for your replies. My dog was tested at the vets and at the Waldorf Emergency Clinic and both times the test came back positive for antifreeze and the enzymes were very high which is not a good sign. There is another problem though - we just found out that our dog has many enlarged organs and has a tumor on her heart. When they went to drain the fluid from heart, they found blood in the fluid. She may die tonite or tomorrow or next week - we don't know. We are not going to let her suffer so if this happens again, the best thing we can do for her is to put her down. At that point she will be in a lot of pain and we are not going to let her suffer. We will be bringing her home to see how she does but most likely will put her down over the weekend because it's just a matter of time before her heart fills up with fluid again. Please don't think we are heartless because we love our animals and give them the best of situations to live in and take very good care of them and love them like they are our children. We are going away in a week for 2 weeks and will have a 14 year old doggy sitting for us and we can't have her coming over and finding her dead or suffering. We feel that would be more heartless than putting our dog to sleep now. She was 8 years old and was a rescue dog and she led a very good life here with us.