list of base contractors

Restless Blood

Someone posted something awhile ago stating that there is a building near the base that you can get a list of contractors who are hiring. Or just has their address to send resumes to. Does anyone here know of this and could you tell me what building this is and its location?

thanks...

OliveOyl

Also, there is a St. Mary's County Technology Handbook that is published every year and includes names and POCs for all of the local contractors. I think you can get a copy from the Chamber of Commerce.

Restless Blood

Thanks everyone, I will look into that handbook. I can't take the drive to Arlington VA anymore.

Traffic, Traffic, Traffic!!!!! grrrrrrrr.............

MikeyBash

I've seen that list of contractors, and it lists a few I wouldn't recommed working for. I've worked for several companies over the past 10 years or so that I've been a contractor, and some have been good and others not so good. I don't want to name any here, but if you email me I'll tell you what I think.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Originally posted by cariblue
Restless, I can't stress enough the importance of networking.

In other words go to Damon's at Happy Hour???
Or Northridge . . . . . . . .
Cariblue is right though - knowing someone is the best way to get in around here . . .

You can also check the listing of government contractors on this site and go to their web pages for specific job listings.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Hi Lilly!

You're not around nearly enough anymore.

I know. I have been working. REALLY working! Not like before . . . . . .
Amazing how when you are asked to take over multiple positions at work you don't get paid multiple salaries . . . . . . why is that???:shrug:

I decided to take a much deserved break and check out the forums but there doesn't seem to be much going on tonight! Everyone must be out imbibing the spirits . . .

OliveOyl

Originally posted by Restless Blood
Thanks everyone, I will look into that handbook. I can't take the drive to Arlington VA anymore.

Traffic, Traffic, Traffic!!!!! grrrrrrrr.............

Restless, where do you work? I used to live in SoMD and commute to Arlington for 6 months.

I gave up and relocated. :wink:

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Not me. I'm home, getting a few chores out of the way that I usually do on Saturdays. I leave for Richmond in the morning to pick up my fantasy car. I'm so excited I could mop the kitchen floor again! I can't be still. I've been doing laundry, vacuuming, reorganizing, etc. Just can't sit still. I feel so stupid.

I got rid of the hubby and the kiddos for the evening and I am just enjoying the silence!! Probably SHOULD be doing the chores . . . . but then they would just expect too much of me!! :biggrin:

So what is the fantasy car? Jaguar, Hummer, Classic '69 Mustang??

Lilly

The Original Lilly
I am so far out of the loop that I don't even know where I am!!

Good luck bringing her home . . . sounds nice!

Restless Blood

Originally posted by OliveOyl
Restless, where do you work? I used to live in SoMD and commute to Arlington for 6 months.

I gave up and relocated. :wink:

I work at Qwest Communications, Arlington, Va. Commute from LaPlata, MD. I even went to 2nd shift to try to aviod the traffic, now with all the road "improvements" It still takes me 45 mins to cross the W.W. Bridge at 11:00pm! I can't win!

I looked at buying in VA about two years ago, but the only thing I could find that was affordable was down in Fredericksburg or Stafford, which means commuting up and down 95. That is even worse than the bridge commute!

OliveOyl

Yeah, it's gotten really expensive in NoVA. I live in Prince William County (closest thing in that I could find that wasn't $500K!!!!), and skip 95 by taking the VRE to work.

I just like the city life and having everything I need close by. I really enjoy working in Arlington. Too bad your commute is so rough!

John Z

if you will
In the old elementary school outside of gate 2, first door on the left in the air lock.

I know this is :offtopic: , but I didn't know the Frank Knox bldg used to be an elementary school. Makes sense, the way it is laid out. Duh, I can't believe I didn't realize that. Thanks Cari! :smile:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Restless Blood
I work at Qwest Communications, Arlington, Va. Commute from LaPlata, MD. I even went to 2nd shift to try to aviod the traffic, now with all the road "improvements" It still takes me 45 mins to cross the W.W. Bridge at 11:00pm! I can't win!

Wow - really? I had a tentative job offer there a few months ago (Fairfax office) and was on here asking about the commute. After reading the posts and doing some research myself, I opted not to pursue. He even called back when I returned from my honeymoon, and I told him I wasn't ready to reconsider. Too dang far and too much traffic!

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by OliveOyl
Also, there is a St. Mary's County Technology Handbook that is published every year and includes names and POCs for all of the local contractors. I think you can get a copy from the Chamber of Commerce.

Sorry late posting this you can call 301-475-4200 ext. 1400 and they will send you out a copy of the book.