Ignorant Anti-Smokers

bohman

I have lived all over the country, and I have never encountered more prissy, whiny, holier-than-thou anti-smokers than I have on this friendly board. . . :blahblah:

Am I the only person who REALLY feels the urge to light up a smoke when people tell us, yet again, that smoking is bad? I quit almost 10 years ago yet I still give serious consideration to starting again just because it pisses off people that don't have real problems to worry about.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I have...

I have lived all over the country, and I have never encountered more prissy, whiny, holier-than-thou anti-smokers than I have on this friendly board. . . :blahblah:

Am I the only person who REALLY feels the urge to light up a smoke when people tell us, yet again, that smoking is bad? I quit almost 10 years ago yet I still give serious consideration to starting again just because it pisses off people that don't have real problems to worry about.

...zero urge to ever light up again. No more cough. No more nic fit. No more $45 for a carton.

Now, when I see a 'no cigars' sign, I get indignant. :lmao:

It all depends on who gourd is getting ox-ed.

Mikeinsmd

Yanno if all they sold were those sweet smelling herb ciggys and Cap'n Black whisky pipe tabaccy, I would have no problem.

Ciggys just plain stink!!! :barf:

You know, I could really care less if you smoke, my fil chain smokes constantly.

However, when I have to hold my breath to go into a door of a business just so that I can breath after passing that person, it is just silly. Especially since getting pregnant, I have had to use my inhaler after going through a cloud of smoke just to get into a store.

We are never going to agree with each other. I just do what I can to not get a rental car that hasn't been smoked in (which you would be surprised how hard this is), a room that has been smoked in, etc.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When did people get so sickly and develop such sensitive little nosies? When I was a kid, people smoked in the grocery store, in the movie theater, on airplanes - all over the place - and it didn't seem to bother anyone. Now a smoker can't even light up in their own house without some control-freak busybody bawling and whining about having to smell something they don't like.

I don't mind the smell of smoke - what I mind is having to listen to people ##### and cry about it all the time. If you don't like smoking and can't stand the thought of your fellow humans doing something that annoys you, STAY IN YOUR HOUSE.

Why the hell should I curtail my behavior? You're the one with the problem, not me.

jenbengen

Watch it

I couldn't care less if you kill yourself with cigarettes. Smoke away.

The only smokers that piss me off are those who drive down the road with their window barely cracked, child in backseat, puffing a cig. It's just plain selfish.

Otherwise- smoke. If it makes you happy, then I've got no problem with it.

Mikeinsmd

When did people get so sickly and develop such sensitive little nosies? When I was a kid, people smoked in the grocery store, in the movie theater, on airplanes - all over the place - and it didn't seem to bother anyone. Now a smoker can't even light up in their own house without some control-freak busybody bawling and whining about having to smell something they don't like.

I don't mind the smell of smoke - what I mind is having to listen to people ##### and cry about it all the time. If you don't like smoking and can't stand the thought of your fellow humans doing something that annoys you, STAY IN YOUR HOUSE.

Why the hell should I curtail my behavior? You're the one with the problem, not me.
Why should we curtail our behavior?

Another point of view might be your freedom ends when it affects others. Like freedom of speech, you can't yell fire in a crowded theater.

Your smoke stinks. It stinks up my clothes. I must have fresh smellin clothes. :razz:

Having said that, I support the bans in restaurants, bars and buildings. I do not believe you should be told what to do in your car or home or outside.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
A theory...

When did people get so sickly and develop such sensitive little nosies?

...just popped in my head.

Consider; In the 1950's and 60's no one was going to tell men who fought in WWII and women who had taken to the work force and doing 'manly' jobs that they couldn't smoke wherever and whenever they liked; they'd earned it and being bothered by smoke seemed like a rather small thing as we began to worry about the cold war and dig bunkers in our yards.

So, the 70's, obviously, was the beginning of the 'me' generation; what 'I' thought about government, what 'I' thought about the environment, what 'I' thought about MY inconvenience and discomfort. We stopped asking what we could do for our country and started asking what our country could do for us which is why the line was used in a speech; it used to be taken for granted.

So, the 80's, the children of the 70's had kids and started worrying about every little thing as the big things seemed smaller; the USSR, nuclear war, etc. So, here we are; we are very aware of what bothers us on a micro level and act like morons on a macro level.

jenbengen

Watch it
Right. So quit #####ing about smoking and get a bubble already.

Although I personally hate the smell of smoke and avoid it at all costs :lmao:, I don't understand why people b**ch so much at restaurants. Why can't you just go somewhere else where they either have clear smoking areas or one that doesn't allow smoke instead of complaining about the smokers. We're all adults- we are allowed to leave if we don't like it. There are plenty of establishments that have "no smoking" to eat at. I have yet to see a smoker stomp their foot and complain that there is "no smoking" at a restaurant.

Mikeinsmd

Nobody's asking you to. If you are so sickly and sensitive that you can't function in public, that's your problem. Why should anyone else have to accommodate you?
Because I'm me!! :diva: I'm not sickly and I can function in public. I want to do it without smellin your stinky smoke. I don't want it in my clothes or hair.

Right. So quit #####ing about smoking and get a bubble already.
Now you're asking me to curtail my behavior. Bubbles make my butt look fat. :nono:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The only smokers that piss me off are those who drive down the road with their window barely cracked, child in backseat, puffing a cig. It's just plain selfish.

Why don't you get children of your own and stop worrying about how other people raise their kids? Control freak.

jenbengen

Watch it
Why don't you get children of your own and stop worrying about how other people raise their kids? Control freak.

I've got two. :diva: Far from control freak- it's a fact- it's selfish. Here I am agreeing with your right to smoke your brains out in public despite my distaste of it and I'm now a control freak. Hmmm..

Mikeinsmd

Then why don't you stay away from places where there might be smoking?
Spose there's a place I like and wanna eat at? Why can't you wait until you get outside to light up? One of the 2 of us has to be inconvenienced. Fortunately, smokers are catching the brunt of it now. :yahoo: