New Well - Question regarding old perks

Sheila

Hi, I need a well, and I need to know about old perk tests. I was told that even old tests were ok, and then a few told me that you had to have them redone. Anyone ACTUALLY know the real story on this issue?

A builder told me I could use an old perk, and a few others too, but have also heard that it had to be new.

Where can I get the REAL answer to this question?
Thank you for any suggestions or information.

PS I have not found anything online yet.

FairyChatMom

Just me
I thought perk tests were done for septic systems - they're required for wells? I'd ask a well-drilling company - certainly they would know.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Perks are for septics.
But a well has to be so many feet away from the septic.
YW.

stix

The Septic easement and well is two different issues. But for general information.. if your septic is currently being used (your fine). If your perc was done after 1986 (your fine).

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
:yeahthat: I'd wonder about the contractor that told you anything about percs related to wells....unless he said, "dur, you don't need a new perc :rolleyes:" Then I could see it. :shrug: (I'm not saying "dur" but a contractor might)

Sorry, meant to quote DoWhat....why is it that sometimes the Quick Reply defaults to checking the "quote" box, and sometimes it doesn't? :confused:

Last edited:
Hi, I need a well, and I need to know about old perk tests. I was told that even old tests were ok, and then a few told me that you had to have them redone. Anyone ACTUALLY know the real story on this issue?

A builder told me I could use an old perk, and a few others too, but have also heard that it had to be new.

Where can I get the REAL answer to this question?
Thank you for any suggestions or information.

PS I have not found anything online yet.

Does not compute. Perk test determines if a septic system can be used there.

Sheila

OK,
I've been up all night, and I was thinking of both when I typed Well and meant SEPTIC!!!

I could use info on both issues too!

My perk is from 1978 so it's pretty old, but the builder said, because it was better than what I needed, he knew I could use the old perk for the septic, but you know how that is in St Mary's sometimes. Lots of "Friends" that will do what they want and forget the rules. I don't so I need a bit more to go on.

I was shocked by how good it was back then, because most of the lots around me would never perk back then, and mine was better than most.

I did get a copy of the perk at the health dept. a while back, so thanks for that information, I can talk to them, but sure would like to do everything myself if I can.

Boy, the permits are outrageous. I remember when you could build anything in St. Mary's and never had to think about any permits, now we are the # 1 in building codes and perits. Poooooo!

Any well info would be good too.
Thanks!

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
OK,
I've been up all night, and I was thinking of both when I typed Well and meant SEPTIC!!!

I could use info on both issues too!

My perk is from 1978 so it's pretty old, but the builder said, because it was better than what I needed, he knew I could use the old perk for the septic, but you know how that is in St Mary's sometimes. Lots of "Friends" that will do what they want and forget the rules. I don't so I need a bit more to go on.

I was shocked by how good it was back then, because most of the lots around me would never perk back then, and mine was better than most.

I did get a copy of the perk at the health dept. a while back, so thanks for that information, I can talk to them, but sure would like to do everything myself if I can.

Boy, the permits are outrageous. I remember when you could build anything in St. Mary's and never had to think about any permits, now we are the # 1 in building codes and perits. Poooooo!

Any well info would be good too.
Thanks!

We had to get another perk test when we replaced our septic fields. Health Department showed up and watched the perk. Contractor secured the permit and arranged for the HD to inspect.

dorothydot

I think that the State is tightening up on septic system permits because of the potential for Bay contamination. I worked in Community Planning for Montgomery Co. for 9+ years, often helping folks with failing wells and septic systems.

These regs, I think, apply state-wide: Wells must be at least 100' away from any septic system. No septic system on the same property as the well may be located higher than the well.

Wells can, I think, be drilled any time. And if your septic fails, I believe the State requires your land to be re-perked before you can install a new system. Makes sense when you think about it - they want to know why your system failed. A backyard or basement full of s** isn't exactly environmentally friendly.

A property can only be tested for perk in April - this is when, theoretically, the land is thawing from the winter and therefore at the greatest saturation point, meaning that a septic system would be the most likely to fail. These perk tests have become much more stricter; there are existing homes in Mont. Co. that today would not pass perk so when their septics fail, they must either connect to a public sewer system or have their house condemned. Some try newer septic techniques such as sand mounds, but without any spectacular results, usually.

The size of the house - meaning how many bedrooms it has - is also determined by the perk test. If your septic is approved for 4 bedrooms, you can add on any other rooms Except another bedroom.

Hope this helps clear up things.
Dot

Last edited:

tommyjones

I think that the State is tightening up on septic system permits because of the potential for Bay contamination. I worked in Community Planning for Montgomery Co. for 9+ years, often helping folks with failing wells and septic systems.

These regs, I think, apply state-wide: Wells must be at least 100' away from any septic system. No septic system on the same property as the well may be located higher than the well.

Wells can, I think, be drilled any time.

The land can only be tested for perk in April - this is when, theoretically, the land is thawing from the winter and therefore at the greatest saturation point, meaning that a septic system would be the most likely to fail. These perk tests have become much more stricter; there are existing homes in Mont. Co. that today would not pass perk so when their septics fail, they must either connect to a public sewer system or have their house condemned. Some try newer septic techniques such as sand mounds, but without any spectacular results, usually.

The size of the house - meaning how many bedrooms it has - is also determined by the perk test. If your septic is approved for 4 bedrooms, you can add on any other rooms Except another bedroom.

Hope this helps clear up things.
Dot

yeah, lots of misinformation, that really cleared things up.

To the OP. if you want to know contact the health department in your county. I just had my property perked becasue the system is failing. they did it last month..... maybe they give you a little leeway when you have a failing system, but i did not have to wait till the rainy season.

Also, the bay restoration fund has some money to help you if your lot can not accept the traditional septic system.

Good luck, it all starts with the health department.

tommyjones

What causes an existing septic system to suddenly fail... especially in drought conditions...:confused:

if you dont get your system pumped out regularly the poo can get stuck in the drain field or the drywell/pit clogging it up. eventually they fill up and need to be replaced anyway....

dorothydot

Dear TommyJones,

Just saw your response. It was most certainly not my intent to mislead nor lie; I would greatly appreciate it if you could point out where my information is wrong. Although I had over 9 years with this sort of issue - wells and septics, it was in another county in Maryland. I can appreciate that it may be quite different down here in St. Mary's County.

Thank you for your updates and information.

I honestly only wanted to help. Not mislead.

Sincerely,
Dot

ImnoMensa

What causes most systems to fail under any conditions is the solids build up ,go out in the fields and stop up the fields. Then there are roots from trees that are too close.
You should pump every couple of years.

Yes they do require a perk when the system goes bad. I dont quite understand why because if you have an existing home they will allow a mound to be built and down here in the 7th you WILL get a mound whether you perk or not. I think they want the fee to be honest.

When it comes to permits, planning and zoning, and in general screwing with the public ,and small business ,Al Capone could have taken a lesson from St. Mary's County.

smilin

BOXER NATION
When you replace a failing system they will usually allow you to try a perk any time during the year. However there are two types of Perc test seasons down here. It depends on water level and where they think the sand level is. They are called wet and dry season percs.
We had our 45 yo system replaced and they dug down 17 feet to get to sugar (white)sand, and then had to figure out where to run 150 feet of field. Not a pretty sight.