bald eagle rescue #

jenbengen

Watch it
Friend of mine has a bald eagle in her field that may be injured. Anybody have a phone # to somebody who would check it out and potentially rescue/help it. She doesn't want to spook it.

jenbengen

Watch it
Thanks. Somebody else just recommended her as well. I'll see what I can do. :howdy: I'd hate to see this beautiful bird injured.

Update- somebody is on the way over there. I'm not sure if it is inkpen that my friend talked to or not. Hoping the bird is still there where they can help it. Some dumb crow was pecking at it while it was trying to take off.

SlowTwist

(]~o~[)
Update- somebody is on the way over there. I'm not sure if it is inkpen that my friend talked to or not. Hoping the bird is still there where they can help it. Some dumb crow was pecking at it while it was trying to take off.

Stupid crows. That eagle would tear them up if it wasn't hurt.
Keep us posted!

If it were to pass away (not that I want it to or anything), remember that it is illegal to keep any of the feathers. Native Americans can keep them though (don't know if there are permits required). I will ask about that tomorrow night at my Cub Scout meeting since we have some Native Americans coming in to put on a program in keeping with the monthly theme of Native Americans.

jenbengen

Watch it
If it were to pass away (not that I want it to or anything), remember that it is illegal to keep any of the feathers. Native Americans can keep them though (don't know if there are permits required). I will ask about that tomorrow night at my Cub Scout meeting since we have some Native Americans coming in to put on a program in keeping with the monthly theme of Native Americans.

I wouldn't even consider taking the feathers, and I'd :boxing: anybody that did. :lmao:

danceintherain

I know someone is on the way but wanted to pass on some info that I had from those pelicans that were rescued in Ridge last winter. The news article listed Ron Wexler as the POC at the Orphaned Wildlife Rescue Center in Lusby 410-326-0937.

IrishGal

Stretch's Mom
Friend of mine has a bald eagle in her field that may be injured. Anybody have a phone # to somebody who would check it out and potentially rescue/help it. She doesn't want to spook it.

Check your PM'er... and good on you for taking action! :buddies:

IrishGal

Stretch's Mom
I know someone is on the way but wanted to pass on some info that I had from those pelicans that were rescued in Ridge last winter. The news article listed Ron Wexler as the POC at the Orphaned Wildlife Rescue Center in Lusby 410-326-0937.

Ron is a great resource... keep his number handy for all sorts of rescues. Just be informed though, that in calling that number you'll get a long message along the lines of "If you have turtles that need rescue call... if you have possums or raccoons call... if you have a fox call... "

DO wait out the message and DO follow the directions that Ron gives on the voicemail. They will call you back and Ron has a very extensive network of folks available to help out.

jenbengen

Watch it
Ron is a great resource... keep his number handy for all sorts of rescues. Just be informed though, that in calling that number you'll get a long message along the lines of "If you have turtles that need rescue call... if you have possums or raccoons call... if you have a fox call... "

DO wait out the message and DO follow the directions that Ron gives on the voicemail. They will call you back and Ron has a very extensive network of folks available to help out.

LOL- thanks for the info. I'm about to call and see what happened with the eagle.

I

Inkpen

Thank you for the quick pick up on this bird.
I talked to your friend several times, went to her house, got there around 12:20.
Met her nice neighbor, abd for 30 minutes looked for eagle.
Seems that it WAS able to fly and indeed did fly up and away.
No signs of an eagle down, or the mean crows.
So a nice drive to St. Marys, got to hang out with another rehabber adn get caught up on the latest news, and happy the eagle was fine!

I did tell your friend to call me IF she sees him back. ( determined a male because she said it was small..full white head and tail). Or if she has other wildlife problems.

Ron has been ill, and can not go out into the field to do rescues anymore.
I saw him last Saturday ( week before T-Day) and...he said, as long as he sits he is ok!!
He will care for them if you can get the animal to him. He has one intern who is busy with the animals...so the rest of us pitch in and take as many field calls as we can.

So Ron is not your best call for field rescues.

Anyway, nice day, nice drive, very nice fields and open area for eagles to hunt in, and nice people who helped all the way.

Thank You All!!!:howdy:

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
Just out of Curiosity here. Does the MD Dept. of Natural Resources come out and check these out to?? Or do they call you folks?

I

Inkpen

Just out of Curiosity here. Does the MD Dept. of Natural Resources come out and check these out to?? Or do they call you folks?

We are DNR......We just dont get paid like they do.

I

Inkpen

Dave Heilmeier. MD DNR Wildlife Heritage. 410-535-0282 dheilmeier@dnr.state.md.us. Heidi Stout. Tri-State Bird Rescue. 302-737-7241 hstout@tristatebird.org ...

This guy is great at rescuing eagles, you may want to keep his number for future reference. He was a great help to us when we needed him.

Dave is good, if he is available...and Heidi (VMD is up in Newark, Deleware and is Oil Programs Director. She trained me in Oil Rescue and Response this spring.
Erica Miller is the Eagle Vet...she is awesome!!!! Wish we could clone her 100 times over!!

Many eagles stay in-state, others go up to Tri-State, Others get sent to Minn.
All depends on the trauma and the extent of care needed.

If this one had been injured, it first would have gone to Wildlife Rescue in nothern MD and then to an eagle vet in the am and then kept locally or transfered.

US Fish and Wildlife HAVE to be notified in a certian time frame when an eagle is rescued.

Individuals HAVE to have a US Fish and Wildlife permit to handle an eagle. (or any bird of prey)
Mine is always kept in my glovebox and a copy in my med bag, and on file at home.... I love the ospreys and prefere to work with them.

An eagle is an amazing bird to work with!!! Good thing this one was fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Thank you for the quick pick up on this bird.
I talked to your friend several times, went to her house, got there around 12:20.
Met her nice neighbor, abd for 30 minutes looked for eagle.
Seems that it WAS able to fly and indeed did fly up and away.
No signs of an eagle down, or the mean crows.
So a nice drive to St. Marys, got to hang out with another rehabber adn get caught up on the latest news, and happy the eagle was fine!

I did tell your friend to call me IF she sees him back. ( determined a male because she said it was small..full white head and tail). Or if she has other wildlife problems.

Ron has been ill, and can not go out into the field to do rescues anymore.
I saw him last Saturday ( week before T-Day) and...he said, as long as he sits he is ok!!
He will care for them if you can get the animal to him. He has one intern who is busy with the animals...so the rest of us pitch in and take as many field calls as we can.

So Ron is not your best call for field rescues.

Anyway, nice day, nice drive, very nice fields and open area for eagles to hunt in, and nice people who helped all the way.

Thank You All!!!:howdy:

Thanks for the information. Many of us (I hope) are just not that informed about the folks who make animal rescue a priority in their lives. I appreciate what you do and posting the information as you did can perhaps make things a little easier in the future.

I did try to send you karma but maybe it's turned off or I'm a klutz.

As the Maryland Veterans Memorial Museum is being built on the old Glasva school site, there are two eagle nests within sight. If anyone sees anything disturbed, we would like to know. Visit the website at MySpace.com - Maryland Veterans Museum - 55 - Male - LA PLATA, Maryland - www.myspace.com/maryland_veterans_museum. I host and am webmaster for that site and the official site at Maryland Veterans Memorial Museum. The eagles are important to us and we don't want the habitat disturbed. Thanks and don't hesitate to email if there are complaints or suggestions. Thanks!