Laundry: Clothes or detergent first?

dustin

UAIOE
What is the purpose of putting the liquid laundry detergent in before the clothes? (Assuming this is for top loading washer)

I understand if you are using powdered detergent to put the detergent in first, that way you don't have pieces of unmixed detergent on your clothes...

Isn't that the same as putting the egg in the bowl first, then adding the pancake mix? It all gets mixed up in end right?

Cowgirl

I usually put detergent in first, and let a little water run in the machine. I guess I feel like it mixes better. But I don't freak out if I forget and have to put detergent in last. :lmao:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
What is the purpose of putting the liquid laundry detergent in before the clothes? (Assuming this is for top loading washer)

I understand if you are using powdered detergent to put the detergent in first, that way you don't have pieces of unmixed detergent on your clothes...

Isn't that the same as putting the egg in the bowl first, then adding the pancake mix? It all gets mixed up in end right?

Sometimes the detergent "dyes" the fabric if it directly hits the clothing - depends on the detergent, clothing material, etc.

I always go by the premise, better safe than sorry, and allow my detergent to be mixed up and diluted before adding clothing.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Sometimes the detergent "dyes" the fabric if it directly hits the clothing - depends on the detergent, clothing material, etc.

I always go by the premise, better safe than sorry, and allow my detergent to be mixed up and diluted before adding clothing.

I've never had that happen, but I agree with "better safe than sorry". I use liquid but I've always put the detergent in and let it dilute a little before putting in clothes.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Turn...

...on water, add detergent, add blue jeans, socks, sweatshirts, boots, dishes, cats...

ALWAYS add detergent before the stuff. Detergent last leaves spots on the spoons.

MMDad

Lem Putt

Just do it the way Nickel told you to. Don't try to analyze it. You cannot win. Even if you have scientific proof on your side, the wife is always right.

I never even knew you were supposed to do it that way. I always just threw in the clothes and sloshed in some detergent.

I don't separate colors either.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I put the clothes in first, THEN the detergent. I've always done it this way and never had a mishap.

But I do sort colors from lights.

jenbengen

Watch it

Clothes in first, liquid detergent next. The water pours directly on the detergent and makes it nice and sudsy. I switched to liquid after the powder wasn't dissolving sometimes and would get yuck on my clothes.

mrweb

Iron City
I usually add the wife first...don't really know what happens after that.

Actually our washer has a little recepticle thingy that you put soap in, another for softener and a third for bleach. The washer figures it out after that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now that I look, the instructions say to do the detergent first.

It never occurred to me to read the directions on a laundry detergent bottle. It's like reading the shampoo instructions - who doesn't know how to wash their hair after your Ma showed you how the first or second time?

dustin

UAIOE
i'm probably still going to add the detergent last.... (hardheaded) it helps to know how many clothes are in the washer so i know how much detergent to put in.... otherwise i'm flying blind and just putting in whatever amount detergent i feel like... that's my .02.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
:yeahthat:

Watch next time I do laundry the detergent is going to leave spots on something :lol:

I actually did have it happen once - but I was using rather cheap liquid detergent at the time. Like I said, I think it depends on detergent and material/fabric. :shrug:

I did laundry once after we moved down here. She then banned me from doing it. Nothing came out pink. Don't know anymore why she banned me.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
i'm probably still going to add the detergent last.... (hardheaded) it helps to know how many clothes are in the washer so i know how much detergent to put in.... otherwise i'm flying blind and just putting in whatever amount detergent i feel like... that's my .02.
Do you feel better now? :roflmao: