Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling a house without an agent.

Question Selling a house without an agent.

Hubby and I are putting our townhouse (North Beach) on the market in a few days. We are going to attempt to sell it ourselves. Any advice on if we should retain a real estate lawyer now or can we just take a signed purchase agreement to our local title company? Thanks.

Lawyer

You don't need a lawyer until closing. We purchased a FSBO in Myrtle Beach and used a lawyer in the end - the owner didn't have a lawyer - he used ours as well (all under the one expense). We purchased our house here FSBO and the owner used Capristo for closing; we signed papers and the lawyer was his expense.

Exactly, that's the key. Getting the lawyer involved anytime before the closing is going to cost you a lot; not anywhere near as much as an agent, but still a lot considering the average lawyer goes for $250/hour.

The secret to all of this though is like the person above said; wrap the legal fees into the closing cost and get the buyer to pay them. That's something you can't do with an agent. Works like a charm.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. I was getting a little stressed out by the process, but I'm starting to realize it's not that difficult. I'd much rather have the agents commission in my pocket than his/hers. Thanks again!

Livin' Like Thanksgivin' sleuth's Avatar
    ok... so how does one go about buying a house without an agent????
    "We watched the Y2K scare in a panic. And we watched as time proved Nostrodamus wrong.
    We watched as Mother Nature shook the planet, and cellular replaced the telephone.
    We lost Charlie Brown, Ray Charles, and Johnny Cash. Hell, we even lost Superman." ~Kenny Rogers

giggles04
    Originally posted by parrotc
    Thanks for the info. I was getting a little stressed out by the process, but I'm starting to realize it's not that difficult. I'd much rather have the agents commission in my pocket than his/hers. Thanks again!
    Shoot I agree... when its time for me to start looking... I'm going to try and get something without an agent!!! Save money that way!:)

Originally posted by giggles04
    Shoot I agree... when its time for me to start looking... I'm going to try and get something without an agent!!! Save money that way!:)
    And some more good news!!!!!!!

Fed Likely to Lower Rate to 45-Year Low
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...interest_rates

no no no i meant strickly for selling our current house... we're buying my in-laws house no agent needed for that,

Originally posted by kwillia
    I am finding it is hard to find what you are looking for without the help of an agent...I do admit it may be I just don't know all the right places to be looking.
    Yea, buying is a little different. I think I'd want an agent just so I don't get ripped off by all the hidden costs. But selling, you're in total control; no agent needed.

As far as looking, that's nothing. Between Realtor.com and Longandfoster.com (the latter has more) just about every listing on the east coast is online. You can filter your property right down to the type of heat it has.

One time my uncle Stanley had a yard sale and he got this guy down the street to be his lawyer. He got that guy to make everybody that bought something sign a piece of paper saying they were happy with what they bought and that they would write a letter in 30 days saying that they was still happy with their stuff and tell what they did with it. It sure worked and my uncle got a lot of letters from people and it made him feel good that they enjoyed his stuff. It costed my uncle $50 plus $1 for every letter he got.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.