If not GMP, what about DIRECTTV

blacklabman

As a continuation of the GMP thread, I request comments regarding DIRECTTV. They appear to be springing up about me. Pros and cons are appreciated.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by blacklabman
As a continuation of the GMP thread, I request comments regarding DIRECTTV. They appear to be springing up about me. Pros and cons are appreciated.
I thought they were great (before the wife decided to switch to Dishnetwork because of some deal). They also have a two-way highspeed internet system that is supposed to be sweet.

I have had a dish for 8 years and have probably only lost about a 1/2 hour of viewing time during that period and always excellent quality.

SxyPrincess

There have been a few DirecTV threads. I LOVE it! Of course, it can get a little frizzy when the weather is bad, but in all, it's decent. It can be a pain when someone zaps your card because some of the "entertainment" channels are non-viewable. :wink:

SxyPrincess

Oh, and their customer service is excellent. I've called a few times because I wasn't able to get local channels. They were prompt in handling the situation, and were always very courteous.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
blacklabman

I've had DirecTV for about 4 years now. I love it! Lots of channels, lots of optional channels, PPV if you want it, music channels, local channels, great customer service, on-line bill paying.

I moved last year and like promised, they came to my new house and did the installation for free, including a new dish. :yay:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Re: blacklabman

Originally posted by jazz lady
I've had DirecTV for about 4 years now. I love it! Lots of channels, lots of optional channels, PPV if you want it, music channels, local channels, great customer service, on-line bill paying.
:yeahthat: It's great! (Even though I have cable too.)

Surf City Baby

Originally posted by blacklabman

Pro:
Great reception
Good choice of packages
Sports options (like Extra Innings--35 or more out-of-market games per week)
Local channels are extra, but not much -- like $4.00/mo.
Seems you can always get a good installation deal, like free installation, or free extra room hookups, etc.

Con:
Reception is knocked out during severe thunderstorms (no big deal)

All in all I find DirecTV far better than cable.

blacklabman

Thanks to all of you are your inputs. I received a ValuPak with a coupon for free installation. I will check out their website and possibly move forward.:howdy:

alex

We had cable for 17 years. We even upgraded to digital when it became available. The reception did not improve. We often had weak signals for things like channel 4 out of DC. Drove me nuts. People told me it was our TV - it was too old.

In January we bought a new TV, nice SONY Flat screen. Hooked cable up - still had the bad reception - even worse more fuzzy channels.

We switched to DirecTV - great service, even better reception cheaper price. In fact we made money on the deal - 2 rooms receivers, installation & the Dish - $120. Then $100 mail-in rebate and a $50.00 Circuit City gift card! The best part, when they installed it (less than a week after purchase and in under a hour) they were able to use the existing cable connection from outside into the house.

As far as I am concerned....

DIRECTV RULES!!!!