Pearl Harbor

Ol-man

mack421
Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto,saying after his attack on Pearl Harbor, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Pearl Harbor, December 7 1941, a date that will live in infamy!

SpriteZero

:patriot: to all who served and all who perished..
I have been to the Arizona Memorial..very errie watching the bubbles of oil float to the surface and knowing the remains of all 1,177 were still there...
A day to pause and remember......

Very somber experience visiting the USS Arizona...

I was out there when they docked the Missouri - they placed it in the same spot where it got hit during Pearl...

They were doing RimPAC (exercise) and a Japanese detroyer was docked at Pearl - first time since the invasion. But they placed the Japanese destroyer so wherever you walked on it, it was in plane view of the Missouri (where the surrender was signed) - it was docked there on purpose :yahoo:

Dork

Highlander's MPD
Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto,saying after his attack on Pearl Harbor, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Pearl Harbor, December 7 1941, a date that will live in infamy!

I was disappointed today. I asked several people at work if they knew what today was. Only one knew the significance of 12/7. You just don't hear much about it anymore. Why can't this be something pre-printed on calendars? On my wall calender it lists all of the muslim holidays and events in Mexico and New Zealand but doesn't mention Pearl Harbour. I'm not even that old but I think it's more important that we remember Pearl Harbour and not worry about "day of the dead" in Mexico.

Micki

I was disappointed today. I asked several people at work if they knew what today was. Only one knew the significance of 12/7. You just don't hear much about it anymore. Why can't this be something pre-printed on calendars? On my wall calender it lists all of the muslim holidays and events in Mexico and New Zealand but doesn't mention Pearl Harbour. I'm not even that old but I think it's more important that we remember Pearl Harbour and not worry about "day of the dead" in Mexico.

Depends what calendar you got. "Day of the dead" is also a big religious holiday in Europe.

Hessian

Missouri was NOT at Pearl 12/7/41...it is a later class of BB along with Iowa, NJ, & Wisconsin.

Hessian..."At Dawn We Slept"

Angel

~*~*~
I posted this picture in an earlier thread regarding today. The hubby took the picture. The tour we took of Pearl Harbor gave me chills and it made me sad, but it was a great reminder of why I am thankful for the men and women who serve these United States of America. :patriot:

Attachments

• USS%20Arizona.jpg
    USS%20Arizona.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 75

woogie

Lest we forget what our fathers and grandfathers fought for.
I had a father and 2 uncles in WW2. All came home. The two
uncles were in the pacific. Dad was a "Mustang Driver" over
in England.

I'm grateful. We should ALL be grateful and NEVER forget!

Attachments

• Pearl Harbor 13.1.jpg
    Pearl Harbor 13.1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Pearl Harbor 3.1.jpg
    Pearl Harbor 3.1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 74

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
:patriot: to all who served and all who perished..
I have been to the Arizona Memorial..very errie watching the bubbles of oil float to the surface and knowing the remains of all 1,177 were still there...
A day to pause and remember......

Agree. Been to both the Arizona and Missouri. My shadowbox has a flag flown over the Arizona. Very sobering. Disconcerting that the Arizona is a major tourist attraction for the Japanese tourists, but not many go to the Missouri.

Missouri was NOT at Pearl 12/7/41...it is a later class of BB along with Iowa, NJ, & Wisconsin.

Hessian..."At Dawn We Slept"

Your right, I stand corrected! - it is sitting where it was first delivered to Pearl for the Third Fleet commanded by Admiral "The Bull" Halsey on Christmas Eve of '44... it was not at the Attack on Pearl in '41.

I was out there in the late 90's when the Missouri was delivered, it was friggin kewl to see it come out there and dock in her final resting spot!

Last edited:

Harvick29

I actually am one of those who disagrees with the MISSOURI moored there. I can certainly understand why of course, but those waters were sacred to those vessels that were there on Dec 7th 1941, not for years later. I see it as trying to make the area more for a tourist attraction and obtain dollars.
One amazing note from the memorial site is the fact oil is still leaking from the ARIZONA even after all these years.
Interesting debate, but at least it keeps from that day being forgotten.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
My understanding was that San Francisco did NOT want the Missouri moored in their waters. Pearl Harbor was one of the few places that would take her. It was tremendously expensive to bring her to Hawaii. It's really neat to tour though.

Harvick29

CWO .. you could be right .. but I think she went from Long Beach to Bremerton until a group out of Pearl raised funds. I recall S.F. wanting the site near Alameda, but the money just wasnt there to create a park and maintain it. I walked her decks once in Diego Garcia while she was still on active service, i'm thankful I took the time to buy a tshirt and a ball cap from the ships store while I was onboard. I recall that ship being out there during Gulf War 1 .. along with IOWA I think .. but im not sure, it's been so long.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
CWO .. you could be right .. but I think she went from Long Beach to Bremerton until a group out of Pearl raised funds. I recall S.F. wanting the site near Alameda, but the money just wasnt there to create a park and maintain it. I walked her decks once in Diego Garcia while she was still on active service, i'm thankful I took the time to buy a tshirt and a ball cap from the ships store while I was onboard. I recall that ship being out there during Gulf War 1 .. along with IOWA I think .. but im not sure, it's been so long.

I was stationed in Hawaii (entirely toooooo loooong) and remember the fundraising efforts. Our Chief's mess donated money. It was a long haul to raise the funds. It was a shame to take her out of service.

I always thought it went there (Pearl) as the Missouri was the end-all of WWII :shrug: It just seemed logical IMO... never thought about SF or San Diego for that matter...

The oil leaking from the Arizona brings goosebumps to your skin and chills down your spine... it is very, very somber... I do not remember one person saying a single word while out on the memorial - not one word... it was hard not to shed a tear... I even remember Japanse tourist looking over and most had tears in their eyes watching the drops of oil come to the surface.