SOMD & Google Earth

WPoFD

So I was looking at SOMD in Google Earth and noted that there's a dearth of information about the area. I don't know how many of you use this program (or even care, for that matter) but I thought it'd be fun to personalize our piece of the world.

For those of you who don't know, any Google Earth user can add videos, pictures, points of interest, restaurant reviews, etc. to the map for the whole world (or just our lil' group here) to see.

What do you think; anyone interested?

Mikeinsmd

It's been awhile since I used it but it never worked right on my last computer and the images were blurry.

Yahoo maps has a hybrid system of satellite photo's (that are clear) and road maps I'd recommend.

Mikeinsmd

It's been awhile since I used it but it never worked right on my last computer and the images were blurry.

Yahoo maps has a hybrid system of satellite photo's (that are clear) and road maps I'd recommend.

Ok, just DL the new version and I like it. I can see my boat on my street!! :yay:

THe maps are contantly updated... plus these are the overlays used in Google Maps (another :yay:) which is a great tool... I am going to ditch MS Trips and Streets in lieu of Google Maps as you can re-route now...

Yes, Google Earth is Bad Azz... Have not looked in a while, but will download the new tool and peruse. It use to be around DC and other "sensitive areas" the tops of the buildings were whited out/showed no detail...

Toxick

Splat
What's different between Google Earth and just using Google maps?

Google earth is a 3D representation of the entire planet. When you launch the program you're presented with a 3D earth from space which you can turn and rotate and zoom into. Your level of detail automatically increases as you zoom in, and in some places you can get down to .5 meters of resolution.

What really sets it apart though is that you can also change your projection so that you're not looking straight down at an orthographic view of the earth. So you can change your perspective to look at mountain ranges and other terrain features. (Check out the grand canyon and mount st. helen for instance!). You can fly around the mountains or through the canyons.

Some other cool areas of interest are the pyramids of Giza and the Forbidden City in China.

They've also started adding 3D culture data - buildings, bridges, etc - but the last time I look they weren't textured, so it was just white volumetric shapes representing the buildings.

Still... very cool ####.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
If you click through that header image you can view an assortment of demonstration videos. "Flying" around the cities is cool... but I was able to do that in MS Flight Sim nearly 10 years ago. :lol: I would like to play with GE, though, and see what it can do.

WPoFD

So... now that we've agreed that it's cool and we like it, let's start adding local SOMD-specific content. For example, you can add photos of places around here. They'll be represented by an icon you place on the map. When people click the icon, they'll see your pics. The same is true for anythign you add; and everyone in the world can see it. Very cool!

Since we all gravitate to SOMD forums and like our town/area so much, why don't we take it to the next level?

SpriteZero

Google Earth is awesome...can travel and never leave the desk...
And some cities allow even more detail...must be the .5 meters Toxic is talking about.
And best of all..it is FREE!!!:yahoo: