Condition of girl hit by bus?

CalifrniaDreamn

I was at the scene almost immediately afterwards -- my daughter called me from the school bus. She most definitely was hit by the school bus. From what I was told by the kids, the other bus did not have its lights on when it let her off the bus, and she began to cross route 4 and was struck by my daughter's bus.

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus
From what I was told by the kids, the other bus did not have its lights on when it let her off the bus, and she began to cross route 4 and was struck by my daughter's bus.

Man that's awful.. I know her mother was able to go with her in the chopper. I hope she didn't witness it. Though a lot of parents are at the bus stops around here. Hope she pulls through.

CalifrniaDreamn

Her mom & dad didn't witness it. A student ran to their house after she got hit and they were on the scene. It was very awful for them, as she was in a lot of pain. I am praying for them right now.

ImnoMensa

Look both ways before crossing. Please. Lights or no lights, bus or no bus,never walk without being aware. Please.

Qualcom Troll4

STFU When You Speak To Me
Usually I wouldn't comment on something like this because I was there but this case angers me. Apparently the girl got off of a school bus at one of the side streets. The bus driver was on the shoulder and dropping off kids with NO RED LIGHTS ON. The girl went to cross to the other side of RT 4 and was struck by another school bus at approximately 40 to 50 mph. She is listed in critical as of last night.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Usually I wouldn't comment on something like this because I was there but this case angers me. Apparently the girl got off of a school bus at one of the side streets. The bus driver was on the shoulder and dropping off kids with NO RED LIGHTS ON. The girl went to cross to the other side of RT 4 and was struck by another school bus at approximately 40 to 50 mph. She is listed in critical as of last night.

It always confuses me when the buses pull onto the shoulder and let the kids off without their lights flashing. I always slow WAY down and am cautious, but it bothers me that they do that. Why not just put the flashers on every time they drop kids off????

It always confuses me when the buses pull onto the shoulder and let the kids off without their lights flashing. I always slow WAY down and am cautious, but it bothers me that they do that. Why not just put the flashers on every time they drop kids off????

Because of traffic. Buses do their best not to affect traffic flow. I can understand a bus doing this if the kids do not have to cross back over the road, but it doesn't make any sense that this kid was expected to dodge traffic each day to try to get home.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I see this also. I guess since the kids don't have to cross the street the driver just pulls over and let's them off without having to stop all traffic. It's nice thatt they do that but I know what you mean about it being a little confusing.

Some of them are apparently trying to be "courteous" by allowing traffic to proceed and not hold everyone else up. I've seen them do it a few times, and it is confusing. You expect to see lights, check up, lanes grind to a halt, and no lights come on. Just turn the blasted lights on. That's what's expected by all parties.

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
Maybe I am confused but it says the bus hit her while crossing the traffic. So what was the point of the bus going on the shoulder? If she was walking across the road traffic should have been stopped anyway.

Prayers for this poor girl, I hope she pulls through.

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus
Because of traffic. Buses do their best not to affect traffic flow. I can understand a bus doing this if the kids do not have to cross back over the road, but it doesn't make any sense that this kid was expected to dodge traffic each day to try to get home.

Yeah, I have only seen a bus pull over if the kids are going home on THAT side of the road. If they have to cross, the lights and sign need to be on until the student(s) cross.. shame.

BravoFarp

Certified P.I.A.

Supposedly this was not even this girl's bus stop and the driver may have been unfamiliar with her. I don't know if anybody but that girl expected her to be crossing. Regardless of all that, they should be using their red lights all the time no matter where they are or what traffic is like. If traffic is so heavy that the bus drivers feel the need to not use their red lights so as not to impede it, then they need to seriously rethink what they're doing.

Supposedly this was not even this girl's bus stop and the driver may have been unfamiliar with her. I don't know if anybody but that girl expected her to be crossing. Regardless of all that, they should be using their red lights all the time no matter where they are or what traffic is like. If traffic is so heavy that the bus drivers feel the need to not use their red lights so as not to impede it, then they need to seriously rethink what they're doing.

Traffic is very heavy on that road... and it will get much worse once they start putting in an additional 850 houses near St. Andrew's Estate.

From what you say, this may very well have been a normal "pull over cause all the kids are on one side of the street" stop and the bus driver had no idea the girl was going to attempt to cross the road. Wow... one little change to the daily grind and whamo... what a shame for all parties involved.

I betcha this is all now a moot point and we won't be seeing buses pulling over without lights anymore.

BravoFarp

Certified P.I.A.
I betcha this is all now a moot point and we won't be seeing buses pulling over without lights anymore.

I hope so. I never understood the logic in it. I understand the concept. But pedestrians in general are too unpredictable.

belvak

Happy Camper
My thoughts and prayers to the girl and her family as well. This tread hits close to home for me. My sister was hit and killed 25 years ago getting off of a school bus that had its lights flashing. I hope she pulls through. My thoughts and prayers also go out to the driver that hit her. I can only imagine the Hell they are going through.