Xmas Gift Ideas

johnjrval424

I'm at a total loss. I need to buy a couple family members (husband/wife) Xmas gifts but can't think of a single thing to buy them. They are the epitome of the "have everything" couples, including my FIL and his wife.

We don't want to go the route of gift certificates - we've done that the last few years. Anyone have any ideas for gifts for age group 55+?

They aren't really outdoorsy people - don't travel - not into sports - basically, your couch potato crowd. I've looked at gift baskets (Harry & David, multiple fruit basket websites) but they seem very pricey. I'm looking for something in the $30 range. Is this unreasonable?

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with my Xmas gift mental block!

nicole_M

I'm at a total loss. I need to buy a couple family members (husband/wife) Xmas gifts but can't think of a single thing to buy them. They are the epitome of the "have everything" couples, including my FIL and his wife.

We don't want to go the route of gift certificates - we've done that the last few years. Anyone have any ideas for gifts for age group 55+?

They aren't really outdoorsy people - don't travel - not into sports - basically, your couch potato crowd. I've looked at gift baskets (Harry & David, multiple fruit basket websites) but they seem very pricey. I'm looking for something in the $30 range. Is this unreasonable?

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with my Xmas gift mental block!

Maybe make your own little basket?

We did this with my DH's mom...Bought a basket at Michael's for about $4. A bottle of wine she likes. Picture of the grandkids. Some of her favorite coffee beans and some Lindt cholcoates. All of this cost us less than $30. So if you know some of their favorite things, this is a nice gesture --- Good Luck and have fun!!!!

TexasSunflower

Support Our Troops!
Maybe make your own little basket?

We did this with my DH's mom...Bought a basket at Michael's for about $4. A bottle of wine she likes. Picture of the grandkids. Some of her favorite coffee beans and some Lindt cholcoates. All of this cost us less than $30. So if you know some of their favorite things, this is a nice gesture --- Good Luck and have fun!!!!

:yeahthat: We make our own gift baskets every year to give to my in-laws and my parents. We spend less than 30.00 on every basket because we buy in bulk to make mutiple baskets.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
For all of those people in the $30 range that already have everything, I went with this:

Santas Slide Show Ornament | firstSTREET | digital photo Christmas ornament, digital photo Christmas ornament, photo ornament, photo Christmas ornament, Christmas ornament , photo frame ornament, personalized photo ornament, | first STREET

It's a digital picture Christmas ornament. Looks like just a red ball ornament with a little LCD screen. You can load something like 50 images onto it and it scrolls through them.

sccrmommy

I bought 4 of those digital ornaments on Black Friday for my grandparents and parents. It's pretty cool, my only complaint is the screen is pretty small for an older couple (perhaps with bad eye sight)

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
A bucket of popcorn (you can get it for around $5 at Wal-Mart) and a gift card to Blockbuster.

johnjrval424

A basket with a movie theme, a dvd, popcorn, etc.
I like this idea! I think they would, too. FIL is a John Wayne devotee so a basket with popcorn, a John Wayne DVD and some other snacks may be just the thing.

Thanks for the idea! If you have any others, keep 'em comin! I still have 3 other couples to buy for and they are as tough!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I've looked at gift baskets (Harry & David, multiple fruit basket websites) but they seem very pricey. I'm looking for something in the $30 range. Is this unreasonable?

I grabbed a couple of gift baskets from Wal Mart
Sis and BIL spend most of the year cruising in their motor home, folks just sold their house and moved into an apartment, figured they all needed "consumables"

poster

I like this idea! I think they would, too. FIL is a John Wayne devotee so a basket with popcorn, a John Wayne DVD and some other snacks may be just the thing.

Thanks for the idea! If you have any others, keep 'em comin! I still have 3 other couples to buy for and they are as tough!

The movie idea is a cool one!
I think handmade/homemade items are the best and make a special trip to deliver them personally. There's alot to be said for just being "thought of" during the holidays. True Christmas Cheer is starting to be a thing of the past.

belvak

Happy Camper
I did baskets for my Cousins this year. One (for a guy) was a movie/popcorn/candy/soda one. The other Cousin (girl) reads a lot like me, so I got a basket and put a Christmas novel, bookmark, book light, fleece throw, mug and several packages of cocoa mix in it.

johnjrval424

I did baskets for my Cousins this year. One (for a guy) was a movie/popcorn/candy/soda one. The other Cousin (girl) reads a lot like me, so I got a basket and put a Christmas novel, bookmark, book light, fleece throw, mug and several packages of cocoa mix in it.
Hey - that is a great idea, too! I like the "book" idea - sounds like a real comfort on those crappy, snowy, blah days....

Great ideas everyone! Keep going!!!!! :yahoo: