Bartending School?

FunnyGuy

Does anyone have any information on anywhere around the area to attend bartending classes? Been unemployed way to long from the computer field and need to make some cash! Some info would be much appreciated. Thanks

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Unless you plan on making bartending your profession and working in an upscale venue, all you do is go to some bar and apply for a job. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to pour a beer, open a can or make a mixed drink. But you do have to have the personality for it and have a high tolerance for drunken behavior.

I tended bar for years and really enjoyed it.

Taz

I gotta agree with vrai.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be a bartender.
I have done it several times.
The best thing you can have going for you is to be easy going and listen to what people say. They don't care if you have to look up a drink in the book. They are mainly concerned that you are friendly, outgoing and willing to lend an ear.
Really, I had some good times tending bar, and this was in some rather rough joints in the south. Just be good to the customers, don't take any sh!t and let the people have a good time.

FunnyGuy

Thats what I figured but I just thought it would look better to get the license, but I guess why waste the money when you dont have to. Thanks for your replies.

daveo

I took the course at the Professional Bartending School in Arlington. Classes on Saturday helped. The course includes TAM which is required in Maryland.

Learned a lot of drinks. It was fun. Got a good lead on a good job. Had fun...made a lot of contacts. Pretty much earned back the cost in a week. Then made pretty good money.

The class helped me get a job at a more diverse place where I had to pour more than beer and wine.:cheers: