What's fun in North/Chesapeake Beach?

bohman

Next weekend we'll be making yet another trip north to see family (near Baltimore). We've decided that, for a change, we are going to relax and stop to see some sights along the way. We've never gone to Chesapeake beach, and thought that might be a good side trip.

What's there to entertain a mom, a dad, and a 2 year old girl?

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
Next weekend we'll be making yet another trip north to see family (near Baltimore). We've decided that, for a change, we are going to relax and stop to see some sights along the way. We've never gone to Chesapeake beach, and thought that might be a good side trip.

Leaving

Pezfreak

The rod n reel has a nice breakfast buffet you could hit on your way up the road. I think I saw something about santa being there during certain times. If you come through after dark you can enjoy the christmas lights. The town does a great job decorating. Other than that, I cant think of anything other than antique and gift store shopping- which can be a drag with a 2 yr old:lmao: Happy Holidays!

basher

LEET

there's not much there....when i got my job down here I was also curious and drove to chesapeake beach and it was a waste of time for me.

vbailey

vbailey
The Rod and Reel is a great place to eat and it is right on the water. The breakfast buffet is really good. It's a neat little place to see right on the water but really not much to do this time of year.

lovinmaryland

The Rod and Reel is a great place to eat and it is right on the water. The breakfast buffet is really good. It's a neat little place to see right on the water but really not much to do this time of year.

We went their this past weekend and had a great time. We ate at the Rod & Reel breakfast buffet w/ Santa and the kids loved it. Th food was delicious and I was just telling :gossip: from the forum that I was thinking of him when I ate my piping hot waffle that was drizzled w/ warm maple syrup and topped w/ bananas and walnuts :yum: He was very jealous :lol:

emgem

Not a darn thing! That whole town is in dire need of a makeover. And even when the summer time rolls around, I still wouldn't make a "pit stop" there either. Flat out, it's pretty much a dump!

terbear1225

so, sounds like chesapeake beach is kind of a wash. any other recommendations along the solomon's to upper marlboro stretch?

CobraKai

SF. SH. NM.
Not a darn thing! That whole town is in dire need of a makeover. And even when the summer time rolls around, I still wouldn't make a "pit stop" there either. Flat out, it's pretty much a dump!

What constitutes a dump?

Last time I checked there was lots of fun things to do, but keeping in mind that's it Chesapeake BEACH, most of them are only available in the warm months.

Beaches
Boardwalks
BNBs
Bonfires and story telling
Live music
Comedy acts
Bayfest
Charter fishing
Fossil/shark's teeth hunting
Kayaking
Railway museum
Water park

...no I guess you're right, it is a dump, where do you live again?

Gus911

Go to Tan's to see their Christmas train layout. :yay:

Absolutely. Tan's Cycle Shop on Rt 261 in North Beach. Nearly the entire shop gets converted into a massive Lionel layout. The kids (including 50 year old kids) just stand there with their mouths and eyes wide open.

Watkins Regional Park for the Christmas lights.

4 to 301 to Central Ave to Watkins Park Drive.
I read it as "what's there to do on the way up" in which case Christmas lights would be a bust. At night, totally different story. Then I'd be all for it if it weren't in Largo.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
What constitutes a dump?

Last time I checked there was lots of fun things to do, but keeping in mind that's it Chesapeake BEACH, most of them are only available in the warm months.

Beaches
Boardwalks
BNBs
Live music
Comedy acts
Bayfest
Charter fishing
Kayaking
Railway museum
Water park

EmGem is a little out of line calling Chesapeake Beach a dump. All of the things you mentioned make it a very nice place to visit or live (I live here) during the warm months. There isn't much going on this time of year but there's plenty to do when it warms up. It's a great place to visit or live. There may not be much here making it undesirable for some but it is by no means, is a dump. Apparently 20 years ago this area was pretty rough but they have done so much with it. There even building another boardwalk right along Rt 261 and putting in medians and landscaping on RT 260. Oh, and if you get to drive down Rt260 torward Ches. Beach before Christmas, you can enjoy all the decorations and lights. They even put up lights in the water park. Very nice.

Emgem, I can only assume you rode through with your eyes closed and stopped for a burger at the MCDonalds in Ches. Beach. Now that, I will agree is a dump. Otherwise, Ches. Bch is nice.

Last edited:

emgem

What constitutes a dump?

Beaches
Boardwalks
BNBs
Live music
Comedy acts
Bayfest
Charter fishing
Kayaking
Railway museum
Water park

If you would have read the original question, the people are travelling here for the Christmas holiday, so I would imagine about 90% of the activities you named wouldn't be doable during this time of year. That's right, let's go to the water park and maybe after that we'll go kayaking in the bay on Christmas. On top of that, everyone is entitled to their opinion of the Beach! And if you're going to correct someone, make sure you use proper English next time! I think you said it best "Last time I checked there was lots of fun things to do." Was being the key word. Maybe a half century ago there WERE lots of fun things to do in the Beach, like ride the ferris wheel.

emgem

Egmon is a little out of line calling Chesapeake Beach a dump. All of the things you mentioned make it a very nice place to visit or live (I live here) during the warm months. There isn't much going on this time of year but there's plenty to do when it warms up. It's a great place to visit or live. There may not be much here making it undesirable for some but it is by no means, is a dump. Apparently 20 years ago this area was pretty rough but they have done so much with it. There even building another boardwalk right along Rt 261 and putting in medians and landscaping on RT 260. Oh, and if you get to drive down Rt260 torward Ches. Beach before Christmas, you can enjoy all the decorations and lights. They even put up lights in the water park. Very nice.

Egmon, I can only assume you rode through with your eyes closed and stopped for a burger at the MCDonalds in Ches. Beach. Now that, I will agree is a dump. Otherwise, Ches. Bch is nice.

For the record in case you can't read my name is emgem not Egmon!