TDRs in St Mary's?

birdman

Please post up what you find out, I'd be curious to know what's involved as well (but I'm not motivated enough to call and find out at the moment).

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
You're probably looking at $15k per TDR or more based on recent sales... Also, law firms and surveyors would probably have clients who need them. In St. Mary's when you're dealing with land use issues, go right to the master, Bill McKissick at Dugan Mckissick Wood and Longmore. Joe Densford and John Norris (Norris and Dudderar) would also be considered experts on our Zoning Ordinance. Those 3 guys will definitely have clients and projects looking for TDR's.

Depending on the size and location of your parcel, you should also talk to Donna Scasser or Sue Veith at Land Use and Growth Management about Maryland Ag Land Preservation programs which some applicants seem to do pretty well with financially.

P

Patch Tuesday

You're probably looking at $15k per TDR or more based on recent sales... Also, law firms and surveyors would probably have clients who need them. In St. Mary's when you're dealing with land use issues, go right to the master, Bill McKissick at Dugan Mckissick Wood and Longmore. Joe Densford and John Norris (Norris and Dudderar) would also be considered experts on our Zoning Ordinance. Those 3 guys will definitely have clients and projects looking for TDR's.

Depending on the size and location of your parcel, you should also talk to Donna Scasser or Sue Veith at Land Use and Growth Management about Maryland Ag Land Preservation programs which some applicants seem to do pretty well with financially.

I've got a question for you. Is it possible to enroll a property in the Md AG Land Preservation Program, the forestry conservation program (DNR?), and then sell TDR's off it as well?

:confused:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I've got a question for you. Is it possible to enroll a property in the Md AG Land Preservation Program, the forestry conservation program (DNR?), and then sell TDR's off it as well?

No, it's against the rules.

St Mary's code 12.567.34.98.001.354.6749.5342.997 Rev. Y

P

Patch Tuesday

No, it's against the rules.

St Mary's code 12.567.34.98.001.354.6749.5342.997 Rev. Y

Then explain this listing?

- Property Finder - DONNA HOFFMANN

"Comments: 21 Acres of Heavily Forested Land that has been used for Hunting. It is entitled to 3 TDR's and that is with retaining one Building Site. Enrolled in Agricultural Preservation Foundation and DNR Forest Stewardship with Brush Pile Placements for Wildlife Sanctuary/Documents on File/Recent Survey Available"

I subscribe to all the daily land listing and this one left me scratching my head that you could do all these things...

:jameo:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...

Haven't seen the Forestry program. Parcels in the MALPF no longer have any TDR's available. But whether they were sold prior, or removed/sold with the preservation easement would probably depend on the owner.

Previous TDR program required all available TDR's to be lifted at once. New rules allow a land owner to sell a portion of their development rights, while retaining their remaining TDR's for future use. (Thus a farmer could use them to fund his operation in a bad year or buy a new piece of equipment without going to a bank or having to completely liquidating his major land asset.)

Zoning laws are quite complex. That's why anyone trying to do this stuff should be represented and advised by one of the 3 competent attorneys I mentioned above.

I think the listing you quoted above is probably inaccurate.

Last edited:
P

Patch Tuesday

Haven't seen the Forestry program. Property in the MALPF no longer have any TDR's available. But whether they were sold prior, or removed/sold with the preservation easement would probably depend on the owner. Previous TDR program required all available TDR's to be lifted at once. New rules allow a land owner to sell a portion of their development rights, while retaining their remaining TDR's for future use. (Thus a farmer could use them to fund his operation in a bad year or buy a new piece of equipment without going to a bank or having to completely liquidating his major land asset.)

Zoning laws are quite complex. That's why anyone trying to do this stuff should be represented and advised by one of the 3 competent attorneys I mentioned above.

What I'm getting at here is the property is being advertised as essentially having four TDR's on it, three that can be removed and one for a building site. On the other hand, it's being disclosed that it was enrolled in the land preservation program, which according to what you folks are saying would kill the TDR's.

What's the correct answer here?

vbailey

vbailey
We have Property that we could sell some TDR's, but when you do that you can not subdivide and sell the property later. You can make much more money if you sell the property to be devolped. Not knowing what could come up in the future, we are holding on to our property for now. May be a time when we need to sell it for more money...that is something to think about when talking about selling TDR's.

Last edited: