Pellet Stove Owners

OldHillcrestGuy

Have any of you had a problem with Pennington Wood Pellets? Bought some this week at Sams Club (a ton of them) at $3.88 a bag, great price, I normally use the ones American Hardware sells (Hamer) and have never had a problem, bought these Penningtons and stove is cutting off now and have alot a ash build up, first couple of bags ran fine. Completely cleaned everything yesterday inside the stove, pipes, fan blades everything it ran for 12 hours then cut off overnight, this morning stove was full of black ash, have cleaned and just restarted with the Hamer pellets. Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the Penningtons, maybe thats why they were so cheap.:shrug:

Have any of you had a problem with Pennington Wood Pellets? Bought some this week at Sams Club (a ton of them) at $3.88 a bag, great price, I normally use the ones American Hardware sells (Hamer) and have never had a problem, bought these Penningtons and stove is cutting off now and have alot a ash build up, first couple of bags ran fine. Completely cleaned everything yesterday inside the stove, pipes, fan blades everything it ran for 12 hours then cut off overnight, this morning stove was full of black ash, have cleaned and just restarted with the Hamer pellets. Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the Penningtons, maybe thats why they were so cheap.:shrug:

I had a bad problem last year with a batch I bought at WalMart. There was probably 20% sawdust in each bag. Clogged everything. I had to resort to screening the pellets, each and every bag, before I could put it in the stove. I complained, and got my money back, don't remember if Walmart or Pennington refunded.

This year, I have noticed there was a bit more sawdust than I would like, also from Pennington. It's not causing the stove to shutdown, but I do need to clean it more often.

Vince

Won't use Pennington, too much dust in every bag. Hammer or Lignetics. Ace has them. Don't know what the price has gone to yet. Bought a ton about 3 months ago. Will be ready for my second ton in January and that should get me through the rest of the winter.

OldHillcrestGuy

My first 2 or 3 bags of the Pennington's seemed to leave alot less ash then the Hamer's, also have used the Lignetic's thats what the store in Waldorf where I got my stove from sells, thought they had alot more ash then the Hamers had so Ive kind of stuck with them. When I saw the price at Sams ($3.88) I bought 2 bags and tried them, and it appeared to be alot less ash then even the Hamer's thats why I went back and got a ton of them.
I have a Breckwell 2000 model and my son has the same model, we split the ton and he is very pleased with what he has used so far about 4 bags, says stove is cleaner.
Today I cleaned the pellet hopper out of the Penningtons, all the way to the augar and there was alot of sawdust, but thats the first time in quite awhile Ive done that so I dont know if the dust was from the Penningtons or a build up from the Hamers.
While Im typing this Im looking at the stove and its running fine so far about 3 hours now, and the glass isnt clouding up too bad. I did adjust the flue a bit from where it was set yesterday.
Just have to wait and see if it keeps running.:shrug:

Either used HAmer or Lignetics up until this year... never had a problem or never had to clean them out.

My boss ran into some called "Country Boy" - OMG, these blow HAmer and Lignetics out of the water. I bet I get 1/3 of the ash and little to no clinkers.

They are made from sawdust from a hardwood floor manufacture company in Kentucky. I mean, they are unbelievable. A ton cost about $240... damn, remember when they were $120 a ton (pre-paid) LOL!

I bought them in Gambrils, MD (just before Leo's RV's - the name of the place escapes me right now) and they even store them for you... I picked up the first ton in September and I am going to get the next one sometime this week. They will hold them until March...

Either used HAmer or Lignetics up until this year... never had a problem or never had to clean them out.

My boss ran into some called "Country Boy" - OMG, these blow HAmer and Lignetics out of the water. I bet I get 1/3 of the ash and little to no clinkers.

They are made from sawdust from a hardwood floor manufacture company in Kentucky. I mean, they are unbelievable. A ton cost about $240... damn, remember when they were $120 a ton (pre-paid) LOL!

I bought them in Gambrils, MD (just before Leo's RV's - the name of the place escapes me right now) and they even store them for you... I picked up the first ton in September and I am going to get the next one sometime this week. They will hold them until March...

Sounds like a good deal. I searched for them via Google, didn't come up with anything. Was hoping to find a source closer.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I use Hamer's and I'm plenty happy with the performance. Could it be a feed rate problem? It took me 1/2 the season last year to adjust the feed rate correctly. I can run my stove for 8-10 hours and get maybe a 1/2 cup of ash out of the firepot.

I use Hamer's and I'm plenty happy with the performance. Could it be a feed rate problem? It took me 1/2 the season last year to adjust the feed rate correctly. I can run my stove for 8-10 hours and get maybe a 1/2 cup of ash out of the firepot.

I clean mine once a week, running all the time, and I get less than a cup of coal in the pot, maybe a cup and a half of powder ash that I have to vacuum out.

OldHillcrestGuy

Its not a feed problem, it might be a flue problem. After my post yesterday the stove ran for 24 hours straight no problems. This morning turned it off the do a quick cleaning, was burning Hamer's pellets since yesterday. I use a paint brush to brush down the back wall and the logs and brush the ash into the ash bin under the firepot, about once a week I vaccum good. Today after turning it back on after the cleaning it starts firing up and just as it is hot enough to go out of the startup cycle it cuts out. I wait for it to shutdown and then I disconnect, the airflow hose from the backwall to the airflow switch and blow it out and start it backup, and it was stillling running when I left for work this afternoon about 45 minutes of running time.
Im avoiding calling for service, cause last year when I checked once at the store in Wadorf where I purchased it they wanted a arm and leg, think it was $90 for the first 30 minutes and I cant remember what they said after that. They really have sort of a monopoly, since not too many places sell them.

Fox5 had just a short thing on the news the other night about pellet stoves and how they are becoming popular, the guy was in Waldorf at American Hardware, I got my stove at the other place in Waldorf, they said that pellet stoves are out selling wood stoves 3 to 1.

When my stove is running it heats:hot: the whole house my oil furnace never comes on, I have a splitfoyer home 46x26. It does a great job.

Vince

I clean mine once a week, running all the time, and I get less than a cup of coal in the pot, maybe a cup and a half of powder ash that I have to vacuum out.
Clean mine about once every 3 - 4 days. Get about a 1/2 cup of coal in the pot and maybe a cup of powder. This is running Hammer or Lignetics.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I got my stove from American Hardware. Luckily for them the product sells itself and they ARE knowledgeable about the product but they have have the organizational skills of a yard full of headless chickens. I didn't like the attitude I got from the folks @ Tri-County and I think the Quadra-Fire stoves are more versatile and user friendly than the stoves @ T-C.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
I'm having a weird problem. I start my stove, it runs for a few minutes, shuts off completely for 10 seconds and then restarts itself. It runs fine after that. I've had my Kozi Stove (made in Canada) for 4 years. I sent an e-mail to the manufacture and we have been exchanging e-mails, etc. They offered to call me and help me diagnose the problem over the phone. Wow - how many vendors offer to do that? I'll let ya know what we find out.

Called up the manufacture and they worked with me for about 45 minutes. It ended up being a lose connection. Life it good!:yahoo:

Last edited:

OldHillcrestGuy

Stove has been running 50 hours straight (nonstop) no shutting down.:yahoo:

Hope all is well, will have to stop it in the morning (Im on evening shift) to clean it and that seems where I have the problem with it starting backup
after a cleaning.:shrug:

Stove has been running 50 hours straight (nonstop) no shutting down.:yahoo:

Hope all is well, will have to stop it in the morning (Im on evening shift) to clean it and that seems where I have the problem with it starting backup
after a cleaning.:shrug:

Maybe you just had a chunk of dirt in front of the heater coil or something... that happens to me once in a while after cleaning.

Mine has been running non stop for 2 weeks. I let it run out of pellets today so it will be cold when I get home. Time clean it.

No reply as of yet. If I hear anything, I'll post it up here.

They never did answer... :frown:

Anyway, just came from McKays. The have a brand called Lignetics, pallet price of $249. Anyone ever try them? Know anything about them? (the pellets, not McKays... :lmao:)

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
They never did answer... :frown:

Anyway, just came from McKays. The have a brand called Lignetics, pallet price of $249. Anyone ever try them? Know anything about them? (the pellets, not McKays... :lmao:)

I know of someone who uses those. Very little dust and great quality. :yay::yay: