What do you think?

ImnoMensa

I just watched a commercial on TV. It was an ad that showed a guy in the center seat of a plane using a computer and the people on either side of him were watching what was on the screen. It was an ad for a filter from 3M that allows only the person directly in front of the computer to see what is on the screen.

The question is do people who use computers in public places --lets say cell phones in public places too--do these people have a right to expect privacy?

Does a cell phone person have a right to be upset if they discover you are listening to their conversation? Does a computer user have a right to expect you to look elsewhere when you are sitting next to them using that computer?
Who is the person being rude. The person who listens or the person who is talking into a phone when you dont want to hear them in the first place.?

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
I just watched a commercial on TV. It was an ad that showed a guy in the center seat of a plane using a computer and the people on either side of him were watching what was on the screen. It was an ad for a filter from 3M that allows only the person directly in front of the computer to see what is on the screen.

The question is do people who use computers in public places --lets say cell phones in public places too--do these people have a right to expect privacy?

Does a cell phone person have a right to be upset if they discover you are listening to their conversation? Does a computer user have a right to expect you to look elsewhere when you are sitting next to them using that computer?
Who is the person being rude. The person who listens or the person who is talking into a phone when you dont want to hear them in the first place.?

I remember being on a train reading the newspaper. I was fine with people reading over my shoulder. But I did take umbrage when I was told I couldn't turn the page because they weren't done reading!

Outside having a cigarette with my wife and was discussing this post. She said, "If I take off all my clothes and walk down 301, should I expect people not to look?"

:lmao:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Yes, it is rude to look or listen. However, it is also stupid to have an expectation of privacy any time you are in a public place.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This sort of goofiness is just another offshoot of selfish people who want to be the only person in the world and never have to deal with other humans. If you hold a cell conversation in a crowd, other people will listen in. If you surf the web in a public place, other people will watch.

You do not have a right to privacy when you are in public. The very notion of that is ridiculous.

belvak

Happy Camper
The cell phone thing drives me nuts. If someone is willing to talk about private stuff in public, where people can't help but hear, then no, I don't think they deserve any "privacy." My biggest beef is with people who insist on carrying on conversations on their cell phone while in public restrooms. What about the privacy of the other people in the restroom? As for the computer thing, I think common courtesy would prevail and nobody would deliberately look on. Just like I wouldn't try to read someone's book or newspaper over their shoulder. Basically it all comes down to recognizing that any time you are in a public place using a computer, talking on a cell phone, or doing anything else, it is just that... A public place with no privacy. JMO

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus

Does a person have a right to be upset if they discover you are listening to their conversation? Does a computer user have a right to expect you to look elsewhere when you are sitting next to them using that computer?

A right to be upset, no. No way... but if you are a traveling buisness person who needs to utilize that time to do work, which may or may not be confidental why not take 3M up on their invention. Or say you just want to read over a private email while sitting on the commuter train? I think it's a great idea.

MMDad

Lem Putt
My biggest beef is with people who insist on carrying on conversations on their cell phone while in public restrooms.
That's when you should grunt and fart loudly, and flush a lot. After all, you are in the right place to be doing those things.

awpitt

Main Streeter
This sort of goofiness is just another offshoot of selfish people who want to be the only person in the world and never have to deal with other humans. If you hold a cell conversation in a crowd, other people will listen in. If you surf the web in a public place, other people will watch.

You do not have a right to privacy when you are in public. The very notion of that is ridiculous.
Very well put. That's why they call it public places. If you want privacy, stay home.

KWAK

I have a 3M filter on my work computer - it's great! But to answer you, no I do not think that people should expect privacy while out in public places; however, if you pay for the feature to keep your work private - then so be it. People will still look! It's hard not to, when you look like you're staring into a black screen! And I think that should be acceptable - hence the 'public'. I agree that it may or may not be a selfish thing - only because I work with execs who are forced to work in public - and some of what they do is for internal eyes only.

The cell phone thing - well, that just drives me bonkers! 9 times out of 10 I'm only listening in because I have no choice!

Homer J

Power Chord
We have had a similar issue in our office lately that bears discussion. As I'm sure a good number of us here do, I work in a cube farm. It's almost impossible not to hear other peoples conversations, be they face to face or on the phone (especially if they are on speaker). If you hear someone giving incorrect information relating to a job or product that you are directly or indirectly involved in, should you interupt and correct them or should you wait until they are done, mention it to them or call the other party and offer the correct information?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
The cell phone thing - well, that just drives me bonkers! 9 times out of 10 I'm only listening in because I have no choice!

What I hate are the Borg ear implants. You have somebody looking right at you and talking, but geee they're not talking to you. It's especially bad it the talkers hair covers up the ear implant.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
I do think a plane situation is a little bit different where computer use is concerned. Personally I wouldn't use one on a plane, but to some people it is as though they were reading a book - they figure what they do in the seat they paid for is their business as long as they are not disturbing anybody else.

tiltedangel

GEEZ! GET OVER IT! GO BACK TO BED! AND GET UP NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THINGS! :smack:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yup...

What I hate are the Borg ear implants. You have somebody looking right at you and talking, but geee they're not talking to you. It's especially bad it the talkers hair covers up the ear implant.

...that's ####ed up. I am constantly gawking at people thinking they are talking to themselves or me as I see no phone.

SamSpade

--lets say cell phones in public places too--do these people have a right to expect privacy?

Does a cell phone person have a right to be upset if they discover you are listening to their conversation?

Cell phone or loud conversation on the bus - I deal with it the same way - turn and look directly at them, and lean towards them so that you are clearly listening to their every word. It's amazing - these jerks will suddenly become a little quieter even if they also become irritated that you are listening. Which of course is ridiculous, because they're talking loud enough for people to hear them anywhere on the whole bus. They're *already* broadcasting.

terbear1225

A right to be upset, no. No way... but if you are a traveling buisness person who needs to utilize that time to do work, which may or may not be confidental why not take 3M up on their invention. Or say you just want to read over a private email while sitting on the commuter train? I think it's a great idea.

:yeahthat:

the expectation of privacy is unreasonable. If I'm sitting in panera working on grading/checking my email, I certainly don't expect privacy but if there's a way that I can increase the odds that someone else won't read over my shoulder, why not use it?