Holiday Tipping for Services

Khurley

I have a hair appointment today and was wondering what other people do for tips/gifts around the holiday season. I saw a list on the internet that had every service person listed - postal carrier, trash removal, lawn service and so on! Who can afford this???

angelbaby

Being a hairstylist myself, I have received everything from money, gift cards, boxes of chocolate, homemade cookies, etc. I have to tell you I appreciate all of it. The fact that my clients take the time to remember me at the holidays is just so thoughtful. Your hairstylist will be happy no matter what you give. It's the thought that counts!

terbear1225

I'm not surewhat to do for a daycare center. should we do something for the owner, or just for the girl in piglet's room?

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
Being a hairstylist myself, I have received everything from money, gift cards, boxes of chocolate, homemade cookies, etc. I have to tell you I appreciate all of it. The fact that my clients take the time to remember me at the holidays is just so thoughtful. Your hairstylist will be happy no matter what you give. It's the thought that counts!

If its the thought that counts, why do I have to give service people anything? You said thinking about someone counts. I've thought about you! That should make you feel great :whistle:

Khurley

When my kids were in daycare I gave gifts to the room staff not the manager of the center or the owner.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I give my postal carrier a small present with candies/chocolate or whatever and holiday card. I always get a thank you card in return.

I give my sanitation guy a card and small present. Unlike my neighbors my trash can is always where it's supposed to be, rather than down the street, upside down or in a ditch. :lol:

Khurley

Some of the "etiquette" rules make it sound like the cost of daycare for a week, the cost of a haircut etc. Now that would really add up!

vbailey

vbailey
I'm not surewhat to do for a daycare center. should we do something for the owner, or just for the girl in piglet's room?

You should do for the girls in your child's room. They don't make a lot of money ( I used to work in day care ) The gifts will mean a lot to them.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Some of the "etiquette" rules make it sound like the cost of daycare for a week, the cost of a haircut etc. Now that would really add up!

Yea, that would. However, most companies, including the USPS, and trash company have a limit on the $ amount the gift received by employees can be worth, including even the company I work for. For that reason, I believe personally that the monetary value of any gift to any service provider should be under $20.

From USPS website
While many Postal Service™ customers have traditionally thanked their mail carrier with gifts of cash during the holiday season, this practice puts our employees at risk of violating federal law. The Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch ("Standards"), specifies that Postal Service employees may not accept gifts from outside sources (including Postal Service customers) or gifts given to them because of their official positions. Postal Service employees are also prohibited from soliciting gifts from outside sources.

There are a number of exceptions and exclusions to the general gifts rule . Postal Service employees may accept the following items:

Snacks and beverages that are not offered as part of a meal.
Items with little intrinsic value (i.e., greeting cards, plaques, pens, coffee mugs, etc.).
Perishable items (i.e., flowers, chocolates, cookies, etc.); if the items are clearly worth more than $20, employees should share them with others in the Postal Service workplace.
Items with a market (retail) value of $20 or less.
Gifts motivated solely because of a personal relationship.
Gifts for which the employee has paid market (retail) value.
Gifts paid for by the Postal Service.
Postal Service employees may not accept cash - in any amount or form (bills, checks, money orders) - from an outside source.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Here these tip rules seems more realistic to me

Maid - one week's pay. This is for maids in your employ whom you pay directly. If you use a service and never know who is coming out, don't tip at all. (Miggy note - if you can afford a miad you can afford this tip)
Gardener - $20-50.
USPS Mail carrier - Non-cash gifts with value up to $20. This is for mail carriers that you know and see regularly.
UPS - Regular driver - $15. This is for UPS drivers that you know and see regularly.
FedEx - Not allowed to accept cash gifts, but a gift up to $25 in value is permissible. This is for FedEx drivers that you know and see regularly.
Apartment building superintendent - $50-200. Tip less if you tip throughout the year.
Apartment Doorman/concierge - $10-80 or more each, depending upon building. The fewer doormen the building has, the more you tip each one. Those who serve you more should get a bigger tip.
Apartment building handyman - $15-40 each.
Apartment building elevator operators - $15-40 each.
Shampoo - $10
Manicurist/pedicurist - $15 or more
Hairdresser/stylist - $15 or more
Massage therapist - $15 or more.
Newspaper carrier - Daily - $25, weekend - $10
Regular overnight delivery person - $10-30
Teacher - $25-100. Give a gift certificate to a bookstore or office supply store. If you know the teacher's hobbies or interests, then a gift certificate would be nice from the local movie theater, hobby shop, mall, fine restaurant or day spa. Some teachers might feel uncomfortable receiving gifts around grade time. If you are unsure, ask your principal first.
Coaches, tutors, ballet instructors, music teachers - A small gift from your child.
Garbage collector(s) - $15-30 each. Nowadays, most garbage collectors are really truck drivers. The truck has an arm that does all the work. If this is your situation, there is no need to tip.
Baby sitter - One night's pay, plus a small gift from your child.
Full-time nanny - One week's to one month's pay based on tenure, plus a small gift from your child. (miggy's note - again if you can afford a full time nanny you can afford this tip_
Day care service - $25-70, plus a small gift from your child.
Parking attendants - $10-20 each if you use them regularly.
Personal trainer - $60-100 upon reaching goal.
Country Club - minimum of $50 for your waiters, locker-room personnel, front-desk employees, and golf professionals. For head waiters or special service, make it $100. (miggy note - another one of those if you can afford to play you can afford to pay)
Dog groomer - 1/4 - 1/2 cost of a session.
Dog walker or sitter - 1-2 week's pay.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Wouldn't something you pay retail for be a "purchase" not a gift? :confused:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Here these tip rules seems more realistic to me

Maid - one week's pay. This is for maids in your employ whom you pay directly. If you use a service and never know who is coming out, don't tip at all. (Miggy note - if you can afford a miad you can afford this tip)
Gardener - $20-50.
USPS Mail carrier - Non-cash gifts with value up to $20. This is for mail carriers that you know and see regularly.
UPS - Regular driver - $15. This is for UPS drivers that you know and see regularly.
FedEx - Not allowed to accept cash gifts, but a gift up to $25 in value is permissible. This is for FedEx drivers that you know and see regularly.
Apartment building superintendent - $50-200. Tip less if you tip throughout the year.
Apartment Doorman/concierge - $10-80 or more each, depending upon building. The fewer doormen the building has, the more you tip each one. Those who serve you more should get a bigger tip.
Apartment building handyman - $15-40 each.
Apartment building elevator operators - $15-40 each.
Shampoo - $10
Manicurist/pedicurist - $15 or more
Hairdresser/stylist - $15 or more
Massage therapist - $15 or more.
Newspaper carrier - Daily - $25, weekend - $10
Regular overnight delivery person - $10-30
Teacher - $25-100. Give a gift certificate to a bookstore or office supply store. If you know the teacher's hobbies or interests, then a gift certificate would be nice from the local movie theater, hobby shop, mall, fine restaurant or day spa. Some teachers might feel uncomfortable receiving gifts around grade time. If you are unsure, ask your principal first.
Coaches, tutors, ballet instructors, music teachers - A small gift from your child.
Garbage collector(s) - $15-30 each. Nowadays, most garbage collectors are really truck drivers. The truck has an arm that does all the work. If this is your situation, there is no need to tip.
Baby sitter - One night's pay, plus a small gift from your child.
Full-time nanny - One week's to one month's pay based on tenure, plus a small gift from your child. (miggy's note - again if you can afford a full time nanny you can afford this tip_
Day care service - $25-70, plus a small gift from your child.
Parking attendants - $10-20 each if you use them regularly.
Personal trainer - $60-100 upon reaching goal.
Country Club - minimum of $50 for your waiters, locker-room personnel, front-desk employees, and golf professionals. For head waiters or special service, make it $100. (miggy note - another one of those if you can afford to play you can afford to pay)
Dog groomer - 1/4 - 1/2 cost of a session.
Dog walker or sitter - 1-2 week's pay.

Some of these are really hilarious.

For the mailman, electric meter reader, oil delivery man and UPS I lock the Rotweilers up to make their day easier and less stressful.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
For the mailman, electric meter reader, oil delivery man and UPS I lock the Rotweilers up to make their day easier and less stressful.
Small world.

Do you let the dogs out to play after they enter like we do?

ImnoMensa

I tip my Barber every time he cuts my hair, Christmas is just another hair cut.
The lady that delivers my mail cant read and delivers it all over the neighborhood and I end up delievering the neighbors mail to them after it is left in my box. so she doesnt do soe well in the gift department.

Khurley

I tip my Barber every time he cuts my hair, Christmas is just another hair cut.
The lady that delivers my mail cant read and delivers it all over the neighborhood and I end up delievering the neighbors mail to them after it is left in my box. so she doesnt do soe well in the gift department.

We must have the same mail carrier - except mine isn't usually from the same neighborhood!

terbear1225

i have very few if any students/parents who follow this one