Becoming a US Citizen

charlesctygal

I am in a discussion regarding somebody coming over from Honduras years and years ago, married about 6 years ago to a US citizen. The girl from Honduras is 32 years of age, has two children born in the United States, has a drivers license. My question is, what exactly does she need to do become a full US citizen or get a green card? Does her husband have to sign off for her to become a citizen or get a green card, or would she just have to show her marriage license. I have been looking online, but unable to exact answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated/.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
She needs to apply for citizenship. It is a long, lenghy, expensive process. She should get in contact with an immigration lawyer.

tommyjones

I am in a discussion regarding somebody coming over from Honduras years and years ago, married about 6 years ago to a US citizen. The girl from Honduras is 32 years of age, has two children born in the United States, has a drivers license. My question is, what exactly does she need to do become a full US citizen or get a green card? Does her husband have to sign off for her to become a citizen or get a green card, or would she just have to show her marriage license. I have been looking online, but unable to exact answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated/.

tell her to call the INS :shrug:

charlesctygal

I have another question, her husband right now filing for divorce. If she is not a citizen of hte US, will she be able to keep custody of her 2 children born to him as a result of their marriage? I have a hard time understanding her speaking, so I am trying to get more answers now, than having to keep repeating things.

I always thought by marrying a US citizen defaulted you as a citizen... :shrug:

I would have her consult with an immigration lawyer like Chasey_Lane recommended.

Debbie92454

Hi! I am married to man from El Salvador that is now a premanent resident.
Your friend is gonna need to get her birth certificate from Hondrus and have it translated into English as well. She will need to contact INS and file an I 130 plus an 485. She can not go from non resident to citzen. She needs to apply for premanent resident with adjustment of status first. These forms will need to be sent to Vermont and can take up to a year to get a visa number. She needs the visa number before they will adjust her status and give her a green card. Then she needs to keep the green card for three years before she can apply for citizenship. With the I130 and the 485 she will pay not only a processing fee, but a penalty for being illegal. She will also need several passport photo's and will be given papers to make an appointment with an INS approved medical provider for a physical that will need to be done and submitted with her paper work. They will also do a background check and fingerprints.Long process. She will also need to show any photo's of her wedding. yes you go through a lot. Another thing is she will need to be able to not only speak English but write in English by the time she goes for her citizenship.
Since I read that she has a drivers license, hope she has never registered to vote, or even voted as she violates the law if she has and therefore, not eleigalble for a green card or citizenship and can be deported whether she has children here or not.

Debbie92454

I have another question, her husband right now filing for divorce. If she is not a citizen of hte US, will she be able to keep custody of her 2 children born to him as a result of their marriage? I have a hard time understanding her speaking, so I am trying to get more answers now, than having to keep repeating things.

I just read this and if they are getting a divorce, she can not get a premanent residnet card, nor citizenship as she has to have the green card for three years and still married to the man for those three years and prove they are living together.

charlesctygal

I just read this and if they are getting a divorce, she can not get a premanent residnet card, nor citizenship as she has to have the green card for three years and still married to the man for those three years and prove they are living together.

Thank you Debbie, your info helped alot.

Debbie92454

I always thought by marrying a US citizen defaulted you as a citizen... :shrug:

I would have her consult with an immigration lawyer like Chasey_Lane recommended.

No it is not automatic. I have been married to my husband for 14 years. He can not read very well , so he has to wait 3 more years until he is 60 in order to get his citienship, because of his non ability to read. The written test is waviered for people over 60 that has been here for over 15 years.

Debbie92454

I feel for her. I have stuggled with all this as we have been trying to get all my step children as well as grandchildren out of El Salvador. I have green cards for three of them and am still waiting on the other two adult children. There are many immigration lawyers. If she wants the name of good one pm me. He has really helped us, but he does cost. Also she can get help in Langley park through the local community center on Piney Branch Road and Flower Ave. This is the center that people have been complaining about on this forum.