St. Mary's Teen Killed When Car Hits Pole in Solomons

K

Kain99

A St. Mary's County teenager was killed and four other young men were injured early yesterday when their car veered off a Calvert County road and struck a utility pole, Maryland State Police said.

The teen is the fifth youth to die in a traffic fatality this year in Southern Maryland.

Some of the car's occupants told police that the driver, 21-year-old William T. Douglas of St. Mary's, had been drinking before the crash in the southern Calvert community of Solomons, state police Lt. Homer R. Rich said. Police said blood samples taken from Douglas at the hospital were being tested to determine if he was drunk. No charges have been filed.

The crash instantly killed Martin K. Herbert Jr., 16, who was riding in the front passenger seat of a 2002 Hyundai driven by Douglas. The car was headed north on H.G. Trueman Road about 3 a.m. when Douglas failed to negotiate a turn, careered into a grassy median and continued about 200 feet before hitting the pole, Rich said.

"The road bent to the right, but he went straight," Rich said. "It's very typical of someone who has been drinking and is unfamiliar with the area."

Douglas suffered lacerations and serious head injuries, police said, and was taken to St. Mary's Hospital. A hospital spokeswoman refused to disclose his condition because he had not given permission.

Three back-seat passengers -- Elvis T. Frederick, 17, Derrick Day, 18, and Tory Herbert, 18, all of St. Mary's -- were treated and released from area hospitals, authorities said.

Nearly a teenager a month has died in car crashes this year in Southern Maryland. Fifteen now have been killed in the last 18 months, a death toll almost as high as that of Montgomery and Fairfax counties combined.

A separate crash Monday afternoon in Calvert nearly pushed that toll even higher. A 13-year-old boy, whose name was not released, and Curtis L. Millsap, 18, remained in critical condition yesterday after Millsap lost control of his car on Mount Harmony Road and hit a telephone pole, police said.

The high number of fatalities has puzzled authorities and prompted increased speed enforcement in areas where the accidents occurred. Calvert Sheriff Mike Evans has compared the region's epidemic of deadly accidents to Baltimore's high homicide rate.

Ten hours after Herbert's death, Calvert commissioners allocated $8,400 to pay deputies overtime for special traffic monitoring -- including speed traps on Route 4, where 12 people have died in crashes this year. "Hopefully, it will make a difference," Evans said.

There were no witnesses to the accident in which Herbert was killed, and police were unsure yesterday where the group had been just before the accident. Crystal Herbert, the teenager's mother, said she last saw her son sometime Monday night, when he left with friends to go "joy riding."

"You get five young people together in a car, and a number of things could have happened," Rich said.

Herbert had just finished his freshman year at Great Mills High School, and he was a popular student, school officials and family members said. Assistant Principal Deborah Conrad remembered his smile and polite manners. "He would say 'yes, ma'am' and 'no, ma'am,' " she said. "He will be missed."

Herbert made many of his friends during the four years he organized programs and mentored others at the St. Mary's County Teen Center, where his death hit especially hard.

"We cried a lot today," said Gwen Bankins, the center's special events coordinator. "He was just beginning to speak out, and he was reaching his peak. . . . It's like I lost a son."

Herbert said her son dreamed of joining the military and becoming a pilot like his grandfather, who flew for the military during World War II.

Blondie76

That's horrible. I hope all the young kids out there will remember this and won't be foolish enough to go out drinking and driving. Especially when you have passengers in your car.

F

Flo

Originally posted by jlabsher
16 year old out at 3 AM? Of course it isn't the parent's fault!

(Some of the car's occupants told police that the driver, 21-year-old William T. Douglas of St. Mary's, had been drinking before the crash....)

(Crystal Herbert, the teenager's mother, said she last saw her son sometime Monday night, when he left with friends to go "joy riding.")

What is wrong with this picture?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Yea, but I don't understand why if it happened at 3 they were removing the body at 6:30....:confused:

Plus, if the cops are gonna set speed traps to catch these kind of drivers, why are they doing it during my morning commute?! :burning:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by migtig
Plus, if the cops are gonna set speed traps to catch these kind of drivers, why are they doing it during my morning commute?! :burning:
Because it's a conspiracy ding dong! :rolleyes:

Tiki Thursday?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Originally posted by RoseRed
Because it's a conspiracy ding dong! :rolleyes:

Tiki Thursday?
Oh yea, after the doctor's appt. I'll be ready, meds or no meds. It's been 2 weeks!!!!!! :eek:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Wait a minute

I'm confused (no surprise). Is H.G. Trueman road near the McDonalds? I thought it was a bit more north??

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
H.G. Trueman is the old route 2/4 that runs in front of McDonald's and through Lusby. The old route 2/4 was chopped up into a bunch of Route 765 pieces, which H.G. Trueman is, just to add to the confusion.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Re: Wait a minute

Originally posted by cattitude
I'm confused (no surprise). Is H.G. Trueman road near the McDonalds? I thought it was a bit more north??
:shrug: I thought that was Piney Point Lookout road or something, but I don't know street names that well.

K

Kain99

Yea, but I don't understand why if it happened at 3 they were removing the body at 6:30....:confused:
Body removal is always the last step in a long process. The living are treated and transported, then the accident is reconstructed then the coroner or funeral home is called. :frown:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Wait a minute

:shrug: I thought that was Piney Point Lookout road or something, but I don't know street names that well.
:shrug: Wrong county? :shrug:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by jazz lady
H.G. Trueman is the old route 2/4 that runs in front of McDonald's and through Lusby. The old route 2/4 was chopped up into a bunch of Route 765 pieces, which H.G. Trueman is, just to add to the confusion.

Gotcha, thanks. I know I see the sign everytime I go to Solomons but couldn't get my pea brain to paint me a picture. :biggrin:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
A guy I ran into at McDonald's yesterday said that another kid died from the crash later on, and that the driver was going about 100 mph when he hit the pole - that the crash was so severe, it was difficult to tell what kind of car it was right away.

Kids - *3am* - joyriding drunk at 100 mph. It is very sad, but I am having a hard time being very sympathetic. Saddened but also a bit angry too.

NAS

Originally posted by Frank

Kids - *3am* - joyriding drunk at 100 mph. It is very sad, but I am having a hard time being very sympathetic. Saddened but also a bit angry too. [/B]

i feel the same way ,lord knows i would hate to have a child taken from me isnt that why we r the parents and when our kids make wrong decissions we r the ones who take charge and say NO, my children are adults now and i still give them good advise so i know goodness well if my teenager wanted to go joyridin my answer would have been NO, heck at 16 during the summer my kids had to b inthe house by a certian time and believe me it wasnt 3am!!!!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by PoliticalAnlyst
Doesn't MD have a driving curfew for minor drivers?
I believe that there is a restricted license for drivers under 18 with time of day restrictions, other than that I don't know of a general curfew.