St. Mary's County Firing 40 teachers!

Geek

I heard this today and it seems insane. Laying off teachers due to budget cuts?! How does this make any sense? There is a hiring freeze right now. Of all the things to cut? Teachers?!

B

Bronwyn

I heard this today and it seems insane. Laying off teachers due to budget cuts?! How does this make any sense? There is a hiring freeze right now. Of all the things to cut? Teachers?!

Wonder what happened to all of the kids these teachers were in charge of? Were they re-distributed to overload other teachers?

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
I sure hope that it will be the teachers that are their for a paycheck because this layoff is something that has been needed for a long time because some teachers are getting to complacent in their jobs. Not willing to go that extra mile for our kids. I think teachers should be required by law to work 10 hour days 5 days a week not 7 hours. Then they will make up for them summer breaks that they are getting paid for maybe they will have more time for parent teacher confrences. They system needs a huge shake up to get rid of all the waste. I hope this Layoff will happen but they need to get rid of the right ones.

R

RadioPatrol

this is the ploy to get you to give in to higher taxes

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!
I sure hope that it will be the teachers that are their for a paycheck because this layoff is something that has been needed for a long time because some teachers are getting to complacent in their jobs. Not willing to go that extra mile for our kids. I think teachers should be required by law to work 10 hour days 5 days a week not 7 hours. Then they will make up for them summer breaks that they are getting paid for maybe they will have more time for parent teacher confrences. They system needs a huge shake up to get rid of all the waste. I hope this Layoff will happen but they need to get rid of the right ones.

Whoaa Whoaa Whoaa....Wait a minute....Let's see, Leonardtown HS is about 300 kids over capacity, Leonardtown MS is about 200 kids over capacity, Great Mills HS is about 200 kids over capacity, etc and so on and so on...and YOU WANT this layoff to weed out the bad teachers?

Now do not get me wrong, a bad teacher should go but the Dr. M and the principal of the school should have the balls (I know sexist) to fire the teachers that do not perform to standards. If the teacher isnt performing then that is basis for dismissal, plain and simple...

But layoffs, lets see..teachers underpaid to get screamed at by brats, to discipline kids only to be told they can't, are expected to be babysitters for kids, have to deal with parents yelling at them, blaming them for their childs faults. Teachers need to be paid MORE and should not have to worry about layoffs become some politicians are playing political games.

Oh yea, but yet we still pay lots of money to watch a bunch of uneducated athletes chase a ball around.....go figure

Personally it sounds to me like you are either a teacher and have issues with some of your peers or you are a parent that is not having a good relationship with your kids teacher...

I, on the other hand have no affliation with the school system, any teachers or school employee or do I have any family memeber in the education field. BUT I am extremely upset over this political manipulation by our state and county governments to get what they want. But then again, the people voted these jerks into office, so everyone should have expected this.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Or maybe if derelicts like JPC got jobs we'd be able to afford those 40 plus a few hundred more..

BUT RP is right.. they can't afford these 40 teachers so we better raise taxes BEYOND the 20% increase they've already levied against us/

greyhound

Then they will make up for them summer breaks that they are getting paid for maybe they will have more time for parent teacher confrences.

Teachers are only getting paid for the time that they work. Their pay is broken down so that they get paychecks over the summer.

mackco79

Are you crazy??? :smack: I know a few teachers and you might as well say they work ten hour days when they are sitting home gradeing papers every night and taking care of a family and trying to have a life at the same time!!! I also know that many teachers take on extra jobs in the summer to help with the lack of money they are paid for teaching our kids the basics of life to make it in the world...:doh: I dont care what job you look at there are always some slackers but 40 teachers thats a bit much on a school system that seems to already be behind...

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

They have a union. Last hired, first fired.
Thank MoM, while the state education budget went way up, it all goes to Baltimore. I think St.Mary's took a $150 mil cut in their budget

T

toppick08

Are you crazy??? :smack: I know a few teachers and you might as well say they work ten hour days when they are sitting home gradeing papers every night and taking care of a family and trying to have a life at the same time!!! I also know that many teachers take on extra jobs in the summer to help with the lack of money they are paid for teaching our kids the basics of life to make it in the world...:doh: I dont care what job you look at there are always some slackers but 40 teachers thats a bit much on a school system that seems to already be behind...

:wah:

T

toppick08

You can't blame that on him...

You can blame it on your insane rise in home prices, that has now crashed...

Look in the tax records at the lower assessments because of the dropping prices...

What you can blame on the state Government is a lack of foresight that the housing party was going to last forever...

:deadhorse

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

:smack: Thanks, but that's JPC economics.
MoM presented a budget that was WAY over the available funds, then called a special session to figure out how they could gouge every last nickle out of the residents that actually work and than give it to the ones that sit home and collect welfare

Dukesdad

Who did you hear it from? Was it a reputable source or is this just another rumor?

J

jaybeeztoo

They can opt to get paid 12 months and it breaks up their salary the same way as if they get paid for the months they do work. They are not getting a free ride during the summer. A new teacher only makes $30K a year and I don't think it's worth it. Yep, let's lay off 40 of them and overload the remaining ones :sarcasm:

I normally don't say it, but your's is about the dumbest post I've ever seen. Live a week in the shoes of teacher and then rethink your position.

J

jaybeeztoo

You can blame it on your insane rise in home prices, that has now crashed...

Look in the tax records at the lower assessments because of the dropping prices...

What you can blame on the state Government is a lack of foresight that the housing party was going to last forever...

Good Lord, would you shut up about the housing market. It's getting really old. Find a new persona. :whack:

J

jaybeeztoo

Not talking about it will surely fix it...

"The mortgage crisis, which roiled the U.S. housing market, was the No. 2 story, and the war in Iraq placed third. Iraq was the No. 1 story in 2006, and has finished in the top three since 2002 — the year of the prewar buildup."

Top news story: Virginia Tech killings - Yahoo! News

:whistle:

You posted that elsewhere. I already saw it. :duh:

You don't need to educate me.

I worked real estate and understand the market is down...not like it was a couple of years ago. It's all a Wheel of Fortune. It goes up, it goes down. Accept it. So it's in a slump right now, but I'll bet you my life it will be back up again.