Off Roading

awwalker02

I have a Jeep Cherokee with no lift, is there any places around here to take it offroading? I found a nice dirt road off Fairgrounds Road but I am bored with that and need something new.

AndyMarquisLIVE

I have a Jeep Cherokee with no lift, is there any places around here to take it offroading? I found a nice dirt road off Fairgrounds Road but I am bored with that and need something new.
You got me. I've been looking for a place in Charles to take my Iraqi Oil loving SUV.

R

RadioPatrol

How far are you willing to drive ? Would that be a Cherokee XJ, or Cherokee Full size or FSJ ?

XJ:

Image of 85 Chero and 68 VW - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

FSJ:

Image of 83 Cherokee and 87 GW - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Not that it matters why type of jeep, I am merely curious as a fellow jeep owner / Driver

Anyhow SOMD is decidedly lacking in places to 4 wheel unless you know someone with a farm willing to grant access - and there are less and less every year with the big push to build ####ing houses every damn where .....

I can recommend Powell Mtn Rr outside Woodstock VA for a Challenge, I took my wife's stock 94 Ford Explorer through a couple yrs ago and there was plenty of rocks I had to drive carefully around - 4 wheeling is 90% driver BTW

anyhow ....

Woodstock, VA, United States of America - Google Maps

look for Powell Mountian Rd - going southwest away from Woodstock Tower Rd.

let me know if you want further places to go .... anything worth driving on is 3-5 hrs drive west from us

Duane's 4x4 Trail Page the trail guides are about 1/2 way down

Last edited by a moderator:
E

(((echo)))

I know a place where alot of 4 wheelers and dirtbikes go, up on 301 called "the powerlines" but i dont know if any 4x4's go there....iv'e been look'n for places ever since i got the hummer....but no luck yet

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
I know a place where alot of 4 wheelers and dirtbikes go, up on 301 called "the powerlines" but i dont know if any 4x4's go there....iv'e been look'n for places ever since i got the hummer....but no luck yet

Is that just south of Southern Maryland Hospital?

R

RadioPatrol

yeah I know about that place ........

we used to go down by the Potomac River, over looking Smoot Bay, just to be "In the Woods" but now some company :rolleyes: is building this huge hotel where I used to park my VW ....... :whistle:

unixpirate

Pitty Party
ummm i think so.....just a lil north on rt5 past the 301 split in clinton

Yes that's the place. It's not big enough for trucks/jeeps etc. It's designed for the ATV and dirt bikes.

Last I heard they shut it down completely since a few guys died. There are signs posted "no trespassing".

Good Luck!

R

RadioPatrol

lol yeah you could downsize to an Explorer or Cherokee .... maybe an econbox to commute in and an older jeep you can work on for wheeling ...........

mattvivslivesou

www.meerkatsound.com
For off roading places... There used to be a place in Crofton called Yellowgates, it used to be ran by a group called Maryland Mud Bugs. I remember reading on some national forums that if you are caught wheeling back there, you are getting arrested on the spot and charged with trespassing and vehicle goes to the impounded and then stripped. At one point there was a few citations posted on the web.

There is 3 legal place with in the region:
» George Washington National Forest
» Big Dogs Off Road
» Rausch Creek Off Road Park
» Paragon Adventure Park

their is a group in Maryland called Maryland Creepers, they have frequent trail ride to these locations and a couple furture away.

Last edited:

Crow Bait

I'd say that off roading has no place in SOMD... first, there are no large stands of public land that are suitable. Second, there are places in Va/Pa/Wv that are more suitable.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Yes that's the place. It's not big enough for trucks/jeeps etc. It's designed for the ATV and dirt bikes.

Last I heard they shut it down completely since a few guys died. There are signs posted "no trespassing".

Good Luck!
I used to take my truck back there all the time. There used to be 2 back ways that I knew of to get in off Surrats road.

They have always tried to keep people out. People found ways around. Due to insurance they have too.

Oh also this is PG county your talking about also, bunch of bikes were stolen back there. Guys would sit and wait for you to come riding by and pull out guns and steal your bike. :lmao: Gotta love my hometown :pete: