Market Research Help Needed

booklover

Hello everyone;

Just found this forum (after 3 years in SM) and what a fountain of knowledge it is! I have a question for anyone willing to take the time to give me some valuable information.

I am retiring from the Navy soon, and am following a dream of opening a used bookstore down here. But I really need to get some advice from people who live here. What I'm looking for is information on where everyone shops; what shopping areas you stay away from because of the traffic/congestion etc. Any ideas of where the best place to locate a good used bookstore? Do you think that it needs to be in a very populated place like a strip mall (San Sousi, Leonardtown) or do you think people would go through a little extra effort to find me since there aren't any used book stores in our area?

Finally, I'm going to be looking to buy hundreds and hundreds of books, by the lot or ones and twos, any ideas? Anyone want to dust off their shelves and unload some books in good condition?

Thanks for any information you all can give me, and I'm glad I found this forum. It's given me lots of good ideas.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by booklover
Hello everyone;

Just found this forum (after 3 years in SM) and what a fountain of knowledge it is! I have a question for anyone willing to take the time to give me some valuable information.

I am retiring from the Navy soon, and am following a dream of opening a used bookstore down here. But I really need to get some advice from people who live here. What I'm looking for is information on where everyone shops; what shopping areas you stay away from because of the traffic/congestion etc. Any ideas of where the best place to locate a good used bookstore? Do you think that it needs to be in a very populated place like a strip mall (San Sousi, Leonardtown) or do you think people would go through a little extra effort to find me since there aren't any used book stores in our area?

Finally, I'm going to be looking to buy hundreds and hundreds of books, by the lot or ones and twos, any ideas? Anyone want to dust off their shelves and unload some books in good condition?

Thanks for any information you all can give me, and I'm glad I found this forum. It's given me lots of good ideas.

Hey!

So glad you're doing that. There used to be a couple of good ones in Solomon's, but they've gone by the wayside.
I have a TON of books that I just can't bear to throw away.
I'm sure everyone else here can tell you more about where to locate, etc.
Thanks for your service to the Navy, and good luck!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have three words for you:

Wonder Book & Video

We have one here in Frederick and it's my all-time favorite store in the whole wide world. There was a gal who did a used book store years ago in Leonardtown but she wasn't very successful at it - no selection, high prices for used books, like that. I think her rent was prohibitive as well.

Stay away from Lexington Park - yucky area. As far as books go, more is more. Do videos, too - new AND used.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Re: Re: Market Research Help Needed

Originally posted by bknarw

Hey!

So glad you're doing that. There used to be a couple of good ones in Solomon's, but they've gone by the wayside.
I have a TON of books that I just can't bear to throw away.
I'm sure everyone else here can tell you more about where to locate, etc.
Thanks for your service to the Navy, and good luck!

Hey BK, did you know there's a used bookstore in Prince Frederick. It's in the Fox Run shopping center, near Peebles I think.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
JMO - If you are too hidden, I am not gonna hunt for you. However costs of rent would be prohibitive to where you want to be. Strip malls are fantastic for drop in traffic, however those little houses right off 5/235 could be great too due to the fact if you place some great signs out - people would be destined to pull in while out running errands - I did it with that shop with the Yankee candles - but now they are moving out of my line of sight so out of sight out of mind, and with all those other little shops up and down 5/235 I am always going to stop at least once while out and about to at least "check it out"

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by booklover

Welcome, welcome, WELCOME! A used book store in this area would be super. Since Ellie's Paperback Shack closed around here probably a good 10+ years ago and the one in Solomons closed a couple years back, there isn't anywhere near St. Mary's that sells/trades used books.

I don't know what kind of books you are looking for, but I have a quite a few I am looking to find new homes IMMEDIATELY due to my moving - lots of hard-covers and paperbacks in an assortment of styles. If interested, let me know.

watercolor

yeah yeah
GOOD!

Bring in the used book store. :)

I will spend my whole paycheck in there...and pay your rent...lol!

But..anyway..Omm Lets see, I would like to see it go into the san souci lot or something, or whatever. I dont know what exactly you are looking for, I mean since you mentioned that wondering of people going outta their way and such, I know I would. Cause I am a reader. But...I do know that I would go. Just not to far away. You know! Nothing, in waldorf or something. You know

But I think somewhere in the California or Leonardtown area..or something like that!

*smile*

I will work for you!

booklover

WOW! Thanks for all the good comments, they are great and I hope they keep coming in, the more the merrier! I can't wait to show my husband all of your comments.

Jazz Lady - I am interested in your books, I'll email you!

Watercolor - are you an artist by any chance? I'm going to need one once I find a place. I want to do Luftamalari ,ver heard of it? It's paintings, murals actually, painted on the outside of buildings. I saw it in Germany all over the place and it is so clever and some of them are so funny (i.e. Dogs seemingly passing beer to each other through the windows, really an eye catcher!).

I agree that one of those little houses on 235 would be great, I'd love a fun and funky kind of place, and if it's not in a strip mall I can do more - that was a thought that was in the back of my mind but not yet articulated, so thanks for bringing it up.

Any ideas what the used bookstores that went by the wayside did wrong? I understand about the high rent and no selection in Leonardtown, but how about Solomons?

What about a name? I have lots of ideas, but I can't decide between keeping it simple (my last name) or getting clever. Does a name pull you in to- or keep you out of - a store?

I truly welcome any and all thoughts from all of you - anyone - anywhere - help! I'm keeping my fingures crossed that I can get a cross section of ideas, horror stories, success stories about the retail business. You can only get so much out of business books and magazines and courses, and then you need to go to the people!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Booklover -

I am totally drawn to stores with unique names and atmospheres - we used to have "The Elephant's Trunk" as our local "unique boutique." And the funkier the atmosphere, the better! I was in heaven on a recent trip to Sedona, Arizona - funky little town with lots of boutiques.

I'm not sure why the used bookstores in the area didn't make it - Ellie's Paperback Shack still has a store for sure Prince Frederick and maybe one in Waldorf - you might want to talk to the owner about why the one in St. Mary's closed. I don't remember why the one in Solomons closed - it was in the Calvert paper when it happened a couple years back - I think it was more due to retirement or moving out of the area than lack of business.

I'm going to be moving next week, so the time would be perfect to "adopt" my books. Send me a PM and we'll hook up.

Slightly off topic - anybody know what to do with old textbooks and reference books (mainly computer subjects) - can they be recycled in Calvert or St. Mary's???

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
hey all, was just going thru some old threads here and saw this one ... Booklover, did you get your bookstore going yet ? I would love to see a used bookstore in this area, have always been an avid reader ( and I used to work in a bookstore years ago ... great job :biggrin: ) and have not seen any stores around here since I moved :frown: Please please open one soon !!! And even though I have only been in the area for a week now I agree that one of those older homes on 235 would make a great shop ! :smile: