Anyone been here since the late 70's

D

Dixie

or early 80's? And if so do you remember a Mexican restaurant - hole in the wall type - that used to be near the Tulagi Place?

We were talking at work the other day about how much this place has changed and I had mentioned that there used to be a row of old dusty stores and a Mexican restaurant on Shangrila and a shop called the Hub (I think) near Linda's Cafe. One of the people said he's been here forever and that there was never a restaurant there but when I was with VP 68 - all the reserves used to eat lunch there - they served sangria that was ice cold in aluminum pitchers - home made I think - it was delicious.

Sorry long story - I was just curious if anyone else remembered it and the name by any chance?

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
or early 80's? And if so do you remember a Mexican restaurant - hole in the wall type - that used to be near the Tulagi Place?

We were talking at work the other day about how much this place has changed and I had mentioned that there used to be a row of old dusty stores and a Mexican restaurant on Shangrila and a shop called the Hub (I think) near Linda's Cafe. One of the people said he's been here forever and that there was never a restaurant there but when I was with VP 68 - all the reserves used to eat lunch there - they served sangria that was ice cold in aluminum pitchers - home made I think - it was delicious.

Sorry long story - I was just curious if anyone else remembered it and the name by any chance?

You are talking about " The Pub La Casa ". It was in a OLD restaruant attached to the OLD Hotel, on Coral place where the new Lexington Park post office is.
As far as the VP68 days, you are probley talking about " Jack's Shack". On Rt. 5 ( now called Point Lookout rd. ) at the end of Willows road, just before Park Hall Elem. School.
Your friend is right, there has never been a Mexican restaurant on Shangrila Drive. Shangrila Drive is not a cross street of Tulagi Place.
Thans for the trip down memory lane.

D

Dixie

Yeah - it would have been where the new post office is - Pub La Casa huh - we used to just call it the Mexican Restaurant - I never heard of Jack's Place - it was definately the place on Coral - all the pilots used to go there on drill weekend for a two hour lunch - Glen Gray, Pat Smith, - can't even remember all the names anymore. What was the name of the clothing store that was on the end of the block - was it Hub? I'd forgotten there was a hotel there at one time - were there little shops along that strip also - like hobby type things? Wish I had an old picture.

T

toppick08

Yeah - it would have been where the new post office is - Pub La Casa huh - we used to just call it the Mexican Restaurant - I never heard of Jack's Place - it was definately the place on Coral - all the pilots used to go there on drill weekend for a two hour lunch - Glen Gray, Pat Smith, - can't even remember all the names anymore. What was the name of the clothing store that was on the end of the block - was it Hub? I'd forgotten there was a hotel there at one time - were there little shops along that strip also - like hobby type things? Wish I had an old picture.

Yes, the Hub.............:howdy:

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE

Romers stationary store, shoe repair shop, Plaza movie theatre, Tropics bar and 1 or 2 more small store fronts which I can't recall.

D

Dixie

Romers stationary store, shoe repair shop, Plaza movie theatre, Tropics bar and 1 or 2 more small store fronts which I can't recall.

THAT'S IT!!!!! Don't remember the movie or bar - but I remember the stationary store, and shoe repair - which I really wish we had in Saint Mary's county. I can remember eating in that restaurant and seeing roaches on the walls - but the food and sangria was so good it was easy to overlook (as long as you were watching your food and it wasn't wriggling) - if that happened today I'd be gagging.

deitz shoe store, also... them dam black and white saddle shoes..... grrrr graduated to the brown suede ones in middle school...

HA HA I remember shopping at the Prissy hen with my grandmother, went to Deitz and talked her into buying me a pair of desert boots... she was like are you sure you are going to wear these things? oh yeah... they were the bomb in the 70's

then we would go to Kings 5 and dime and have lunch at the counter... I loved King's cuz they had fish and birds and turtles for sale... lol

Last edited:

wineo

loving life
isnt there a shoe repair place across from CVS on GM road?

Theres one in Leonardtown, on the left before you get to Mattingly's funeral home. One arm man, never can remember his name, but he is great. The only problem is his hours, never know when he is there. I haven't gone to him in a few years, but I'm sure it is still there.

I saw you wearing those Black and Whites:whistle:, so don't act like you don't like them:lmao:
:smoochy:

Theres one in Leonardtown, on the left before you get to Mattingly's funeral home. One arm man, never can remember his name, but he is great. The only problem is his hours, never know when he is there. I haven't gone to him in a few years, but I'm sure it is still there.

I saw you wearing those Black and Whites:whistle:, so don't act like you don't like them:lmao:
:smoochy:

Lord knows u cant wear them out... believe me I tried.. drag them behind the bike hahahaha ... I have a pair of boots I would like to have re-soled prob cost a small fortune tho

u remember when everyone was eating those big packs of kool-aid outta the bag at school? walk around with red and purple fingers?

wineo

loving life
Lord knows u cant wear them out... believe me I tried.. drag them behind the bike hahahaha ... I have a pair og boots I would like to have re-soled prob cost a small fortune tho

Drive by there on your way to work and see if his shop is still there. He is very resonable with prices, and he dosen't know what og boots are.

D

Dixie

That guy worked out of the shoe repair place that was across from CVS also - a year or so ago I was told he no longer does that work- been sick or something. I go to Waldorf when I need tips replaced - drives me crazy - it's $5.00 a shoe. Checked online for tips but they're just as expensive and you have to make sure of the size or it's a waste of money.

Anyone remember the Ben Franklin in Leonardtown - used to be a great place to shop for hobby stuff at Christmas.

wineo

loving life
Lord knows u cant wear them out... believe me I tried.. drag them behind the bike hahahaha ... I have a pair of boots I would like to have re-soled prob cost a small fortune tho

u remember when everyone was eating those big packs of kool-aid outta the bag at school? walk around with red and purple fingers?

Yes, but what about the powder candy and you got a stick with it so you didn't get your fingers stained. Better yet how those bottle caps? They were so good.:lmao:

Drive by there on your way to work and see if his shop is still there. He is very resonable with prices, and he dosen't know what og boots are.

hahaha I fixed that.... but he prob doesn't know what ugg's are either... these are my cowgirl boots .. I wanna be a cowgirl when i grow up!

wineo

loving life
That guy worked out of the shoe repair place that was across from CVS also - a year or so ago I was told he no longer does that work- been sick or something. I go to Waldorf when I need tips replaced - drives me crazy - it's $5.00 a shoe. Checked online for tips but they're just as expensive and you have to make sure of the size or it's a waste of money.

Anyone remember the Ben Franklin in Leonardtown - used to be a great place to shop for hobby stuff at Christmas.

They moved to Leon. Center, not sure if it is still there. I miss the Fashion Center in Leonardtown, you could get quaility clothes and they had the best sales. Let's not forget about Mickey's before they started selling to the skate crowd. They use to have the best prices on jeans after the Hub closed.

wineo

loving life
hahaha I fixed that.... but he prob doesn't know what ugg's are either... these are my cowgirl boots .. I wanna be a cowgirl when i grow up!

You can move to Texas, you have friends there. Then you can look for a cowboy and live your dream.:lmao: He told me he is filing Chapter 13, maybe he could use a roommate:whistle: I'll PM you with details.