Charles County Divorce Lawyers?

Grammie

I would really appreciate any recommendations. My daughter's husband told her he was leaving her and their two children. Fortunately, the little ones are with us for the Christmas break. She is planning to put her notice in at work and come back to Maryland and live with us till she gets on her feet.

Mikeinsmd

I would really appreciate any recommendations. My daughter's husband told her he was leaving her and their two children. Fortunately, the little ones are with us for the Christmas break. She is planning to put her notice in at work and come back to Maryland and live with us till she gets on her feet.
Kevin Peragoy (sp)

cuckoldcreek

get John Mudd if you can. He knows the ropes- won't waste time. Sorry for the misfortune. Divorce is the worst hell one can go through. And it never ends if you have kids.

Grammie

Thanks so much for all the recommendations. It is going to be a difficult process, but the start of a much better life for her and the children.

charlesctygal

I would recommend John Mudd or John Ray, both are partners at Mudd, Mudd and Fitzgerald in La Plata. Number is 301-934-9541. They may be expensive, but they get results. John Mudd has been practicing this type of law for over 30 years, and John Ray for about 20 years. Both are highly experienced, but if you go there, make sure it is one of them who you meet with, and not a younger girl, she is still learning the ropes. I very highly recommend Mudd or Ray. If you cannot get them, try William Fanning in La Plata, or Kevin Peregoy in Waldorf. Do not go to Hotchkiss!

I would stay away from Burgess, is not really into his clients all that much.

charlesctygal

Oh, I just read over your initial question regarding recommendations for divorce attorney again. If your daughter and her husband do not reside in Maryland, you cannot file for divorce or custody in Maryland unless you have lived here permanently for a year or 12 months. You would need to file in another state.

I am not sure about just getting a separation agreement drawn up, that may be different though, if they stay separated for one full year.

ImnoMensa

Where is the divorce going to be.? You say she is coming back to Maryland.
From where? Where is her husband filing and where will the case be held.?

If it is held a long way away that lawyer is going to charge you door to door to the courtroom. If he travels from La Plata to manassas Va, its going to get expensive just for the trip. Also judges tend to see things a little more favorably for home town lawyers, and they know the State laws where they practice.

You might want to contact a lawyer while waiting but I can tell you from personal experience you are a long way away from seeing a Judge.

First come the mediators, then come the Master's, then come the therapists for the kids and of course an assigned lawyer to represent the kids, after all that you may get to see a Judge.

Perhaps if you file first you can have the case held in La Plata in which case its my understandgin that Mudd is about the best although i like Joe Knabel. Nic guy with an office in Waldorf. Plan on paying $250 t0 $350 an hour no matter who you get and phone calls are extra.

If the two of them could get together and work this out themselves you culd save a barrel of money, unfortunately that is the difficult part especially when it come to alimony and child support, visitation rights and who custodial custody.

charlesctygal

Where is the divorce going to be.? You say she is coming back to Maryland.
From where? Where is her husband filing and where will the case be held.?

If it is held a long way away that lawyer is going to charge you door to door to the courtroom. If he travels from La Plata to manassas Va, its going to get expensive just for the trip. Also judges tend to see things a little more favorably for home town lawyers, and they know the State laws where they practice.

You might want to contact a lawyer while waiting but I can tell you from personal experience you are a long way away from seeing a Judge.

First come the mediators, then come the Master's, then come the therapists for the kids and of course an assigned lawyer to represent the kids, after all that you may get to see a Judge.

Perhaps if you file first you can have the case held in La Plata in which case its my understandgin that Mudd is about the best although i like Joe Knabel. Nic guy with an office in Waldorf. Plan on paying $250 t0 $350 an hour no matter who you get and phone calls are extra.

If the two of them could get together and work this out themselves you culd save a barrel of money, unfortunately that is the difficult part especially when it come to alimony and child support, visitation rights and who custodial custody.

I agree. If they can work out any issues amongst themselves first, that would save so much time and MONEY. It gets real expensive. And in Charles and St. Mary's Cty, the Judges are more favorable to hometown attorneys. Remember, if she has not resided in Maryland for at least one year, she cannot file for custody or divorce here, and she will have to file in the State she lived in, or somewhere else. Maryland Rules require a person to live in the State of Maryland one year immediatley prior to the filing of a complaint for custody or divorce. Again, if they can, try to work together to save time.