Cigarette Tax Increase

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I went to Sheetz at the corner of Rt. 235 & Chancellors Run at 5:20 pm on 31 Dec 2007 to buy some smokes remembering that the $2.00 per pack tax increase was due to take effect on 1 Jan 08.

The cashier informed me that the increase was effective on 31 Dec 07.

How can they legally increase the cost prior to the 'effective' date?

Now that a carton of cigerettes cost close to $50.00 (exact cost was: $46.49 plus $2.33 tax for a total of $48.82), I have more incentive to quit, but the principle of raising the cost prior to the effective dater bothers me as a general principle. :eyebrow:

"Cigarette tax increased from $1 to $2 a pack effective January 1, 2008."
Maryland Chamber Blog: November 2007 Archives

Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
It's called theivery.

They'll only be responsible for paying MD from 1 Jan. so all the money they collect from BSing people on the days prior goes into Sheetz pocket.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
I went to Sheetz at the corner of Rt. 235 & Chancellors Run at 5:20 pm on 31 Dec 2007 to buy some smokes remembering that the $2.00 per pack tax increase was due to take effect on 1 Jan 08.

Now that a carton of ciggerettes cost close to $50.00 (exact cost was: $46.49 plus $2.33 tax for a total of $48.82), I have more incentive to quit, but the principle of raising the cost prior to the effective dater bothers me as a general principle. :eyebrow:

Heard some folks complain yesterday, taking it out on the vendors instead of MOM or the legislature. Fortunately, I live close enough to VA that once a week, I'll spend the $3 to go across the bridge, buy my wife and I a carton each and screw MOM. He's not getting an extra $80/month from us. Now the sales tax I can't help but pay.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
It's called theivery.

They'll only be responsible for paying MD from 1 Jan. so all the money they collect from BSing people on the days prior goes into someones pocket.

Exactly. Imagine how much extra money was made by increasing the tax one day early; I'm sure I'm not the only one who tried to get that one last carton before the effective date.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I see Va. doing A LOT MORE business in the future of cig. sales :lmao:

And though I am trying to quit (again..:lol:), it has nothing to do with the tax increase, because as said before, if the increase bothers me enough, I'll drive to Va, buy 3-4 cartons, and be good for the month, what is 3-4 gallons of gas, and 3 bucks to cross a bridge when I would be saving probably 80 bucks or more in cigs.... ya know :ohwell:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not true...

It's called theivery.

They'll only be responsible for paying MD from 1 Jan. so all the money they collect from BSing people on the days prior goes into Sheetz pocket.

...every single pack they have in inventory as of 1/1/08 is subject to the tax. That's right; a retroactive tax. At worst they are getting you for a dollar for one day. And that tax is due whether they sell the smokes or not. They only get their dollar back when you give it to them.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
From the Washington Post:

"Maryland's tobacco tax will double, from $1 to $2 a pack of cigarettes. Revenue from this tax will help expand Medicaid to provide health care to low- and middle-income residents who cannot afford insurance."

Many of Md. Tax Increases Will Go Into Effect Today - washingtonpost.com

:lmao: Ya know, if you were gonna raise the tax, and give it to schools, or hell, even tell me use it to fund research on something, I would have not a single problem with it... but using it to pay someones health insurance who doesn't want to get off their ass and work a little more, is a tad unacceptable to me. So IF, I break this time, and start smoking again, I will buy every pack from Va., just knowing this now. Why do we always seem to use so much money for things that the people accepting it can change on their own if they wanted to. :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Revenue from this tax will help expand Medicaid to provide health care to low- and middle-income residents who cannot afford insurance.
Sure it will. :rolleyes:

I'll bet that 2 years from now, they'll still be puling about uninsured poor people and deciding what to raise taxes on next.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
MOM told us what would happen if elected. Folks elected him. We get what we sow. But he's getting as little of my money as possible, legally.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Maybe I should stop working so I get handed everything :shrug:

Just another tax to keep on raping me. Time to move far far away from MD

goodolgirl

I'm with you on that!! What's the point on working hard, I'm tired of paying someones elses bills

BernieP

Resident PIA
It's called theivery.

not if the State of MD catches them. If they are collecting money from you (or anyone) for a tax then they had better hand it over to the state. Long time ago a little coffee shop in the state capital was rounding (illegally) the sales tax up by a penny. No big deal to the individual, but by the end of the year, those pennies amounted to a nice pot of money that they tried to pocket. Unfortunately for them, somebody dropped a dime on the shop and the state audited their books. Instead of their little bonus they recieved a nice fine and were the example of how not to rip off the public in the name of the state (the state will do that for itself).

Midnightrider

Now that a carton of cigerettes cost close to $50.00 (exact cost was: $46.49 plus $2.33 tax for a total of $48.82), I have more incentive to quit, but the principle of raising the cost prior to the effective dater bothers me as a general principle. :eyebrow:

"Cigarette tax increased from $1 to $2 a pack effective January 1, 2008."
Maryland Chamber Blog: November 2007 Archives

there is a very easy way to not pay this tax if you dont want to :whistle:
(oh, and its NOT going to virginia)

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

I'm with you on that!! What's the point on working hard, I'm tired of paying someones elses bills

wtf.

i'm just quoting you two because I don't want to go back and find any other posts regarding this...but...

Are you SERIOUSLY #####ing about having to pay this tax on something nobody is FORCING you to do? Is somebody holding a gun to your head and making you buy/smoke tobacco (is it a tax on tobacco or cigarettes? I'm not sure)? I'm going to take a wild guess and say "no". So either quit or stop whining about it because nobody is forcing you to smoke. I dealt with having my parents smoke my entire life...and before that...and told myself I would never start smoking cigarettes. I have no problem at all with someone else smoking if thats what they want to do. Everyone has a "low" in life, personally I wouldn't let mine be cigarettes, but thats just me. I will even pick someone else up a pack and chat with them while they smoke..like I said, no problem with it if its what you wanna do....BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, do not ##### and moan whenever you have to pay more for something you are buying on your own free will.

:lectureover:

yankee44

Whats cool is that it is only on cigs. I chew snuff and smoke the occasional cigar and they did not go up at all except fot the sales tax.