Speeding Ticket Info

CAE

Hi All,

Well, it happened for the first time in 24 years of driving - I was pulled over coming off the Bay Bridge in Annapolis and given a citation for speeding.

I've seen lots of good advice on this forum for speeding tickets and have two questions:

1) The officer made a serious error filling out the form. According to the document, I was cited for going 55mph in a 71mph zone! Is this enough of a technicality to get the thing thrown out if I let it go to court?

I'm planning on letting it go to court anyway; would rather spend a day in class than get 2 points (and a possible insurance hike).

2) I've heard conflicting information regarding the presence of the ticketing officer: Traditionally, I always figured you should go to court, since there's a good chance the accuser can't make it, at which point you're off the hook. But, (I think I may have read it here) that this doesn't apply in Maryland, and you can be prosecuted regardless... Does anyone have the lowdown on this?

Thanks for any info!

dgates80

Land of the lost
Yes, go to court. They may indeed throw it out for the mis-write, but not likely. The judge will probably give you a choice, either 1 point and pay the fine for < 70 in a 55 (71 = more than 15mph over) or the drivers ed class, 8 hours. There are fees etc. asociated with all this, not sure the amounts.

Do the class and pay the fees. This will be more than offset by the insurance savings.

smoothmarine187

If you go to court and the officer does not show, it will be thrown out. Even if the officer is there, the judge will probably give you a "probation before judgement" because you have a clean record. The only thing you will end up having to pay is the court fee.

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
U can make a donation for the first time

If you go to court and the officer does not show, it will be thrown out. Even if the officer is there, the judge will probably give you a "probation before judgement" because you have a clean record. The only thing you will end up having to pay is the court fee.

Make a donation for the first time. Then buy a VALENTINE ONE Radar detector you will never get another speeding ticket again .This purchase will allow you to speed all you want.:buddies:

smoothmarine187

Make a donation for the first time. Then buy a VALENTINE ONE Radar detector you will never get another speeding ticket again .This purchase will allow you to speed all you want.:buddies:

Radar detectors are nice, but if the cop waits to pull the trigger until you are right on top of him, the radar detector is worthless.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!

The only place I've ever seen the option for a "donation" is here in St. Marys county, and a place in North Carolina.

Most places aren't that corrupt.

Hi All,

Well, it happened for the first time in 24 years of driving - I was pulled over coming off the Bay Bridge in Annapolis and given a citation for speeding.

I've seen lots of good advice on this forum for speeding tickets and have two questions:

1) The officer made a serious error filling out the form. According to the document, I was cited for going 55mph in a 71mph zone! Is this enough of a technicality to get the thing thrown out if I let it go to court?

I'm planning on letting it go to court anyway; would rather spend a day in class than get 2 points (and a possible insurance hike).

2) I've heard conflicting information regarding the presence of the ticketing officer: Traditionally, I always figured you should go to court, since there's a good chance the accuser can't make it, at which point you're off the hook. But, (I think I may have read it here) that this doesn't apply in Maryland, and you can be prosecuted regardless... Does anyone have the lowdown on this?

Thanks for any info!

I think the judge will get a good laugh out of 55 in a 71 zone, go to court!

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
You can with this one

Radar detectors are nice, but if the cop waits to pull the trigger until you are right on top of him, the radar detector is worthless.

You can program the detector with an after market chip to pick up the police radio and his radar.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Depends on the county. In Charles, it's the officer's responsibilty to present the state's case to the judge in traffic court so if the officer is not there, the case is thrown out. In St. Mary's, the State's Attorney presents the case and the officer may or may not be needed. As far as the ticket saying, "55mph in a 71mph", that would be worth taking to court. Sometime before your court date, you'll get a summons in the mail that will state the charge. Double check that to see if the same mistake was made during data entry. If so, I think you can get it thrown out.

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
I do not encourage speeding

Good Lord, those things are bad enough at sending out false alarms, I can only imagine how much worse that would make it.

This system was design by professinal speeders in California USA and it works of the police repeaters and radar it cost 400.00 for the detector and 500 for the chip.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Of all the tickets I've gotten since living in So MD (only got one camera car ticket in DC and another one for turning without stopping to look both ways according to the liar police officer).

In St Mary's I got a ticket and took it to court and was not offered drivers ed class, was offered to pay into the fund or do community service. When I got there the cop and some clerk were there sitting at the table and no clue what happened but if you didnt have representation you go up to that table they find your case and then gave those options. That's my only time appearing in court in St Mary's so I am not sure if that's the way it goes but there was no judge and I was there for less than 5mins. Chose Comm. Svc. and went to the State's Attorney's office paid the fee and waited for my duty to be mailed to me.

In Calvert the police officer left off an important part of my address and I never got my court notice. If I had not checked the Maryland Judiciary Case website I would never have known that I was in contempt for not appearing in court. I called the District Court and I had to go pay $80 (the ticket fine) to get another court date and if found innocent I would get my money back. So, I did that went to court, cop didnt show this time and the judge OPTED not to reschedule us and so we were free to go and I got my check in the mail.

So, know that even if he does not show up the judge can reschedule. He called me up mid session then told me to go sit down, he went through everyone there and then finally at the end he called me and the others that were there because of the cop to tell us the cop couldn't show today to no fault of his own (wtfever) and that he will not reschedule us and that we are to be good little girls and boys on the road and we're free to go.

So, know that the judge will push you to the end hoping that the cop can get in there or he will reschedule you to come back or let you go free of charge. But, like someone else says, because its your first offense you will most likely get a PBJ. Not sure how the court system is in Annapolis but hopefully it does not differ much. My advice, go to court!

Otter

Nothing to see here
Take it to court, your record speaks for itself and the judge will probably just say 'see ya'

Yes - go to court... my wife got pulled over pulling a boat trailer and got a speeding ticket... the cop wrote the tag for the trailer.

She took it to court, pled not-guilty. The judge asked why and she said "I was clearly not driving a boat trailer". The judge threw it out of court - and the cop was pissed and he started to aruge the case and the judge agreed and told him while chuckling "you must pay attention! Clearly this young lady cannot drive a boat trailer without a vehicle!":lmao:

EDIT - this was in PG County about 20+ years ago...

frequentflier

happy to be living
Yes, go to court. They may indeed throw it out for the mis-write, but not likely. The judge will probably give you a choice, either 1 point and pay the fine for < 70 in a 55 (71 = more than 15mph over) or the drivers ed class, 8 hours. There are fees etc. asociated with all this, not sure the amounts.

Do the class and pay the fees. This will be more than offset by the insurance savings.

And, you would know this-HOW? :smoochy:

ImnoMensa

Definitely go to court. I got a ticket for going 65 in a 50 mile zone ,the 50 mile zone didnt exist so i got Probation without verdict, no points paid the fine. Definitely go to court. Now just for my information who nailed you? Maryland State Police or the Bridge Nazi's. I have seen the Governor Nice bridge Nazi's working as far north as Glasva. On a slow day they dont have anything better to do and go looking for flat land touristers.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Yes - go to court... my wife got pulled over pulling a boat trailer and got a speeding ticket... the cop wrote the tag for the trailer.

She took it to court, pled not-guilty. The judge asked why and she said "I was clearly not driving a boat trailer". The judge threw it out of court - and the cop was pissed and he started to aruge the case and the judge agreed and told him while chuckling "you must pay attention! Clearly this young lady cannot drive a boat trailer without a vehicle!":lmao:

EDIT - this was in PG County about 20+ years ago...
That is excellent. Good for you.