Charles Co. Fire Truck Overturns

poster

"Officials said the fire truck was responding to a call at about 10:15 a.m. when it overturned while attempting to turn."

That's two emergency vehicle overturns in two days..... yesterday's St. Leonard heavy rescue squad and now this....

Hope these guys are OK...

What was the details on St. Leonard yesterday - I passed this on Rt. 4 when they were trying to upright the truck.

I have to say that I'm not surprised this happened to St. Leonard - I live on St. Leonard Road and when they return from a call it is obvious that they are speeding - no lights or sirens. I can hear them when they leave because of the sirens of course but I can also hear them without siren on the way back well before they pass our house. When they pass there is NO WAY they could stop if a car pulled out from a hidden driveway.

Sorry I realize that this accident was during a call and they should have been traveling fast, however carefully, but I needed to vent.

Last edited:

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
Geee 2 in 2days

What was the details on St. Leonard yesterday - I passed this on Rt. 4 when they were trying to upright the truck.

I have to say that I'm not surprised this happened to St. Leonard - I live on St. Leonard Road and when they return from a call it is obvious that they are speeding - no lights or sirens. I can hear them when they leave because of the sirens of course but I can also hear them without siren on the way back well before they pass our house. When they pass there is NO WAY they could stop if a car pulled out from a hidden driveway.

Sorry I realize that this accident was during a call and they should have been traveling fast, however carefully, but I needed to vent.

They need to slow down when making turns. If they would of orderd the heavy rescue units with tandem rear ends this rollover would of have been avoided.:coffee:

They need to slow down when making turns. If they would of orderd the heavy rescue units with tandem rear ends this rollover would of have been avoided.:coffee:

Your first sentence is the key... hey, I use to drive a Fire Truck and never rolled one on its side :shrug:

I did roll a tractor at the firehouse, but that is a different story :whistle:

oldman

Lobster Land
I am a scanner listener for Charles Co. and heard this but wasn't aware it was a fire truck at the time. It was bad. These people are called upon daily to run here and there to help save lives and property. Accidents happen and most can be avoided but sometimes they just happen. I can only hope for a speedy recovery for those injured. Frankly the fire, EMS and police do jobs I wouldn't want to do and I appreciate them for all their efforts.

WVFD EMT23

Just to let you all know what was told to me from some of my members on the scene... they were responding to a call and a vehicle pulled out in front of them in front of 4140 Old Washington Road. Squad 3 avoided hitting the vehicle and fishtailed which is what made them flip over. I understand where you all are coming from as far as saying that we should slow down, but most of our accidents are not from driver error (of the responding units). I would have to say as a driver that it has A LOT to do with others on the road that don't know what to do when we come up behind the. GO TO THE RIGHT!! Don't slam on your brakes right in front of us... our vehicles don't stop on a dime.
And asking if the driver got ticketed is a little harsh... don't you think that would be the last of someone's worries when they are injured in the hospital? Bottom line is that they did avoid hitting the other vehicle and risked their own lives doing so. Not trying to be nasty... just trying to give you a different perspective.

WVFD EMT23

I am a scanner listener for Charles Co. and heard this but wasn't aware it was a fire truck at the time. It was bad. These people are called upon daily to run here and there to help save lives and property. Accidents happen and most can be avoided but sometimes they just happen. I can only hope for a speedy recovery for those injured. Frankly the fire, EMS and police do jobs I wouldn't want to do and I appreciate them for all their efforts.

Thank you soooo much for being so caring! We don't get that a lot!! :howdy:

T

Toreadoralpha

Sounds like the drivers of the vehicles that didn't move to the right, then swerved toward the fire truck were at fault if the BAYNET article is correct. If that is the case the drivers that didn't move to the right should have their driving priviledges revoked forever.

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
Weight distribution

How do tandem wheels change the COG??

Tri Axle and Tandem axle helps with weight distribution and load shifting but it takes away from the appearance and space for equipment of the engine or rescue unit .

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Thank you soooo much for being so caring! We don't get that a lot!! :howdy:

I think the articles St. Mary's Today writes are pretty sick, they now even have a comic strip to go along with all this. They may think twice when they have to call on volunteers for help for themselves or their families. That stupid web site should be shut down.

Tina2001aniT

Do you volunteer? Do you put you life at risk for others? No?? then STFU....

I promise you wouldn't be whining if they were coming to or even from a call at your house.

ImnoMensa

Anybody that is responsible for an accident and doesnt get hit is seldom sitting around waiting for a cop.

Looking at the skid marks they did some kind of avoidance... that is too bad.

Those things have a lot of weight to control and stop. Once you get in a bad situation all you can do is hold on and hope it straightens out!

I did my fair share of Volunteer FF'ing and have my share of horror stories and my own reasons for getting out early... this incident will give the crew the shakes for sometime...