Maryland - Front License Plate?

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
I've noticed a bunch of Maryland tagged cars running around without a front license plate (or something in its place). Are we still required to have a front license plate?

Dork

Highlander's MPD
I've noticed a bunch of Maryland tagged cars running around without a front license plate (or something in its place). Are we still required to have a front license plate?

You are required to have a front plate. You will probably get responses on this forum from people telling you they never get pulled over for it and some that will say they get pulled over and ticketed for it. I guess it depends on where you drive and what you drive.

Hessian

Ticket: 50.00

got nailed for no front plate this summer.
(bumper & plate were damaged from a collision with a tree): gave me the ticket anyway.---PG's finest JERK.

signora

I just recently had my license plates changed from PA where you only needed (1) and I was given (2) plates. On the front bumper of my car, it did not have the holes drilled to hold the MD license plate because it was not a requirement in PA where I bought my car so had drill holes in my bumper to install it.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
Thanks! I searched the net and found that the only reason (or so it says) was for law enforcement to have a target for their radar guns.:lmao: I really believe that to be true because as much as Maryland shafts us with taxes, etc. - it would be a lot cheaper for them to raise our tag fees and only give us one plate. Hey, I remember when we had to buy tags once a year and got new plates. Then we renewed every two years and got new plates. Then they moved it to every five years and we got new plates. Now, we renew and keep our old plates. See where I'm heading? Maryland keeps raising tag fees and we don't even get new plates out of it!:lmao:

Geek

got nailed for no front plate this summer.
(bumper & plate were damaged from a collision with a tree): gave me the ticket anyway.---PG's finest JERK.

Why is the cop a jerk? You are supposed to have a plate on. If you are driving your car around, it should be in full, legal working condition first.

Etred101

Very clear that you must have the front plate. The law in Maryland probably predates the use of radar. Without the front plate any police officer can pull you over for an equipment violation without any other probable cause. You can be fined but no points.
I have a historical vehicle that has no front bumper so no place to attach the plate - they probably give me a break because the car is so old but I never forget that I can be pulled over at any time.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Very clear that you must have the front plate. The law in Maryland probably predates the use of radar. Without the front plate any police officer can pull you over for an equipment violation without any other probable cause. You can be fined but no points.
I have a historical vehicle that has no front bumper so no place to attach the plate - they probably give me a break because the car is so old but I never forget that I can be pulled over at any time.

What a great excuse for probable cause! Wouldn't have a drink if you are missing a front plate in the "Free State".

:buddies:

Hessian

Why is the cop a jerk? You are supposed to have a plate on. If you are driving your car around, it should be in full, legal working condition first.

Why?
Because if he were human, he would see i was wearing my State Park uniform and say,..."hey, I see you are heading off to work,...can you try to straighten out the plate and have it on by the end of the day?"

I would have answered: "Thanks for the break officer---I'll have it on by lunchtime...have a nice day."

Instead, I now view most cops with suspicion because they are roaming around from donut shop to pizza joint looking for the easiest ticket and chuckling with the buddies about making easy money.

General Lee

Why?
Because if he were human, he would see i was wearing my State Park uniform and say,..."hey, I see you are heading off to work,...can you try to straighten out the plate and have it on by the end of the day?"

I would have answered: "Thanks for the break officer---I'll have it on by lunchtime...have a nice day."

Instead, I now view most cops with suspicion because they are roaming around from donut shop to pizza joint looking for the easiest ticket and chuckling with the buddies about making easy money.

Ahh, another one who can do no wrong....:rolleyes:

I got pulled over in my Camaro on Great Mills Road with two fully padded and suited up Pop Warner football players. "Equipment Violation, failure to display proper registration" He was in the middle of writing me up when got a call and he tossed my license to me and told me that if he saw me again without a front plate he'd get me for sixty bucks. My Camaro has had a front plate ever since.

Imo

The cops will use that as an excuse to pull over the rice burners.

Rice burner or not - you still need the front tag...

If you don't have it on don't say it's an excuse for them pulling me over :lol: - Even though it is an equipment violation...

If you don't have it on you kind of ask for it :shrug:

oldman

Lobster Land
I listen to the scanner a lot and missing front tags, temp tags or just tags in the windows draws heavy attention to you. Think the law says they have to be there AND properly affixed.

Etred101

Rice burner or not - you still need the front tag...

If you don't have it on don't say it's an excuse for them pulling me over :lol: - Even though it is an equipment violation...

If you don't have it on you kind of ask for it :shrug:

Otherwise known as the "ARREST ME" factor.

Geek

Why?

Why does he give you a break? And one ticket makes you disrespect law enforcers? And you think they make easy money? Would you come to my house in the middle of the night on a domestic call? He would.

He was doing his job. You were not doing your job as a driver :nono:

I love cops. They risk their lives for ours. They are under paid and under respected. Remember how we treated our firefighters and police officers after 9/11? They deserve that respect everyday, not just when we need them.

Last edited:
T

toppick08

Why does he give you a break? And one ticket makes you disrespect law enforcers? And you think they make easy money? Would you come to my house in the middle of the night on a domestic call? He would.

He was doing his job. You were not doing your job as a driver :nono:

I love cops. They risk thier lives for ours. They are underpaid and under respected. Remember how we treated our firefighters and police officers after 9/11? They deserve that respect everyday, not just when we need them.

:yeahthat: