Health Insurance Questions

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Anyone willing to share information or opinions about different health insurance companies?

I'm thinking of picking up Blue Cross Blue Shield.. any remarks?

I've had BC/BS for 20 years thru my company. I've never had any issues or regrets. We have a minimum deduction that has to be met before the plan will pay out, and that gets to be a pain sometimes, but overall, I'm happy with them. Had a few major surgeries and had very little out-of-pocket.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Anyone willing to share information or opinions about different health insurance companies?

What plan? There are so many. Are you getting it through your employer because benefits within the same-named plan vary depending on what the employer chooses to pay. I had Care First, a PPO, (BC/BS) and it was excellent. But the Firm I work for is tremendous as far as what they pay and what the employee's responsibility is.

charlesctygal

BC/BS is the best. I had Carefirst for several years. Never had any problems with claims or anything. The only thing you should keep in mind is what your employer is willing to pay for this. I worked for one company, where CareFirst was my provider, and I had a $1,000 deductible, because my company didnt want to pay any money, lol! But when I had it through another employer, I only had to pay a very minimum co-pay. As far as everything else, they are one of the best, many, many doctors accepts this insurance throughout the Tri-County area.

anniemay

BC/BS is good. Not all of their plans have deductables. I had the federal version and liked it. I did, however, find taht Aetna is a cheaper plan and it is pretty much the same as Blue Cross. The biggest difference is that Aetna is regional (but you can always go to an ER anywhere and you're covered) and BC/BS is more nationwide. Aetna also has more dental coverage.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
What plan? There are so many. Are you getting it through your employer because benefits within the same-named plan vary depending on what the employer chooses to pay. I had Care First, a PPO, (BC/BS) and it was excellent. But the Firm I work for is tremendous as far as what they pay and what the employee's responsibility is.

That's what we have. Never had a problem.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Excellent coverage :yay: :yay:

You have to keep in mind that the plan can be the same ..say Care First PPO..but at Company X, you have certain co-pays...certain out of pocket if you go out of network ...and the benefits can be totally different at Company Y.

beamher

:yay:

:shrug: they didn't have dental ins. persay(sp.?) it was discounted services. the only dentist on the list(in st. mary's) was dr. chang :boo: didn't care for the 2 pediatritions I tried (the shah team). my doctor is great. I had to visit the emergency room and now i'm dealing with every doctor that was on duty sending me a bill :lmao: i didn't like the idea of the ins. co. paying bills that i didn't sayed "nay" or "yea" about and now they're telling me i have to resolve it.

all that to say--i guess it's a learning process. so you may want to call the ins. co. and ask specific questions.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

The CareFirst (BC/BS) on the list has ours as a HMO..

BlueCross BlueShield is either a basic or Standard option.

Basic you have to use a PPO (Preferred Provider), Standard you can use a doctor of your choice, but if not a PPO you have more out of pocket expense.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

I have mixed feelings about them. Over the years I've ran into a few problems relating to them covering services. I've always chosen PPO plans with higher rates. Not sure if their HMO would be different.

donbarzini

BC/BS is good. Not all of their plans have deductables. I had the federal version and liked it. I did, however, find taht Aetna is a cheaper plan and it is pretty much the same as Blue Cross. The biggest difference is that Aetna is regional (but you can always go to an ER anywhere and you're covered) and BC/BS is more nationwide. Aetna also has more dental coverage.

Annie hit the nail on the head. You can go anywhere in the world and say "I have Blue Cross" and they wheel you right in. Try that with anything else and prepare for "Ummmmmm".......have a seat.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
The CareFirst (BC/BS) on the list has ours as a HMO..

BlueCross BlueShield is either a basic or Standard option.

Basic you have to use a PPO (Preferred Provider), Standard you can use a doctor of your choice, but if not a PPO you have more out of pocket expense.

We had the PPO but we had the option to upgrade for $10 a month over the Standard PPO and we didn't have to obtain referrals which was wonderful. We also had a dental plan within that and that okay coverage but we supplemented with Delta Dental. The health coverage through my firm was $160 a month for family...of course, my firm payed a healthy chunk for the rest.

Now we have Unicare. It's okay, I don't like it as well but it works. Price is still excellent ($170/month) and the benefits are very good..but then you really have to examine what YOUR COMPANY's specific benefits package is within the plan.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I have mixed feelings about them. Over the years I've ran into a few problems relating to them covering services. I've always chosen PPO plans with higher rates. Not sure if their HMO would be different.

I don't like HMOs. I want to pick my doctors and I don't mind paying for that.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I don't like HMOs. I want to pick my doctors and I don't mind paying for that.
I've had both PPO and HMO plans. While I like the freedom of a PPO plan, I've gotten better service with HMO plans. I've never had to deal with denied claims or crappy customer service. It has always been my PPO plans that have been horrible.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I've been pleased with my current coverage (a watered-down BC/BS version), but since we got married we are investigating keeping things status quo, or combining our needs and going with one provider.

Thanks for the comments, folk. Keep 'em coming!

punjabigyrl

Care first BC/BS has been great. I just swithed to the health savings account with care first. I am self employed and i have been extremly pleased with them.

Cowgirl

I have the BC/BS HMO plan. I've never had a problem with it. I had several doctors to choose from, but I was able to stay with the one I was seeing before I had insurance. Most UrgenCare facilities also accept it with no problem. :yay: