Utility Trailer Insurance?

Our Boy Scout Troop is looking to purchase an enclosed utility trailer to haul and store gear.

People towing the trailers regular car insurance will cover the trailer and contents in transit, but coverage is different based on each persons policy - we know this... we all need to check our policies before doing so!

What we are looking for is insurance for the trailer and contents when the trailer is not being used.

Tried Progressive were I have my Travel Trailer through but they do not insure utility trailers... anyone have information, like an agent, prices, coverage information? Also, can the policy be created so anyone towing it will automatically be at a certain level regardless of their personal policy?

TIA :howdy:

onebdzee

off the shelf
Our Boy Scout Troop is looking to purchase an enclosed utility trailer to haul and store gear.

People towing the trailers regular car insurance will cover the trailer and contents in transit, but coverage is different based on each persons policy - we know this... we all need to check our policies before doing so!

What we are looking for is insurance for the trailer and contents when the trailer is not being used.

Tried Progressive were I have my Travel Trailer through but they do not insure utility trailers... anyone have information, like an agent, prices, coverage information? Also, can the policy be created so anyone towing it will automatically be at a certain level regardless of their personal policy?

You ask the people that you are purchasing the trailer from if they know?

If not, you might want to call Allstate.....the insurance I have thru Allstate on my truck covers a trailer and the contents

Robin

I have my 2 trailers insured through Nationwide. I have a horse trailer that I store my show saddles and equipment in and some appliances for overnight and weekend travel. I believe it is called personal property Insurance. same with my camper personal property incase of a break in to cover the cost of replacement. Most insurance companies can cover this for you. Make sure you have a written inventory of items in the trailer and cost put out and replacement. I believe one is based at 5000. for 33.40 per 6 mon on my camper and 5000. horse trailer is 36.20 per 6 months but this is also based with multiple vehicals and home owners, and business all through the same company. this should give you some pricing

Robin

I have my 2 trailers insured through Nationwide. I have a horse trailer that I store my show saddles and equipment in and some appliances for overnight and weekend travel. I believe it is called personal property Insurance. same with my camper personal property incase of a break in to cover the cost of replacement. Most insurance companies can cover this for you. Make sure you have a written inventory of items in the trailer and cost put out and replacement. I believe one is based at 5000. for 33.40 per 6 mon on my camper and 5000. horse trailer is 36.20 per 6 months but this is also based with multiple vehicals and home owners, and business all through the same company. this should give you some pricing

Nationwide Ins...agent Frank Goldbach...301-862-3991

While my trailer is being towed, the trailer and contents are covered by my auto policy, and I thought that applied to whomever towed it; the tower's policy covered the trailer and contents. Maybe it varies agent to agent... While the trailer is in the driveway, my homeowners policy covers it and the contents.

Nationwide Ins...agent Frank Goldbach...301-862-3991

Thanks! :howdy:

While my trailer is being towed, the trailer and contents are covered by my auto policy, and I thought that applied to whomever towed it; the tower's policy covered the trailer and contents. Maybe it varies agent to agent... While the trailer is in the driveway, my homeowners policy covers it and the contents.

That is how my utility trailer works, but since the Boy Scout Troop will own the trailer it will be covered by whoever drives the trailer...

The Charter Organization (sponsor) insurance would have to cover while it sat at their facility, but we do not want to rely on that or incur a cost to them as we do have our own operating budget.

Soooooo that leads us into finding our own policy for the trailer and contents while it is not being towed. What would be cool is to find a policy that boosted personal policy limits for drivers towing it as well; but I cannot see how that would work but it is worth asking.

I think from a Boy Scout Troop perspective we would have to ensure whoever tows has a certain "limit" on their private policy.

Robin

I found out that while living at a RV park it was not covered and had things explained differently to me. I had to have different coverage. Make sure you have a inventory list of what you have in the trailer. although here on the property, it covers so much with the added insurance it fully covers the contents of both my trailers. Some homeowners only covers a percentage.
I travel and part my trailers and detach from the truck while away.

Robin

That is how my utility trailer works, but since the Boy Scout Troop will own the trailer it will be covered by whoever drives the trailer...

The Charter Organization (sponsor) insurance would have to cover while it sat at their facility, but we do not want to rely on that or incur a cost to them as we do have our own operating budget.

Soooooo that leads us into finding our own policy for the trailer and contents while it is not being towed. What would be cool is to find a policy that boosted personal policy limits for drivers towing it as well; but I cannot see how that would work but it is worth asking.

I think from a Boy Scout Troop perspective we would have to ensure whoever tows has a certain "limit" on their private policy.

One good thing is I can have someone else tow it. It has its own policy, it is covered

Robin

both my trailers have their own collision and comprehensive insurance that is also in the prices I gave you along with 5000. personal property per trailer

Robin

I have also added uninsured motorists into my policy for 78.00 per 6 mons to cover some one with out insurance coverage

I found out that while living at a RV park it was not covered and had things explained differently to me. I had to have different coverage. Make sure you have a inventory list of what you have in the trailer. although here on the property, it covers so much with the added insurance it fully covers the contents of both my trailers. Some homeowners only covers a percentage.
I travel and part my trailers and detach from the truck while away.

That is something we were just discussing - we need to have an inventory list with us when we have it packed, not only so we know whats in there - but have a list of items incase of loss.

Thanks Robin!!! I knew you horsey types would know!!!

:buddies:

Robin

That is something we were just discussing - we need to have an inventory list with us when we have it packed, not only so we know whats in there - but have a list of items incase of loss.

your welcome! hope this helps

And I'm sure you're not the first scout troop to go thru this, there has to be a precedence for this and I'd bet there is a special policy just for orgs like yours. Talk to a few different agents.

And I'm sure you're not the first scout troop to go thru this, there has to be a precedence for this and I'd bet there is a special policy just for orgs like yours. Talk to a few different agents.

Our Head Scout Master is at a meeting tonight with the district... he is going to talk with other Troops and see what they do.

I have already gotten a good list of ideas; especially the inventory list. :yay:

Our Head Scout Master is at a meeting tonight with the district... he is going to talk with other Troops and see what they do.

I have already gotten a good list of ideas; especially the inventory list. :yay:

:lmao: Actually, having been in scouts and having been a leader, the inventory will not only be good for insurance, but keep a check on things that tend to walk.... sign in and sign out....

:lmao: Actually, having been in scouts and having been a leader, the inventory will not only be good for insurance, but keep a check on things that tend to walk.... sign in and sign out....

More work for the Quartermaster - man, they are going to REALLY hate me! :killingme

mattvivslivesou

www.meerkatsound.com
I am with Nationwide (Bob Hall)... I have a 5x8 enclosed trail so I can move my gear from one place to the next.

The way it was explained to me is that when the trailer is attached and you’re involved in an accident, just the trailer is covered. The contents inside are not covered.
If the trailer is sitting at home the trailer is insured under your Home Owner’s Insurance.

I am currently working on getting insurance for my trailer (storage and hitched) and when I am at shows. I am looking at spending about $1200-1800 a year for coverage; this includes theft/vandalism & liability.

bcp

In My Opinion
mine are insured through nationwide, and I think (not positive) that homeowners will cover them if they get damaged while sitting on the property.
any time they are connected to a vehicle, the vehicles insurance covers them.

Robin

mine are insured through nationwide, and I think (not positive) that homeowners will cover them if they get damaged while sitting on the property.
any time they are connected to a vehicle, the vehicles insurance covers them.

Most of the time it is covered when parked at your property under you homeowners policy , when it is hitched to your vehicle, not the contents inside. when you un hitch and park elsewhere at a show or event, when they dont allowed the vehicle to stay with the trailer is when you need the extra insurance. I feel better knowing I have all the bases covered as it is expensive to replace merchandise in the trailer for the one instance it may be elsewhere and un-covered. You can cover for any amount of personal property but need an inventory pricing that will cover the amount in the trailer at the time of loss. Whether it be accident, theft or fire, etc.