School exams

robbie

Here we go again. Son was up all hours studying for Calc. test and now is tired for it. Also very anxious because it is 4 problems.
No wonder these kids are a bundle of nerves.
With 4 prob. you either ace it, fail it, or miss one and get a C.
No room for a B or to even pass with a D.
Ive seen this with my grade schooler also a lot more this year. On one test he got the sign wrong but the numbers were right but it was still wrong so he automatically got a C. I can see why they just give up.:boxing:

AndyMarquisLIVE

Here we go again. Son was up all hours studying for Calc. test and now is tired for it. Also very anxious because it is 4 problems.
Ive seen this with my grade schooler also a lot more this year. On one test he got the sign wrong but the numbers were right but it was still wrong so he automatically got a C. I can see why they just give up.:boxing:
Maryland's assessments suck. :boo:

Everyone criticizes NCLB, but it's actually the State's fault there's so much testing. I think there were like 4 MSA's in my sophmore year. :boo: That's 4 weeks that they could've spent teaching the chit (not to mention federal and county assessments and finals and other tests).

nobody really

I need a nap

Welcome to reality. Learn to deal with stress. hell i wish all i had to worry about were 4 problems on a calc test.

Cowgirl

Did he stay up all night because he didn't study earlier and had to cram? I used to do that all the time. The teacher is probably going to give partial credit for work shown, even if the answer is wrong.

Cowgirl

Maryland's assessments suck. :boo:

Everyone criticizes NCLB, but it's actually the State's fault there's so much testing. I think there were like 4 MSA's in my sophmore year. :boo: That's 4 weeks that they could've spent teaching the chit (not to mention federal and county assessments and finals and other tests).

This sounds to me like it's just a test in 1 class, not an assessment test.

Did he stay up all night because he didn't study earlier and had to cram? I used to do that all the time. The teacher is probably going to give partial credit for work shown, even if the answer is wrong.

Normally that is what they do - if you can show your work (all of it), but you have an equation or computation error they usually only knock off points for each mistake on a problem (like 2 points here, 2 points there)...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
In calc you can't do more than 2 or 3 problems on a final.. four seems a little ridiculous to me.

I took a calc final (Calc II) that took over 6 hours to complete...

Gwydion

In calc you can't do more than 2 or 3 problems on a final.. four seems a little ridiculous to me.

Exactly. And I am sure that each question is broken down to multiple parts.

Cowgirl

I remember having more than 4 problems on my calc final. :shrug:

punjabigyrl

tough break..... I think american kids need to be challeged more. No wonder people from other countries come in and take all the medical, law, engineering and computer jobs. He's taking calc which is good for him/her. I found the more I studied for that the more confused I got, I managed to get 79 and begged for the teacher to change it to a B....she did after making me stress about it.

robbie

This is just an exam. As for assessments, my daughters elem. school sent home a flyer wanting to see who wanted to come to Sat. school for this.
This is all the time with 4 or so questions. So far if theres a mistake, its wrong. He even has stayed after for her help, (I do love the teacher) but the tests should have more prob. What about have one on Mon. and continue a couple days later. The whole goal is to have them understand it.
I saw in the paper where some schools in the area got top mentions. How many kids are actually passing the AP and honors class and how many are barely getting by. They press them the next year to take more. Seems like a numbers game.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I remember having more than 4 problems on my calc final. :shrug:

You took the EASY calculus.. i think that's called renal calculus.. it's a real pain, but in the end not very difficult to pass.

Last edited:

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady

As long as you show ALL of your work, math teachers are fairly good about partial credit. If they see that you have the right idea for part or most of the question(s), then you'll get credit. But then again, some teachers are A-holes.

Cowgirl

You took the EASY calculus.. i think that's called renal calculus.. it's a real pain, but in the end not very difficult to get through.

I have never heard it called renal calculus. :shrug: It was Calculus "I" at the University of MD. :shrug:

I assumed this was a high school student, so I don't see how it would be harder than college calc. :shrug:

charlesctygal

I believe that if your son has stayed after, and asked for help, and showed the teacher he has tried to understand the subject, and if on the exam, it at least looks like he know what he is doing, he probably will get partial credit for showing work, even if hte final answer is wrong. I learned, not until college, that staying after and asking for help is a very cool thing to do when you are a student. It shows the teacher you are willing to learn. Unfortunately, when in middle and high school, I never wanted to ask for help, because I thought it was not hte cool thing to do.

robbie

Thats what I told him. He could have had a B by less than a percentage point but she would not give it to him. I told him if they think you're sitting there without a care and could give a @@@$$@# don't expect a little leiniency. Also, he's quiet and she can have more of a chance to see this and maybe communicate with him.
Getting him to do it has taken half a year because as you say its not cool.
Thanks everyone, just blowin off steam