NEX Patrons...

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

Federal property, they're not affected by state laws thats why if you buy something and it say's a dollar, you pay a dollar because their is no state sales tax...:yahoo:

But, I did hear they raised the prices of cigarettes regardless, they are still slightly cheaper than off base but the exchange/MWR will make the revenues...

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
Federal property, they're not affected by state laws thats why if you buy something and it say's a dollar, you pay a dollar because their is no state sales tax...:yahoo:

But, I did hear they raised the prices of cigarettes regardless, they are still slightly cheaper than off base but the exchange/MWR will make the revenues...

Actually I believe when it comes to cigarettes, booze and gas it changed several years ago. Gas for example is priced to be within 5% of the average price in that region. So technically you don't pay taxes but you don't get a true pre-tax price for the gas. IE: Gas in town is $3 a gallon including 25 cent state tax. Gas on base should be $2.75 but it isn't the cheapest it can be is $2.85Smokes I believe are the same way.

they did this to 1. Reduce the black market traffic of gas, booze and smokes and 2. to reduce the price pressure on the local economy.

BravoFarp

Certified P.I.A.
If you are not military, but work on base, can you buy cigs there?

No. You will be checked for Military I.D. Just have someone else get them for you. Besides, they really aren't that much cheaper. WaWa used to beat them when it came to price.

Pete

Repete
Pricing Discrepancies
Although AAFES facilities do not charge taxes on products (which includes excise taxes), the prices for alcohol and tobacco products are only marginally cheaper than retail stores that charge taxes. The lowest price for which tobacco and alcohol can be sold is limited by DoD directive. For tobacco products sold in CONUS, the price floor is 5% less than the most competitive local price in the local community; for OCONUS, tobacco prices fall within the range of the CONUS market. Alcohol sold in CONUS will be sold not less than 10% below the best price in Alcohol Beverage Control states, and not less than 5% below the competitive rate at non Alcohol Beverage Control states. According to AAFES, these limits are set by the Department of Defense, per DoD Instruction 1330.9. According to the DoD, the purpose of this is to comply with the deglamorization of alcohol and tobacco policy.[3]

AAFES has received a great deal of criticism due to their fuel pricing practices. Many people mistakenly believe that AAFES is immune to fuel taxes, but the Hayden Cartwright Act does require AAFES to pay these taxes. Fuel sold to military personnel on military installations is often sold at nearly the same rate as that found at nearby civilian locations, with it becoming increasingly common to find stations in surrounding communities selling fuel for several cents less per gallon. According to AAFES, gasoline prices are only marginally cheaper because the individual stores are required to be "competitive" with off-post locales.[4]

I was right on the smokes and booze, wrong on gas. You do pay state taxes on gas.

Last edited: