SoMD trivia

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I'm working on my neighborhood's community newsletter. The losers here don't give me any information to put in it so I'm looking for So. MD trivia I can put in it as filler. So far, I have one item: The first woman lawyer, landowner, taxpayer and suffragist, in America was Margaret Brent and she lived in MD in the 1600's.

I'd prefer St M's trivia if possible.

SeaRide

okay, here's one ..

The first escalator in the whole St. Marys is located in the William Moffett bldg on the Pax River naval base.

That's what I was told back in '97 when I was part of the first group moving to the bldg from Crystal City, VA.

Better check it out first.

OliveOyl

Originally posted by SeaRide
okay, here's one ..

The first escalator in the whole St. Marys is located in the William Moffett bldg on the Pax River naval base.

That's what I was told back in '97 when I was part of the first group moving to the bldg from Crystal City, VA.

Better check it out first.

Speaking of the William Moffett Bldg...that building and the Hampton Inn are the two tallest buildings in St. Mary's County. They are both a whopping 5 stories tall--sky scrapers. :rolleyes:

K

Kain99

Back in the 80's St. Mary's County had more Liqour stores per capita than anyplace else in America.

Don't know if that's still the case....:biggrin:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by OliveOyl
Speaking of the William Moffett Bldg...that building and the Hampton Inn are the two tallest buildings in St. Mary's County. They are both a whopping 5 stories tall--sky scrapers. :rolleyes:
Moffet Field NAS (now closed) is in Mountain View, California.

RodRugg

This is NOT St. Mary's County but this is Charles County. I went down to Cobb Island so this man could teach me how to fight wild dogs with a broken bottle and I saw this sign there. It said that that island was the place where the world's first wireless radio transmission of the human voice was made. It was done by this man on December 23, 1900, and his name was Reginald Aubrey Fessenden.

Dymphna

Originally posted by Kain99
Back in the 80's St. Mary's County had more Liqour stores per capita than anyplace else in America.

Don't know if that's still the case....:biggrin:

Where did you hear that? Any idea how to verify it?

Dymphna

Originally posted by RodRugg
This is NOT St. Mary's County but this is Charles County. I went down to Cobb Island so this man could teach me how to fight wild dogs with a broken bottle and I saw this sign there. It said that that island was the place where the world's first wireless radio transmission of the human voice was made. It was done by this man on December 23, 1900, and his name was Reginald Aubrey Fessenden.

Thanks, I actually found a website to verify this. (the part about the radio transmission that is)

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cmcdanal
Thanks, I actually found a website to verify this. (the part about the radio transmission that is)
You had to check it out? :confused:

He's the local Socrates. Treat every word from Rodd as Gospel!

Dymphna

Originally posted by Kyle
You had to check it out? :confused:

He's the local Socrates. Treat every word from Rodd as Gospel!

I believed him or I wouldn't have checked. I checked them all out.

Originally posted by cmcdanal
I'm working on my neighborhood's community newsletter. The losers here don't give me any information to put in it
HEY!! I gave you a whopping 3 sentences worth of notes from the meeting, isn't that enough to get 2 or 3 pages worth of newsletter out of? :razz2:

RodRugg

It is also true that I went down there to learn how to fight wild dogs with a broken bottle. There's this man down there and he teaches any type of move for $5 each. He taught my uncle how to defend himself against BBs and how to do a flying dropkick off the back of a couch. He didn't have no dogs so he made me attack some wheelbarrows like they was dogs. I think I know what to do now if they was dogs. Anyways, you can verify this at St. Mary's Hospital because I nearly cut my left hand off.