Buying first handgun

LOL

What is a good gun?

Where in Southern MD can I buy one?

General shooting, not for sport shooting or hunting.

Novus Collectus

What is a good gun?

What experience do you have with guns and handguns?
Are you a big person?
Do you like a BIG boom and a lot of power, or do you just want something to knock soda cans off a fence post with?
Do you want to shoot cheaply?
How much are you willing to spend on the handgun itself?

Last edited:

LOL

What experience do you have with guns and handguns?
Are you a big person?
Do you like a BIG boom and a lot of power, or do you just want something to knock soda cans off a fence post with?
Do you want to shoot cheaply?
How much are you willing to spend on the handgun itself?

No experience, I plan on taking a safety course.
I am big enough, 6' 180 lbs.
Something in between, I don't need something with A LOT of power, but I want something decent.
I was considering around $1500.00

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Something in between, I don't need something with A LOT of power, but I want something decent.

I like a .45 and H&K is nice. A good amount of power but nothing crazy, just fun to shoot.

If you are going to recreation shoot and just have "fun" and want a semi-automatic- look at a either a .22 cal or 9mm; the ammo is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP! You can shoot it all day long and it will not break the bank.

A revolver - I really like the .357 Magnum - you can shoot CHEAP .38 special rounds and if you want the BOOM - load some .357 Magnums :yay: - I have one that was passed down by my father (S&W Patrolman's Special - bought in the 50's - awesome revolver).

If you are looking for something to recreation shoot and double as some type of home defense, then I would (personally) go .40cal or .45 and H&K like Bustem' says...

I personally own the Beretta 92F in the 9mm flavor - a really nice shooting gun, it feels big in your hands... Once I narrowed it down to the caliber I went and picked up every model made and settled on the Beretta because it FELT right.

Home defense - IF I ever had to defend myself I would bypass the handgun and go with the 12 gauge...

I am sure other will weight in on this...

Place to go locally - I would go to Fred's Sporting Goods in Waldorf Maryland to handle and touch to get an idea... once you narrow down what you want specifically then I would get on the internet and start looking at dealers in Maryland and get quotes over the phone to see if you can save a buck or two...

There is a place in Glenn Burnie called "On Target" and another one my co-workers deal with that have a great selection and the staff is very helpful. I can get more information and post it if you like.

Good Luck!

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
What is a good gun?

Where in Southern MD can I buy one?

General shooting, not for sport shooting or hunting.

People will reccomend their favorite gun in general, you should go and handle as many as possible before you decide what to buy.

I have Sigs and Springfields, that is what I like though.

As long as you stick with the reputable brands and it feels good in your hand then you can't go wrong.

For a first handgun, I would personally reccomend something in 9mm.

Here is why: It is available everywhere
It is still relatively inexpensive to shoot.
It has enough power to be used as a HD or personal defense gun.
It's recoil is relatively mild
Tons of different 9mm loads are available.
Every manufacture makes a model in 9mm.

Novus Collectus

If you are willing to spend $1500.00, then just about all common handguns are within your price range. That also means whatever caliber you choose you can afford to shoot boatloads of.
If you are just having fun with the gun and a medium power is fine, then 9mm will do the job, but so will .45 ACP. .45 ACP in a 1911A1 or 1911 type of gun is not bad as far as recoil.
Personally I like the bigger calibers like .45 for target practice and plinking because it leaves a bigger hole in the paper that is much easier to see down range and if you ever shoot bowling pins they have better knock down power than the 9mm.
Also, if you went the 1911A1 route and you like shooting so much you want to expand your range, then there are so many things you can add or change on a 1911 that for some people it gets addictive (adding scopes, compensators, longer barrels, bull barrels, grip lasers, 9mm or .38 super or .22 LR slide conversions...etc).

But if you have $1500 to spend, then the HK may be a good idea because you can buy one and still have $600 left over for ammo (which is about 3,000 rounds of 9mm).

Personally I would take that $1500 and buy a bunch of pistols and revolvers that I want, but I collect guns though and you just the deluxe model for fun.

People will reccomend their favorite gun in general, you should go and handle as many as possible before you decide what to buy.

I have Sigs and Springfields, that is what I like though.

As long as you stick with the reputable brands and it feels good in your hand then you can't go wrong.

For a first handgun, I would personally reccomend something in 9mm.

Here is why: It is available everywhere
It is still relatively inexpensive to shoot.
It has enough power to be used as a HD or personal defense gun.
It's recoil is relatively mild
Tons of different 9mm loads are available.
Every manufacture makes a model in 9mm.

I whole heartedly agree - that is why I recommended 9mm.

I just had a thought as well, some indoor ranges will let you rent a handgun to try it out at their range :yay:

Novus Collectus

I whole heartedly agree - that is why I recommended 9mm.

I just had a thought as well, some indoor ranges will let you rent a handgun to try it out at their range :yay:
MD Small Armds in Forestville and On Target in the Severn area (as well as some others in MD and VA) rent handguns to use on their ranges.
I think they charge a minimal fee, but you have to rent a lane and use their ammo when you fire their guns. Their ammo prices are much higher than anywhere else (it's a gun range after all and that is customary because they have to pay their rent too), but the gun rental is cool because for the same rental fee you can bring back one and ask for another one to fire. You can buy a box of 9mm and try out all their 9mm handguns for the same price.

(by the way, On Target charges for lane use by the half hour IIRC and MD Small arms charges by the day. If you are going to shoot for more than an hour then MD Small arms is much cheaper, but On Target has a much better lit and ventilated range.)

R

RadioPatrol

Personally I'd start off with a .22 Revolver - Single Six or Auto - Ruger Mark II? is a great plinker ..... get good / used to shooting then move up to something bigger ..... I lean to the 1911A1, but I carried one in the Army way back when .... I have shot 92F, S&W .357, .44 Mag in a S&W M29, 629, and Blackhawk ? - single action -

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If the weapon...

...is going to also be for your personal, family and home protection, in other words you plan on using it in an emergency, like any piece of emergency gear, the simpler the better. You state you are inexperienced. That leads me to say a revolver is your best bet. They are the simplest to operate, the least moving parts for the shooter to deal with and thus will likely be your best bet in a stressful situation.

The next question is; are you mechanically inclined?

Are you a person who knows where the jack is in your car? Know how to change a flat? In other words, do you figure out how things work readily and are you person who practices things to get better, take wells to new hobbies instead of an infactuation you'll get bored of in a few months?

If so, that opens up pretty much everything out there. There is a saying that goes; the only thing louder than a click when it is supposed to go bang is a bang when it is supposed to go click. THIS MEANS you must take this seriously. If you don't learn what you are doing, you many not be able to kill someone trying to kill you or, much worse, you may kill someone you don't mean to. THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF.

As has been said, you gotta go get your hands on some weapons, talk to the gun store people, get a feel for what you like.

Get training and learn to use your weapon. Once you get involved, you'll get plenty of recommendations and advice as to type of weapon and training.

If you simply just want a recommendation as to what to go get and aren't interested in a whole bunch of comments and opinions and rigmarole about types and training and use and emergencies and cool slogans and don't wanna be preached to as to how serious this and all that ya da ya da ya, I say;

Get nothing.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I would agree with everyone on here about one thing: take a firearms course first. Sometimes they will let you try out different models. Starting out though it's hard to separate the bang from the buck. That said, have fun and be safe.
I Love my .22 Ruger MK II for all around plinking and my 9mm for more serious work or home defence. However the real home defence weapon is a good 12 gauge pump, just the slide going home has made a few people wake up and get out of my way.
Get training first, then a good trigger lock, or whatever you need to secure the weapon.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Just got my safe yesterday:yahoo:

Now I keep my .45 under the pillow, 1 shotgun leaning against the bed and another shotgun midway to the safe from my room :yay:

I like my .45. Never really shot any handguns until I got it. It takes a lot of getting used too. I kept hitting low all the time. Starting to get better with more practice. Now I put a new barrel and bushing on it. Old bushing was cracked so I can't wait to see if it shoots better now.

I like the 1911's so many parts and pieces out there.

I think I am getting another .45 soon, then going for the DE .50, then the S&W 500 :yay:

Vince

Now I keep my .45 under the pillow, 1 shotgun leaning against the bed and another shotgun midway to the safe from my room :yay:
You must live in a fun neighborhood. :lol:

Home defense weapon

.44 Henry rifle - 13 rounds.

Attachments

• 1860-henry-rifle-blue-24.jpg
    1860-henry-rifle-blue-24.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
You must live in a fun neighborhood. :lol:

Home defense weapon

.44 Henry rifle - 13 rounds.

Actually I live in the middle of a field down in nowhere:lmao: I am used to being surrounded by trees and woods. Now in an open field situation I have to change my plans around.

I like the lever action, I almost picked one up a while back. So many toys to buy.

luvscats

if I live in Pr Fred where would I go to take a safety course? does this course teach Maryland specific gun laws?

Novus Collectus

if I live in Pr Fred where would I go to take a safety course? does this course teach Maryland specific gun laws?

Most MD gun laws can be found here: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/26thedition/index.htm
Note: it does not list the MD hunting laws which includes having all guns unloaded that are on or in a motor vehicle with a few exceptions.
If you have any questions about MD law then go ahead and ask. I am NOT a lawyer, but I have read the MD gun laws back and forth.

A MD gun dealer will know most of the laws, but they are not experts and there is a lot of misinformation out there. It is better to not take their word as the last one and it is a good idea to double check for yourself. Sometimes they cite how the law used to be, but laws and court precedents in MD can change from year to year.

I do not know about Calvert county, but if you are willing to go for a drive to Severn in Anne Arundel county then On Target I beleive has a basic gun safety instruction course. http://www.ontargetdot.com/

When you buy your first handgun in MD, you have to either prove you do not have to take a safety course (already took the hunter safety course, ex military or police officer), or you have to take the course and get a card so that you can show it for your next purchase and avoid going through it again.
The MD safety course is a video and now can be taken on line (you print out the card or something or like that after you saw the video). You can see the video (take the course) and get instructions for the card here http://mdgunsafety.com/
Even if you do not plan on owning a gun, it is good to watch just in case someone takes you shooting someday.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I like my .45. Never really shot any handguns until I got it. It takes a lot of getting used too. I kept hitting low all the time. Starting to get better with more practice. Now I put a new barrel and bushing on it. Old bushing was cracked so I can't wait to see if it shoots better now.

I like the 1911's so many parts and pieces out there.

I think I am getting another .45 soon, then going for the DE .50, then the S&W 500 :yay:

I love my .45, and never liked the feel of the 9mm..

The S&W 645 fits my hand REAL well, and with a little bit of work has turned into a REALLY nice pistol..