Mold in rental home

wineo

loving life
Have any of you ever had problems with mold growing on windows inside of your home? Renting a home that is showing signs of mold on windows and on ceiling in one bedroom. What did landlord do to correct this problem for you?:duel:

Just looking for info, not sure where to start to pursue getting this taken care of. Informed landlord of problem and was told the people who rented for 5 years before us never had a problem:whistle:. Windows weep of moisture and you can see some light brown stains that have run down the walls in certain areas.

Looking for some advice:popcorn:

sockgirl77

Have any of you ever had problems with mold growing on windows inside of your home? Renting a home that is showing signs of mold on windows and on ceiling in one bedroom. What did landlord do to correct this problem for you?:duel:

Just looking for info, not sure where to start to pursue getting this taken care of. Informed landlord of problem and was told the people who rented for 5 years before us never had a problem:whistle:. Windows weep of moisture and you can see some light brown stains that have run down the walls in certain areas.

The landlord is required to investigate an mold complaint. If he does not comply, call the health department. They will send someone over to test it. It is not safe to live in a home with mold. You can actually breech your lease if he does not fix the mold problem. But, just a forewarning, most local landlords just bleach the area which is only a temporary fix.

jenbengen

Watch it

Who cares what the people before you did or didn't have. So if your roof was leaking, you couldn't get it fixed because the people before you didn't have that problem? That is lame.

Sounds like the house is receiving moisture from somewhere that is creating the mold. I can't imagine how you would create that much moisture. You did the right thing by reporting it. Now document when you have conversations and keep on them if it is a problem. I'm about to rent out my home and I would have somebody over there right away to resolve the problem.

wineo

loving life
Who cares what the people before you did or didn't have. So if your roof was leaking, you couldn't get it fixed because the people before you didn't have that problem? That is lame.

Sounds like the house is receiving moisture from somewhere that is creating the mold. I can't imagine how you would create that much moisture. You did the right thing by reporting it. Now document when you have conversations and keep on them if it is a problem. I'm about to rent out my home and I would have somebody over there right away to resolve the problem.

Landlord brought over 2 dehumidifiers, plugged them in last night and both are half full of water already. 1 in kitchen/living rm. area and 1 in master bedroom. Suppose to have a window company come out sometime this week and look at the windows. We told them when we first moved in that 2 of the windows need replacing (you could see the fog in between them) and they just kinda said we know. Never thought it would turn into what we have now. Put plastic up to keep the heat in and moisture out, put plastic on outside and now I am "White Trailer Trash":lmao:LL informed me of kits for windows inside and we told her that would not solve the problem. Sent mold testing kit away should have results by end of week.

The Health Dept. does not inspect this problem, was told to call the county gov't Land Use and Growth Management, they handle this.

What do we do next? Who pays for the extra electric these two dehumidifiers are using? Who pays me for the extra cleaning of the mold around the windows I have to bleach each week? Looking for something else, need to get the hell out of this house. Dog has been itching under her chin since we moved in and my allergies have gotten worse. Runny nose all the time.

Anyother suggestions?

multitaskerJuls

I would give the landlord at most 30 days to correct the problem. From what I have heard and seen on the television, mold can make a person very ill. Short term and long term. I rented a house from a man last year and there was many things wrong with it. I called Land Use and Growth Management which is located in Leonardtown and told them some of the problems that I was having with the house that I was renting and the landlords personality issues kept him from fixing problems. Well, the county official came out and found more than what I reported to them wrong with the house and gave the landlord I think 30 days to complete all repairs or he would be fined. I would put a call into the landlord again and tell him/her that you pay your rent on time for the house that you rent from him/her and you would only hope that they would take care of any and all problems promptly that arise with their property and if they do not get out there in a timely manner then call Land Use and Growth Management and tell them your story and that you are a renter and let the COUNTY step in and put a little pressure on the landlord. They can actually come out and condem (sp) a house for mold and such things. Good luck!!

sockgirl77

Landlord brought over 2 dehumidifiers, plugged them in last night and both are half full of water already. 1 in kitchen/living rm. area and 1 in master bedroom. Suppose to have a window company come out sometime this week and look at the windows. We told them when we first moved in that 2 of the windows need replacing (you could see the fog in between them) and they just kinda said we know. Never thought it would turn into what we have now. Put plastic up to keep the heat in and moisture out, put plastic on outside and now I am "White Trailer Trash":lmao:LL informed me of kits for windows inside and we told her that would not solve the problem. Sent mold testing kit away should have results by end of week.

The Health Dept. does not inspect this problem, was told to call the county gov't Land Use and Growth Management, they handle this.

What do we do next? Who pays for the extra electric these two dehumidifiers are using? Who pays me for the extra cleaning of the mold around the windows I have to bleach each week? Looking for something else, need to get the hell out of this house. Dog has been itching under her chin since we moved in and my allergies have gotten worse. Runny nose all the time.

Anyother suggestions?

Take it to court. Or call this place. They are really helpful in all landlord/tenant matters:

Baltimore Neighborhoods, Inc.
1-800-487-6007

outlawrc

Anyother suggestions?
FYI (an email from my wife)
If you know anyone looking to rent a place sometime soon, own a trailer on a private lot (they live in a house next door) on Adkins road in Great Mills (off of route 5 South, right past GM road on right). 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, large private lot, landlord cuts the grass - for $900 a month. She said they have never charged more than $750 but they are advertising it at $900. I think she had some pretty bad/young tenants last time. Do you ever talk to the guy that just got burned out of his house? Just curious if he would be looking for another place to rent. the ad is on SOMD

wineo

loving life
If you know anyone looking to rent a place sometime soon, own a trailer on a private lot (they live in a house next door) on Adkins road in Great Mills (off of route 5 South, right past GM road on right). 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, large private lot, landlord cuts the grass - for $900 a month. She said they have never charged more than $750 but they are advertising it at $900. I think she had some pretty bad/young tenants last time. Do you ever talk to the guy that just got burned out of his house? Just curious if he would be looking for another place to rent. the ad is on SOMD

SPAM:smack: and don't highjack my thread:lmao:

Thanks, called and spoke with that homeowner on Sunday. Really didn't sound pet friendly, cause of last renters. Thanks anyway

outlawrc

SPAM:smack: and don't highjack my thread:lmao:

Thanks, called and spoke with that homeowner on Sunday. Really didn't sound pet friendly, cause of last renters. Thanks anyway

Would not have, but you asked so I put it out there. Sorry.

G

GotLot

I used to live on Adkins Road. Where is there a private lot? There are trailers on the bottom crammed in together and there are trailers on the top that have bigger lots. But, none are private.

wineo

loving life

Isn't it located on Ronnie's Way or Lane? They just replaced carpets and they want 6 month lease, could re-new if the owner dosen't decide to build? I don't want to move and then move again in 6 months if they decide to do something else with the property.

dolemite

Previous landlord told me the same thing. Your not renting a home on Rose Lane are you off of Chancellors?

Possibly the room is air-tight/too air-tight (not enough ventilation) and the humidity level is too high...

...but doubt a rental home is too air-tight, typically it is the other way around.

basher

LEET

Anyother suggestions?

hey where did you get the mold testing kit? or can you hire an inspector, and send the bill to the landlord? I also rent a house and our basement smells funky, the upstairs seems ok.

wineo

loving life
Possibly the room is air-tight/too air-tight (not enough ventilation) and the humidity level is too high...

...but doubt a rental home is too air-tight, typically it is the other way around.

No you should see the amount of moisture on the windows, but not all of them only some rooms. The amount of water that has collected in less then 24 hours is unbelieveable(sp). It blows my mind how much has collected, never knew it was that damp. No wonder there is new carpet, paint, but now everything is starting to bleed through all of that.

Waiting to hear back from the county.

Last edited:

basher

LEET
No you should see the amount of moisture on the windows, but not all of them only some rooms. The amount of water that has collected in less then 24 hours is unbelieveable(sp). I blows my mind how much has collected, never knew it was that damp. No wonder there is new carpet, paint, but now everything is starting to bleed through all of that.

Waiting to hear back from the county.

do you live near the water?

wineo

loving life
hey where did you get the mold testing kit? or can you hire an inspector, and send the bill to the landlord? I also rent a house and our basement smells funky, the upstairs seems ok.

We got ours from True Value, if the report comes back with something crazy we will get a home inspector in here. We are responsible to pay for this testing, but I'm sure in the end we will get what cost we put out back. I was told to do this test first and then let the county know the results. I'm trying to get them to come out and do an inspection for other things as well, that can not be up to code, according to the laws they post on their website.

ServiceGuy

I currently own a rental house, had a moisture problem similar to what was described. Had a house dehumidifier installed problem solved. I was told exactly what you said house is to air-tight.