Basement mold

outlawrc

Does anyone know if we can take samples to the health department to have them tested?
And the best ways to get rid of it if it is mold?:shrug:

wineo

loving life
Does anyone know if we can take samples to the health department to have them tested?
And the best ways to get rid of it if it is mold?:shrug:

Helath Dept. told me they don't do that, call Land Use and Growth Management, but they won't test it either. Told me to buy a mold testing kit and get the results and contact them. I'm waiting for results to come back. If the levels are crazy high then it is up to us(renter) to pay for the testing from a Home Inspector, my brother is one and his coming by this week, while he is in town, to give me the low down. Then I will proceed from there.

You are pretty much on your own, until you know what kind of mold. St. Mary's has a livibility code that homeowners have to stand by. I don't think mold is covered in most homeowner policies. So landlord is responsible for all repairs and cleaning. :whistle:

We are looking for a new place, this place is a slow death, even the dog is bothered.

Good luck

5857dave

I wouldn't...

Better to hire a company licensed to deal with mold problems. Chances are, you will have to hire them anyway to get rid of it. It's not real cheap. Health Dept. might bounce you out on your ear if you walk in with a sample.

Ponytail

Put on a mask, hit it with clorox and water. Let it dry. Go back and hit it with Vinegar and water, let it dry. Vinegar neutralizes the bleach.

get a dehumidifier.

I have to periodically treat my basement here in Philly if I don't keep an eye on the dehumidifier.

When I bought my house in Lusby, the upstairs bath, and roof around the waste vent were leaking. LOTS of mold inside the walls when I tore out the bathroom. Just treat it, and be done with it.

WHole house mold issues are a different story. But mold in the basement, and other areas where the source can be treated, or at least monitored, I wouldn't be overly bothered with.

Cleaning up a black mold problem

and Black Mold Education & Elimination - Black Mold Articles - Stachybotrys, Penicillium and Aspergillus. Toxic Black Mold Identification. Toxic Black Mold Removal Articles. Black Mold Test Kits. <------ that one helped me alot when I started my remodeling projects. These guys are fantastic. They have an active forum with LOTS of real Pro's to help and are also helpful on the phone. If you aren't comfortable cleaning it yourself, these guys sell test kits.

outlawrc

Put on a mask, hit it with clorox and water. Let it dry. Go back and hit it with Vinegar and water, let it dry. Vinegar neutralizes the bleach.

get a dehumidifier.

I have to periodically treat my basement here in Philly if I don't keep an eye on the dehumidifier.

When I bought my house in Lusby, the upstairs bath, and roof around the waste vent were leaking. LOTS of mold inside the walls when I tore out the bathroom. Just treat it, and be done with it.

WHole house mold issues are a different story. But mold in the basement, and other areas where the source can be treated, or at least monitored, I wouldn't be overly bothered with.

Cleaning up a black mold problem

and Black Mold Education & Elimination - Black Mold Articles - Stachybotrys, Penicillium and Aspergillus. Toxic Black Mold Identification. Toxic Black Mold Removal Articles. Black Mold Test Kits. <------ that one helped me alot when I started my remodeling projects. These guys are fantastic. They have an active forum with LOTS of real Pro's to help and are also helpful on the phone. If you aren't comfortable cleaning it yourself, these guys sell test kits.

Thank you, very helpful.:high5:

Etred101

Put on a mask, hit it with clorox and water. Let it dry. Go back and hit it with Vinegar and water, let it dry. Vinegar neutralizes the bleach....
get a dehumidifier...
Great ideas.
Mold will grow in areas of high humidity - my guess - 60-70% and above with no sun. I run my dehumidifier in the Summer. If there is another source of water (hot water heater, pipe) then correct it.
In the Winter it is so dry that the humidifer is not necessary. Now is probably a good time to clean it.
There are some spray cleansers which zap mold - a lot are bleach based. If you see a lot of black you may want to use those. Depending on the extent of the problem you could use some less pungent cleaners. Wipe down the walls. Use a carpet cleaner/shampooer. Spray the ceiling.
Worst case scenerio, paint the walls ceiling with Kilz or Zinzer.
Good luck.