Utility Bills

shmltn

We are relocating from SoCal to SoMD in March and I was wondering what people are paying for utlities in that part of the country? I know it depends on usage, but if you could let me know what your bills usually run and the size of your place, I thought I could at least formulate some idea of what to expect. Thanks. -Sherry

WPoFD

3-story, 3000 sqft townhouse on the water. I keep the temp at 68-70 deg F, run the dishwasher once a week, and do about 2-3 loads of laundry per week.

electricity: $65
water & sewage: $52

Welcome to SOMD.

M

Mousebaby

Hubby says we are alot cheaper as far as energy goes. We have a split foyer and it is about 2000 sq. ft. We average about 400.00 in the summer. Our house is 30 yrs. old and that may have something to do with the high bill. We just this past summer replaced our 30 yr. old AC unit so hopefully we will benefit from that this summer. The gas (propane)bill in the winter averages about $300.00 a month for heat alone. The electric runs 180.00 in the winter. Water and sewer is about 60.00 a month. This is also for a 5 person household. Hope this helps and Welcome! :howdy:

2ballscrewball

The 1st reply seems way low. I pay 150 a month in the spring when no ac is running and $350 a month in the winter.

Moving from SO Cal to Southern Maryland? It must be a forced move because of the military?

Vince

Hubby says we are alot cheaper as far as energy goes. We have a split foyer and it is about 2000 sq. ft. We average about 400.00 in the summer. Our house is 30 yrs. old and that may have something to do with the high bill. We just this past summer replaced our 30 yr. old AC unit so hopefully we will benefit from that this summer. The gas (propane)bill in the winter averages about $300.00 a month for heat alone. The electric runs 180.00 in the winter. Water and sewer is about 60.00 a month. This is also for a 5 person household. Hope this helps and Welcome! :howdy:
:yikes: You need a new house. :yikes:

Ladybug76

We are relocating from SoCal to SoMD in March and I was wondering what people are paying for utlities in that part of the country? I know it depends on usage, but if you could let me know what your bills usually run and the size of your place, I thought I could at least formulate some idea of what to expect. Thanks. -Sherry

We just moved from SoCal about three months ago so I didn't know what to expect either. The house we live in is about 3000 sq ft and we pay $150 for electric and $150 for gas. We run the dishwasher once a day and the washer/dryer (gas) at least once a day as well.

Hope your move goes well. We love it here!

W

Wenchy

Electric

Damn, your lucky

I'm thinking it was a pro-rated bill, or the heat/etc is gas. :popcorn:

I got my bill today. $329 for 1600 sq ft and I'll get another for the gas (guesstimate of $80..only a fireplace on gas here and I don't even use it much)

Granted, I'm on the opposite side of the bay, but my electric bills have been comparable to what you all have over there.

nicole_M

2,000 sq. ft Split foyer here....Last bill was $500. In the summer it usually runs $300. We have baseboard so Winters hurt our pockets, but we have 3 little ones and have to keep the house warm all the time. I run the dishwasher 1 time per day, go overboard on Christmas lights, and do 2 loads of laundry per day....

My mom lives in a 4000 sq. ft house and her electric bill is the same as mine.

backagain39

Mine is high...tooo high. $350.00 a month for an 1800 sq ft one level home. No one is here during the day.....I can't figure it out and that doesn't cover the cost of propane for heat.......:twitch:

That is more than my car payment and insurance payment combined......

This state is financially killing me and the only *bill* I have is a car payment and rent......the rest is all utilities.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
We live in a 2800 sq. ft. house, use oil and electric. The winter electric bill (SMECO) Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative is usually around $160.00 & oil is $124.00 a month (spread evenly over a 10 month plan with Southern Maryland Oil SMO with a 'no increase in oil price' clause), so we average about $300.00 a month. I very rarely use the dishwasher, but wash/dry an average of 5 loads of clothes a week. In the summer it's pretty close to the same.

We just replaced the AC and Oil Furnace last summer.

I think heat pumps are more expensive to run, and baseboard electric heat is the even more expensive.

backagain39

My brother lives in SC close to the Georgia state line up next to Atlanta, so it gets cold there during the winter. He has a 2000 sq ft home and he pays 60 bucks a month for all electric and he has young kids.....................

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08

:howdy: I was raised in Fresno.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
My brother lives in SC close to the Georgia state line up next to Atlanta, so it gets cold there during the winter. He has a 2000 sq ft home and he pays 60 bucks a month for all electric and he has young kids.....................

Damn that's cheap! :faint:We have zero kids, turn the thermostat down to 65 during the day and try to be energy conscious....in the evening we have the thermostat set to gradually go up to 68-70.

I forgot to add that our water bill with METCOM is usually $13.00 or so.

backagain39

Damn that's cheap! :faint:We have zero kids, turn the thermostat down to 65 during the day and try to be energy conscious....in the evening we have the thermostat set to gradually go up to 68-70.

I forgot to add that our water bill with METCOM is usually $13.00 or so.

Yes it is cheap!!!....he moved about 2 years ago. The rest of my family is trying to sell thier home and move to Huntsville Alabama and I am currently looking to move also. I am just waiting on a job to come through. I am looking in Central Virginia. I found a 4 bedroom 2 bath home with 5 acres for $94,000. I am headed out this weekend to look at it. And no it's not falling to the ground, its only 3 years old................

nicole_M

Yes it is cheap!!!....he moved about 2 years ago. The rest of my family is trying to sell thier home and move to Huntsville Alabama and I am currently looking to move also. I am just waiting on a job to come through. I am looking in Central Virginia. I found a 4 bedroom 2 bath home with 5 acres for $94,000. I am headed out this weekend to look at it. And no it's not falling to the ground, its only 3 years old................

Wow!

My water bill with Chesapeake Ranch Water Co. is about $40/month, a little more in the summer...Watering all my plants and garden...One month it was $100.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Wow!

My water bill with Chesapeake Ranch Water Co. is about $40/month, a little more in the summer...Watering all my plants and garden...One month it was $100.
Yikes!! :shocked: Sometime during the summer, ours is a little higher than the $13.00 norm, but NEVER $100.00...Even $40.00 a month seems high (to me anyway)​

nicole_M

Yikes!! :shocked: Sometime during the summer, ours is a little higher than the $13.00 norm, but NEVER $100.00...Even $40.00 a month seems high (to me anyway)​

3 kids, 3 baths per day (almost everyday) -- Then DH and I showering...Laundry, dishes, etc....The $100 may have been about 6 weeks...I'd have to find my stub for that month. But yeah, I just paid it and it was $47. My cheapest were about $12-14 for one or two months. (Probably Summer when we were away for 14 days of the month :lmao:)