Good American Revolution Book

H

Heretic

Does anyone know of a good history book focusing on the time around the American revolution? Im not looking for any of those "my story" books I am looking for a history book. What they taught in school on the early history of America is #### poor at best and I want to learn more.

SmallTown

Football season!
Hey, I asked Hessian about this exact topic a few months back. Hopefully he will see this thread and point you in the right direction, or PM him and he'll be more than happy to give you some names of books. (look at his profile and you'll see he is really into this type of stuff)

SamSpade

My favorite book on the subject is still "The Idiot's Guide to the American Revolution". Very informative, lots of detail, easy read, deals with much of the events leading up to and after the War. I agree with you, I don't care much for the "my story" or biographical accounts, I just want to know - what happened? I still go back to this book for a lot of stuff. It's my favorite time period of American history.

The Founding Brothers is also a great read, but deals primarily with the events after the war and the creation of the republic. A little daunting at times, but worth it.

Once you get those down, the famous biographies available become easier to follow, because you already have a background of knowledge built.