Anyone ever been to Grocery Auction?

west

Has anyone ever been to a Grocery Auction at Chesapeake Auction House........i know there was one today. I haven't been and was wondering how a "grocery" auction works??? Is it worth going? THANKS :howdy:

K

Kain99

I Love Auctions! Haven't tried a grocery auction yet but it sounds fun!

luvscats

I saw an advertisement for one at the auction house. Never been to one tho. Was wondering what the auction is about. Large quantities? Surplus goods? Where do the groceries come from?

K

Kain99

I can see myself, going fist fighting over a frozen bag of peas! :lmao:

WeekEnd2008

yes i have been to a couple

Has anyone ever been to a Grocery Auction at Chesapeake Auction House........i know there was one today. I haven't been and was wondering how a "grocery" auction works??? Is it worth going? THANKS :howdy:

you just have to look at the dates on the products some times they are way out of date and you dont fight over items lol
you can get some good deals some times and just have to be a smart shopper
if you never went to one you will have go to at least one

Hessian

Please,...

know what prices are before going!
It is frustrating to people who budget carefully and have lunatics bidding 5.00 on a Box of Corn flakes. I don't know how many times I have sat with people who shake their head in wonder and say "I'm going to go to Walmart, buy 10 rolls of toilet paper and sell it here for 20.00!"

Some people also have a grasp of how many items are being sold....if they have a pallet of grape jelly, don't drive the bid up to 3.00! They sometimes are willing to drop the price after a bid is taken...but: buyer beware. Are you bidding on two/three/five of an item???

Bring a cooler chest: they have frozen items you DON'T want melting..I even bought ice cream once-it was good! (Yes, I brought a cooler)

Yes. Went 2 years ago. Got a real good deal on a beautiful pork loin. If you bid smart, and don't get caught up in the auction fever, you can get good deals.

know what prices are before going!
It is frustrating to people who budget carefully and have lunatics bidding 5.00 on a Box of Corn flakes. I don't know how many times I have sat with people who shake their head in wonder and say "I'm going to go to Walmart, buy 10 rolls of toilet paper and sell it here for 20.00!"

Some people also have a grasp of how many items are being sold....if they have a pallet of grape jelly, don't drive the bid up to 3.00! They sometimes are willing to drop the price after a bid is taken...but: buyer beware. Are you bidding on two/three/five of an item???

Bring a cooler chest: they have frozen items you DON'T want melting..I even bought ice cream once-it was good! (Yes, I brought a cooler)
:yeahthat:

lbreder

2into4
The last food auction we went to I got 5 cans of lumo crab meat for $3.00 a can. It was such a good deal. We made crab soup out of it. We have gotton several things from there with really good deals. As one person said before, check the dates and dont bid high on something that they have plenty of. They always drop the price and have lots of it. No need to fight we all share food and what we get. I have walked out with things that people just wanted one of and didnt want the rest. Good bunch of people and lots of laughing! Prepare to buy, buy, buy!!!

lw047677

My mom works at the Chesapeake Auction House in St. Leonard! She's the young blonde thats in the 'lobby' where you check in & out.
I believe they get their groceries from one person...it's not a consignment auction type deal.
Bring a cooler deffinately.
& do beware because sometime they will go for more than what they are in the store. But if nobody bids then they'll usually do a bulk lot where you can get like 2 for $5....blah blah blah. All the food my mom has brought home has been fine, and cheaper in the long run.
It's especially good if you have a big family & buy a lot of groceries.

Enjoy the auction!

lbreder

2into4
My mom works at the Chesapeake Auction House in St. Leonard! She's the young blonde thats in the 'lobby' where you check in & out.
I believe they get their groceries from one person...it's not a consignment auction type deal.
Bring a cooler deffinately.
& do beware because sometime they will go for more than what they are in the store. But if nobody bids then they'll usually do a bulk lot where you can get like 2 for $5....blah blah blah. All the food my mom has brought home has been fine, and cheaper in the long run.
It's especially good if you have a big family & buy a lot of groceries.

Enjoy the auction!

I know your mom! Shes awesome!! Its alot of fun going to the grocery auction. The people are more laid back and out having some fun. Most people share things if they get too much and they always are giving out samples. The man who brings the food will lower prices if need be but will also tell you how long the food is good for. I have my bake sale the same day but right after Im running to the auction. See you all there!