My Bala

J

jaybeeztoo

I went to feed tonight and noticed the largest Bala was stuck in one of the ornamental things. Poor thing. We went into doctor mode and pulled the ornamnet out and put it in a bowl of "fish" water. We managed to get it unstuck from the ornament and he's back in the tank. For about 10 minutes, he just floated there....now he's moving around, but he's a bit tore up. He's lost lots of scales and looks like he has some puncture wounds from trying to fight his way out. His eyes look a little cloudy, but I hope to God he survives.

Someone mentioned putting "slimey" stuff in there. Will that work? I don't want my shark to die. :bawl:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I went to feed tonight and noticed the largest Bala was stuck in one of the ornamental things. Poor thing. We went into doctor mode and pulled the ornamnet out and put it in a bowl of "fish" water. We managed to get it unstuck from the ornament and he's back in the tank. For about 10 minutes, he just floated there....now he's moving around, but he's a bit tore up. He's lost lots of scales and looks like he has some puncture wounds from trying to fight his way out. His eyes look a little cloudy, but I hope to God he survives.

Someone mentioned putting "slimey" stuff in there. Will that work? I don't want my shark to die. :bawl:

Stress Coat or Aquarium Salt.. might help.

Watch where the scales are off/ scratches for infection, may require an anitbiotic in the future.

And just to add.. I bought 9 fish mail order from liveaquaria.com.. VERY happy, but shipping was $35 (and worth it). You won't want to order ONE fish this way, but you can get a lot of fish there that you can't get anywhere else.

J

jaybeeztoo

Stress Coat or Aquarium Salt.. might help.

Watch where the scales are off/ scratches for infection, may require an anitbiotic in the future.

And just to add.. I bought 9 fish mail order from liveaquaria.com.. VERY happy, but shipping was $35 (and worth it). You won't want to order ONE fish this way, but you can get a lot of fish there that you can't get anywhere else.

Thanks Bob. I'll try the Stress Coat and see how he does. He's still kicking it today but is less active than normal, but he is swimming around. His right eye is still cloudy and his wounds appear to be okay, no blood. I think he's probaby very sore still. He doesn't hold his top fin up anymore either. Hopefully he didn't break it.

Again, thanks for the advice.

J

jaybeeztoo

Cloudy eye?

It may be coincedence to being stuck..

Cloudy eye could be Ick..

His face and nose got pretty beat up so I really think it's from being stuck. It's only the one eye.

If it is Ick, what is that and what do you do for that?

I added some stress coat today and he's gotten a little more active. The Red Tail is being very aggressive and chasing all the fish around, so the injured guy has been hiding out a lot but I've caught him running back and forth in the tank and kissing his reflection.

Poor thing. I guess he didn't realize how big his gotten and he can't fit through all the small spaces anymore.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
His face and nose got pretty beat up so I really think it's from being stuck. It's only the one eye.

If it is Ick, what is that and what do you do for that?

I added some stress coat today and he's gotten a little more active. The Red Tail is being very aggressive and chasing all the fish around, so the injured guy has been hiding out a lot but I've caught him running back and forth in the tank and kissing his reflection.

Poor thing. I guess he didn't realize how big his gotten and he can't fit through all the small spaces anymore.

I had one of my Dempseys do the same thing. The opening on one end was big enough for him to get into, but the other end was too small, and he couldn't turn around.. had to take out the decoration and destroy it to get him out. He's still kicking, and bigger than my fist.

Good luck.

J

jaybeeztoo

I had one of my Dempseys do the same thing. The opening on one end was big enough for him to get into, but the other end was too small, and he couldn't turn around.. had to take out the decoration and destroy it to get him out. He's still kicking, and bigger than my fist.

Good luck.

We tried to cut the decoration but he ended up coming out before we destroyed it. I could get rid of it but that is where the Red Tails like to sleep :ohwell: