Old Pax Photo 2

Photographed at NAS Patuxent River on 29. June 1954. Courtesy Bob Winters via Andy Massa.

Attachments

• batmen Patron 24.bmp
    51.8 KB · Views: 244
  • pax.bmp
    72.9 KB · Views: 208

red_explorer

Neat!!!! My dad will get a kick out of that one. He came down here as a child from Baltimore with my grandfather to service engines on the base around WW2 and remembers seeing planes, etc. Thank you!

Theodore

Ahhh ..... the old "wheels up landing" trick.
I will bet the CO thought it was interesting.

I have seen wheels up landings before and the tips of the props are curled the oppisite way than the one in this picture. Strange! I wonder if it fell off of its landing gear during an engine runup.

Also the object that someone posted was on the tail is actually on the wing tips. strange pic:whistle:

bohman

I have seen wheels up landings before and the tips of the props are curled the oppisite way than the one in this picture. Strange! I wonder if it fell off of its landing gear during an engine runup.

Also the object that someone posted was on the tail is actually on the wing tips. strange pic:whistle:

Thanks. Now I see that it's a pod on the wing. I still have no idea what it is!

limblips

PREMO Member
Thanks. Now I see that it's a pod on the wing. I still have no idea what it is!

The aircraft in question is a P-2 Neptune (unsure of specific model might be a P-2V5) The "pod" on the wing is a huge searchlight. It was controllled via a joystick like arrangement from inside. The aircraft was indeed the predessessor to the P-3 Orion series and was used for anti-submarine warfare and surface search and surveillance, hence the spotlight. Todays technology is infrared.