Tips on saving electricity

timex

I'm thinking about turning the temp down on my hot water heater to save on my electric bill. What temp should it be set at?
Does anybody else have some energy saving tips?

_MightyMouse_

_USMCScoutSwimmer_
I keep my thermostat at 68 and turn my PC off after each use. Another good tip is to put a magnet on your meter base :lmao: I used to be a meter reader for SMECO some years back and ppl would try this...

Instead of time drying your clothes in the dryer, use the automatic settings so the dryer let's you know when your clothes are dry.

Last edited:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I wish I could get to my water heater :ohwell: and if I could, I would not know where the thermostat was :lol:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Insulate your crawlspace/unheated basement.
CFLs
Check weatherstripping around windows and doors
I think the recommended temp on the water heater should be 120*
Insulate your HW heater and hw lines out.
Use high draw appliances at off peak times.
Alternative heat sources

Like Mighty Mouse said-Turn off your comp @ the surge protector. Stand by power is still drawing.

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
When you find it, it's in the raised blue rectangular object on the front. Oe screw each at top and bottom.

I can see the water heater. It's very old and 5 feet tall but it's a tight squeeze to get to it and I can't move my full size stacked laundry unit. I will try to get to it tonight.

I'll take my phone so in case I get stuck, I can call for a pull out :lol:

Cowgirl

We set our thermostat at around 62. Set it lower during the day when you're not home. Turn off all lights when not in use. Unplug chargers (cellphone, etc), wash your laundry on cold settings, hang laundry to dry, turn off all appliances (TV, DVD players, etc.).

poster

I'm thinking about turning the temp down on my hot water heater to save on my electric bill. What temp should it be set at?

Don't use it - seems to be the only thing that works at our house.

Seriously, get a timer for you water heater it's well worth it, set it to be off when not at home or during night - no need for hot water then. Also wash clothes in cold water and dry on low heat or hang up. Unplug anything that's not being used. This is a pain but it does help, all those little clocks on the front of the dvd player take power. I've also heard that leaving chargers plugged in (cell phone) when not being used draw electric. I've really cracked down in our house about lights, tv's being left on. I only use 1 lamp in the living room at nights - has been driving hubby nuts. Every little bit counts - my bill is a little ($20-$40) better depending but it adds up and will probably get a little better once everyong gets in the "turn the lights off" mode. Since really paying attention to the lights I'm amazed at how many people turn on a light vs. pulling up the shade.

Ladybug76

We keep our thermostats at 66 both upstairs and down. If it gets a little chilly, I will bump it up to 68 for a little while. We keep the vents and doors closed in the rooms we don't use very often (basement, guestroom, etc.) We also try to run the major appliances (washer, dryer, and dishwasher) either first thing in the morning or later at night. The electric company that we used in California had "peak hours" where the rates were higher--in the afternoon and early evening. I don't know if this is the case here, but we are used to doing it that way.

The house we live in has very good natural light, so we don't even need to use the lights that much during the day.

Haven't gotten my SMECO bill yet this month, but from what I'm hearing it's going to be bad.....

Toxick

Splat

I would have said use oil heat. But that was a long time ago....

Nowadays, I think the only solution is for the citizens to form an unruly mob, complete with whiskey, pitchforks, clubs and torches. Then we storm SMECO's parking lot and burn effigies of employees until they lower their rates back to something sensible.

If that doesn't work... the beheadings begin!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Run an extension cord through your window to a neighbors outside outlet.

:yay: :yay:

We keep our thermostats at 66 both upstairs and down. If it gets a little chilly, I will bump it up to 68 for a little while. We keep the vents and doors closed in the rooms we don't use very often (basement, guestroom, etc.) We also try to run the major appliances (washer, dryer, and dishwasher) either first thing in the morning or later at night. The electric company that we used in California had "peak hours" where the rates were higher--in the afternoon and early evening. I don't know if this is the case here, but we are used to doing it that way.

The house we live in has very good natural light, so we don't even need to use the lights that much during the day.

Haven't gotten my SMECO bill yet this month, but from what I'm hearing it's going to be bad.....

That can't be right. They do not know when you use power. They barely know how much you use on a monthly basis. Peak hours just get passed on to us no matter what.

Ladybug76

We set our thermostat at around 62. Set it lower during the day when you're not home. Turn off all lights when not in use. Unplug chargers (cellphone, etc), wash your laundry on cold settings, hang laundry to dry, turn off all appliances (TV, DVD players, etc.).

Good recommendations! When my boys were really young, we put up a retractable clothes line in our back yard. It didn't look too junky since I could just roll it back up when I was done. At the time the rates in California were crazy. We had $350+ electric bills for a 1500 sqft house. The house was built in the 70's and still had the old windows, etc. It was awful! We put ceiling fans and floor fans in all of the rooms. Although some days it would be so hot that it felt like the fans were just moving the hot air around.

poster

That only works if you don't have a dishwasher

because..........

I thought a dishwasher heats it's own water?

Try setting the temp back 5* each week to find your lowest comfort temp.
Is there an actual temp recomendation for any health reasons or is it a personal comfort/safet issue?

I can see the water heater. It's very old and 5 feet tall but it's a tight squeeze to get to it and I can't move my full size stacked laundry unit. I will try to get to it tonight.

I'll take my phone so in case I get stuck, I can call for a pull out :lol:

The settings on the heater aren't absolutely accurate. To see what the REAL temp is, let the hot run for a few minutes and put a thermometer under the tap.